New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel

Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel
Ranked #68 of 141 Hotels in Birmingham
Barrow-in-Furness
“Good hotel but second mortgage needed for drinks”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 April 2012

Good clean rooms. Comfortable bed. Plenty of staff. Meals OK.

The big downside is the cost of drinks at the bar. £4.60 for a pint of bitter and £9.00 - yes nine pounds - for a glass of wine!

You are a captive audience so they can charge what they like!

2 Thank barrowboy35
RossMounsey, Manager at Hilton Birmingham Metropole Hotel, responded to this review, 12 April 2012
Dear Barrowboy

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments following your recent visit to the hotel.

I was very pleased to see that you had found your room to be comfortable and do hope that we may welcome you back again in the near future.

Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (908)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hampshire, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Stayed here while attending an exhibition at the NEC March 2012
The hotel is very convenient and although I read reviews that some rooms needed upgrading, mine was absolutely fine.
I was able to park my car in the hotel car park and leave it for 4 days as you can walk accross to the NEC, which I found very convenient. However beware the cost is £15 per day.
We ate in the buffet restaurant each night. The food was perfectly acceptable although nothing to write home about. Breakfast was good but it could get very busy at peak times and you might have to queue.
If I had one complaint it was the bar prices. There is no point driving into the city when you are working late in such a location and the hotel must know this. So as you might expect, a business hotel of this type can be expensive but I got stung for a large bottle of water (Pelegrino 70cl) at a whopping (wait for it) £7.40p ! ! ! Yes that's not a misprint, I did say water and yes, I did say £7.40p - sorry but that's taking the p*** big time, and then some.
That said, on balance, a very useful location and not a bad hotel, especially if you are attending something at the NEC, just watch out you don't trebble your room rate by getting ripped off in the bar

2 Thank Paul W
Dear Woody Fleet

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read that you had found our location ideal for easy access to the NEC. I was surprised to see you had paid full price for parking, as our residents typically receive a discount for parking. Perhaps if you contact me I will arrange for a refund of the excess charge you have paid.

The hotel's prices are constantly monitored to ensure we remain competitive and I can assure you that the prices charged throughout the hotel are in line with those charged at other 4 star establishments throughout the country.

I hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Stayed here with my partner as she was attending a 2 day conference. so i had the days to myself and time to enjoy the hotels facilities.
First impressions of the hotel were decent. a typical extra large airport style hotel, with not too much around the area. They do have a small newsagent in the hotel which is very usefull!

Througout the duration of our stay the reception was always busy, however our checkin went smoothly without any waiting around.
I believe our room was an executive room and it was very nice. spacious and clean, with all the necessary amenities and a very comfortable bed!
on the first evening we opted to go for the buffet restaurant, which was fairly good. there was alot of variety and everything seemed relatively fresh, however the service left alot to be desired. slow and unprofessional. at one point i had to get up ask a waiter if i could get a glass of water. this was after trying to get their attention for more than 10 minutes. not one member of staff even looked towards our direction, and the manager (the only gentleman in a suit) was too busy setting up tables at the back of the restaurant, which i presume were for breakfast the following day.
The second day i decided to use the health and fitness centre, which was very nice. clean, clinical and had all the necessery equipment. It was enjoyable and the staff friendly.
After a swim i was extremely hungry and had lunch in the bar, i went for one of the burgers (which they specialise in) i must say the burger was delicious and i ended up having the exact same lunch the following day. unfortunately my lunch was let down yet again by the poor non attentive service. One evening we had dinner in the bar. Fair enough the bar was very busy, but that was no excuse for the terrible service i recieved. it took approximately 15minutes for the staff to notice we were sitting there, and another 10 to order our drinks (after asking), after finally ordering our food, 35minutes later it still hadnt arrived. This was fustrating as my partner had work to do in our room, so this was delayed. after speaking to a manager he agreed to bring the food to our room for no extra cost as it had taken so long to arrive. a fair solution but initially we wanted to eat in the bar or we would have ordered room service. Other than the service in the food outlets, the stay was good. a real shame as the hotel is nice.
Carparking is decently priced and the staff friendly. Overall a decent stay.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Instinct_10
Dear Senior Reviewer

Thank you for your review following your stay with us.

I was pleased to see that you had generally enjoyed your time with us and that you had the hotel's facilities and restaurants to be as you would espect. I was however disappointed to see you had experienced slow service. Please rest assured your comments will be shared with the relevant management with a view to improving levels of service in these areas.

We hope we may have the opportunity of welcoming you both back to the hotel in the very near future.

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

I usually find Hilton hotels quite good, and this one was no exception.

At the NEC Birmingham for a couple nights, the hotel were able to accomodate my co-worker and I both with early check-ins the morning of our arrival around 11am---always a nice plus.

I loved the fact that there was a balcony door which easily opened to allow fresh air in. While only March, there was an exceptional warm spell, and I was able to sleep with the window open.

There is a bit of a woods around the Hilton Metropole, which makes it feel more than just a tradeshow hotel. Food at the lobby bar was good, but we did head out for dinner the one night we were there, as the hotel restaurants did seem a bit "borning".

Overall, staff and service levels were excellent. A shuttle runs to and from Birmingham Intl, so you don't have to drag your bags along. It's a short walk to the NEC in nice weather, but it may seem a tad long in rain or less pleasant weather.

I would not hesitate to stay at this locations again.

Dear TedNes

Thank you for such a positive review.

I was delighted that we were able to offer an early check-in and that you found everything to your satisfaction.

I was very pleased that you found the levels of service provided by our staff to be excellent and thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2012

Despite booking my room many months early due to the poular demand (located near NEC), this time I ended in the B-lobby wing which appear to be needing quite the renovation. As the hotel was full I was not able to move or upgrade and so was stuck in a room "benefitting" from noise from the hotel machine-park of air circulation equipment and compressors, possibly the noise was louder due to the fact that the french balcon door wouldn't close tight and so the room was very drafty.

First morning I discovered that my inroom iron wasn't working, so made call to repair or replace during the day while I was away busy at one of the many tradeshows in NEC... only to find out again next morning that this had been forgotten, and so lost valuable time placing another call with housekeeping and then waiting for them to bring replacement.

I have stayed at this hotel before for business, but after this disappointment will not do so again. A decent room providing a good nights sleep must be the minimum to expect - instead I had restless nights due to noise and draft - and unattentive service to match.

I can tell that the hotel is busy and succssfull with full bookings and numerous conferences and events going on - but please focus also on the basics? @sorenpowholse

Room Tip: Avoid B-lobby rooms