“excellent location and some parking advice!”

Malmaison Birmingham
Ranked #22 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 21 November 2007

First visit to Malmaison - met all expectations. Didn't use restaurant because there are lots of places to eat in The Mailbox (complex behind the hotel). You need to book to eat in on Fri/Sat - always packed!
We went for the German Christmas Market in New Street which was great fun and just like the real thing - it is only a five minute walk and the Bull Ring no more than 10 mins or so.
BUT DO NOT PARK WHERE THEY SUGGEST! - it is £17ish per day (as it's below Harvey Nics). If you are arriving from the west, use The Red Cage carpark on the left just before the Mailbox on your right. It is just the other side of the fly-over in front of the hotel and is only £10.50 a day (with a sign saying the council plan to drop charges to £8.50!) It's also a lot cheaper than the ones near the bull ring - £9 for 4-6 hours.
We also took a trip out to the Jewellery Quarter and picked up a couple of pieces at really good prices. There are no up market cafes (apparently the best is next to the museum - interesting tour - but it closed on Oct 31 for a refurb) but the one just behind the Tourist Info is a lot better than it looks. It's no frills but quick and friendly and charges £3.00 for full brekky, toast and tea!

22  Thank sarah-on-her-hols
Write a ReviewReviews (2,404)

Reviewed 14 November 2007

The Malmaison, a great concept but only adequately executed in Birmingham.

The room was nice and for £99, good value considering you can pay that
much at some of the travel chain hotels.

Ok, so the TV and stereo were a little dated but the rest of the room was clean and large.

The Petit Spa was quite nice as well with helpful staff and reasonable
prices.

The bar was nice, typical high class hotel bar, shame about some of the patrons, Birmingham's nouveau riche.

The only problem with this hotel is the reception staff. They are appallingly rude. For example, trying to check in I was told to wait as the woman was lighting some candles! And when we tried to call for a cab it took 20 mins and 25 attempts to get through to them.

Don't let the reception put you off, its OK value for the location and
quality of the rooms.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank davej_anderson
Reviewed 8 November 2007

I arrived to the hotel and was excited with the location and cleanliness of the hotel. The room had a large bed, and the room size was bigger than many other hotel rooms for that price.

The customer service was terrible. I am a frequent business traveler and am used to the problems that come with staying in a hotel. I am very understanding and accepting when hotels run into these issues because MOST hotels accomodate when something goes wrong. Or will go out of their way to answer any questions you may have. I made several simple calls to the desk asking questions and received the same answer "I don't know and I'm not sure how to find out" and that was it.

The worst part about my stay was that there was no water for 3 mornings in a row. I had to go into work so this was a huge issue for me. When I Called to the front desk I was told they were trying to fix it but couldn't provide any more information or accomodations. When the water did come on, it was cold and I was never able to take a hot shower. Even with a kind, legitimate complaint (which I never do), I was not reimbursed for anything or even apologised to.

I am a frequent traveler and will never stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank DRTraveler03
Reviewed 20 October 2007

Stayed for the £99 'room, dinner and breakfast' rate.

We waited around the foyer for about 20 minutes as Ian Brown and his band were having a few problems checking in. However, this wasn't an inconvenience - more of a pleasant surprise as we were going to his gig later on that evening. Charlton Althletic Football team were also staying here the night we stayed.

Our room was exactly as expected from the advertising. However, there was barely half a roll of toilet paper in the bathroom and the box of tissues was damp. The shower was hot enough but had varying pressure. The shower gel is lovely. I expected a more powerful hairdryer than I got. Not enough milk was provided.

The towel allocation was stingy. One small hand towel and one bath towel. Anyone with long hair should bring a spare towel. I was slightly wheezy in the night, which I believe was from the pillows. Someone who has a cat as a pet must have used then before me. This has never happened in a hotel before, so I can only assume that I have been lucky enough to have had freshly laundered pillows at every other hotel I have ever stayed at before, or no-one who owns a cat as a pet has slept on those pillows before me.There was no choice of anti-allergy pillows available nor was there a blanket should the thin duvet not suffice. However the bed was comfortable.

I stayed here two years ago and the breakfast then was awful. Wet, sloppy scrambled eggs served on a cold plate with fridge-cold smoked salmon. I can't comment on the breakfast on this current stay as I didn't have it. Other people's poached eggs looked good though. Half an hour after we had ordered our cooked breakfasts, I noticed that people who had arrived after us were being served their hot breakfasts. I asked the waitress who originally took our order if our breakfasts would be long and she took the order again. After two further tables had been served (including a couple who had ordered exactly the same as we had, but at least 20 minutes after us! - were they eating our breakfast?) I spoke to another staff member to enquire after our food. I asked for a pot of tea, as we had finished our coffee.I was given an empty coffee cup (rather than a tea cup) but this didn't matter anyway as the tea never arrived. The mixed toast consisted of 7 halves of granary and 1 half of white toast (toasted several minutes ago and served to us cold with hard butter).

To top it off, the hen party/wags? to our left had visitors to their table, so I had someone's bum right next to my plate. A further group from the same hen party then invaded the table to our left and began talking across our table loudly. The final straw was when one of this party got up and squeezed past our table and her bum actually knocked over my cup. We could not tolerate this any longer and and left.

Out of all of the staff we saw during our stay, most were in their late teens/early twenties. I never saw any staff member older than 25 years old. Does great customer service come with age and experience? Despite this, I cannot fault the bar staff.

I will not be staying in this chain of hotels again. I do not believe they provide the level of service required for a pleasant, smooth stay.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Nancyshhdoll
Reviewed 18 October 2007

I stopped at Malmaison again this weekend and my check in was quick and easy! when i went up to my room there was a bottle of champagne and a note from the manager to welcome me back to the hotel which was a really nice surprise :)

everything was great again, and an added bonus was seeing the whole of the WWE team over the weekend! Carlito even helped me with my case :) see even the rich and famous choose Malmaison! :)

If your looking for a place to take someone special or somewhere to relax and just enjoy your weekend choose Malmaison Birmingham :)

Stayed: October 2007