3,457 results
All reviewsmedieval banquetafternoon teafour poster bedfeature roomgarden restaurantgrand featurelady cravensconesmurder mysterycountry parkspiral staircasenooks and cranniesgarden roomroll top bathbeautiful hotelsteeped in historyfinger sandwiches
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

I’ve stayed in a lot of hotels as I travel all over for work. This is in my top 2 (1 being The Europe in Ireland).

The hotel is set in an old abbey with a moat in the middle of a country park. You couldn’t get a better setting.

I’ve seen many a period building turned in to a hotel and sadly they have become shabby and unloved, this place has seen nothing but love and care. The lobby is absolutely stunning full of its original period features, candles, cosy arm chairs and even a confessional. That first impression doesn’t dwindle either as you discover more of this fascinating building, the whole place is like a museum.

I received a warm welcome from the front of house staff and I was checked in speedily. I used the impressive staircase to get to my room which was was a cosy double on the 2nd floor. The room was beautifully decorated & in keeping with the building, it was probably the quietest room I’ve ever slept in. The bed was comfortable and the room had everything you need over looking a beautiful garden and woodland.

Dinner is in the garden restaurant which is a beautiful setting. Food was hot, tasty and well presented and they bring you a warm mini loaf of bread with oils whilst you wait, which were delicious. Plenty of staff on hand who can’t do enough for you.

Breakfast again in the garden room I had poached eggs on toast, which among other items, you can order for no additional cost. The self serve items were plentiful and you can even have Bucksfizz.

I spent time in the grounds which are lovely to walk around or sit and admire the view with a drink or two. There are lots of lovely country walks right on your door step. Although it’s based in a country park the hotel grounds & gardens are reserved only for hotel visitors so it’s nice and peaceful.

Parking is available at a small charge of around £5-£8 for 24 hours (sorry I can’t remember the cost exactly). There is no gym/spa on site but it really doesn’t need it, you can however have complementary use of the facilities of a neighbour hotel.

The hotel serves afternoon tea and hosts medieval banquets which look fantastic. The hotel unsurprisingly is very popular with weddings - it’s picture perfect.

I will be returning here. I’ve not uploaded a lot of pictures as I’ve left the best for you to see for yourself. If you are looking for a nice relaxing break or to treat someone to an impressive romantic or special weekend away this is the place - you won’t be disappointed!

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Good afternoon & very many thanks for taking the time to leave such a complimentary & detailed review following your recent visit here to Coombe Abbey.
I was delighted to read that you had such an enjoyable stay & I can assure you that I will forward your comments on to the whole team here at the hotel.
I was also pleased to hear that you were able to spend time in the 500 acres of magnificent parkland that surrounds the hotel
I very much look forward to welcoming you back for a return visit at some point in the future.

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Visited Coombe Abbey many times, the building itself is fabulous with lots of character our only complaint with it is because it is old it tends to be cold, we ate in the garden restaurant which is in a conservatory and was very drafty sat by the windows, also the room was not warm despite the heater being on full it only blew out cool air.

Room Tip: The feature bedrooms are worth the extra as some of the basic rooms are quite small
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2018

Good evening & thank you for taking time to leave a review following your most recent visit here to Coombe Abbey.
Whilst I am of course pleased to hear that you have visited on many occasions please do accept my personal apologies if you have also encountered issues regarding heating. Although the building is indeed incredibly old in certain parts, that can not be used as an excuse. I will certainly discuss your comments with our maintenance department.
I very much hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back again at some point in the future.

Kind regards

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

One of many visits for afternoon tea and again they never disappoint. Apart from the stunning surroundings and warm welcome the service and food is outstanding. Today we had afternoon tea with wide choice of teas and coffees. Choice of sandwiches and the opportunity to swap anything you dont like for something else. Beautiful scones with as much jam and cream as you need. A selection of cakes and desserts all done with real imagination. Refills of tea/coffee and sandwiches if you wish but dont be fooled you will not go home hungry. And if you cant finish it a neat little box to take it home.
We held our wedding here 3 months ago too and that again was an outstanding experience from start to finish. Everybody from the moment we arrived to the moment we left was welcoming and helpful. Would definitely recommend.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with family
Ron T, General Manager at Coombe Abbey Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Good morning & very many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review following your most recent visit here to Coombe Abbey for afternoon tea.
I was thrilled to learn that you had such an enjoyable afternoon and will certainly pass your comments on to my colleagues in both the kitchen and the restaurant.
I very much look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

First time here and it was such a lovely experience. Treated a friend to afternoon tea. The staff were so friendly and helpful. They even accommodated what food we did and didn't like which was lovely. Not had that option at other afternoon tea experiences. Usually left what I didn't like. The weather wasn't great so we didn't get chance to walk the grounds. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends

Good evening & thank you for taking the opportunity of sharing your thoughts with us following your recent visit here to Coombe Abbey for afternoon tea.
I was delighted to read that you appear to have had an enjoyable experience & I hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back when the weather is a little better so that you can take full advantage of the 500 acres of magnificent parkland that surrounds the hotel.

Reviewed 3 April 2018

What a beautiful setting and what a beautiful room. The staff were really helpful and the service and food in the Garden Restaurant was great. We had chocolates left on our pillow which was such a nice touch.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple

Good afternoon & very many thanks for taking the time to leave such a kind review following your recent visit here to Coombe Abbey.
I was delighted to hear that you appear to have had a pleasant stay & very much look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back soon

Kind regards