“Not a great experience”

Apollo Hotel Birmingham
Ranked #102 of 118 Hotels in Birmingham
Reviewed 18 April 2011

Stayed in the Apollo hotel, this weekend (The 16th April). Stayed in room 212 (don't stay in that room)

There are some positives to this hotel, there is free car parking and the hotel is in a good location, also the shower worked and was hot.

However, the negatives outweigh the positives. The room was dark with not all the lights working, the bed was the worst bed I have ever slept in it has springs sticking out everywhere. It was like the ones you find in a student house except worse! Also we were woken up at 4am by a group of screaming girls it seemed reception (which was below our room) did nothing about this. The bedding consisted of a sheet a blanket and a cover, both the cover and the blanket clearly hadn't been washed and the blanket was covered in hair.

The breakfast the next morning was okay, although the staff were rushed off their feet,with everything running out constantly.

I have stayed in a lot of budget hotels recently but this has to be one of the worst!

Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pageygal

Reviewed 18 April 2011

When we arrived at the hotel, we wondered if we had inadvertently wandered onto a housing estate!

The reception was not at the front of the hotel but hidden around the back. Having been ignored by the male behind the desk, we were eventually checked in - though he did not know what to do as we presented him with an Ebay voucher.

To be honest, when you go to this hotel, it feels like you have moved into a rather poor block of flats. The front doors open directly onto a pretty grotty balcony walkway, and they have letterboxes. As two females, we felt quite intimidated and unsafe because of the constant noise and shouting etc....

As there are also buildings opposite with parking in the middle, the whole area is extremely noisy. With various parties arriving during the night, the noise was unbearable - at one point a minibus full of shouting people was outside for about 30mins and this was at 2am! We simply could not sleep.

The refurbished room was dingy and too small. It was also cold. Satellite TV is a bit of a joke as we couldn't get a decent reception on the extremely small television set provided.

The staff are lovely, but really inept. Breakfast was chaotic though the food itself was very nice and there seemed to be plenty of it. Unfortunately, the advertised room service does not exist - we were informed the chef had not arrived yet!

Having experienced the lack of quality of this hotel, we simply would not return and neither would we recommend it. Keep driving !!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank suebj2004
Reviewed 12 April 2011

we stayed in a twin room which was a good size for two people. beds were comfortable with clean cotton sheets, t v was a little small for the size of the room with only a sellected few chanels. bathroom was very clean but smelt unpleasent as extractor fan did not work. i found it a little noisy during the night due to guest late arrivels and road noise but it was not unduly bad. breakfast was a full english which was included in the price of our room and was very nice.all the staff were pleasent and helpfull. on the whole i would stay at the Apollo hotel if i ever have need to stay in that area again . and i would recomend it to my friends. get 2 keys if one of you is a smoker as the room key is needed to work the electric, but is also needed to open security doors to get back into hotel area

Room Tip: get 2 keys to work electric & outside doors
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2011

I admit I was slightly worried having read all the reviews on here before my stay at the Apollo.
However I was pleasently suprised, I was very nicely greeted by a young lady on the desk.
I had booked a double standard room with breakfast included, the young lady informed me that the hotel was undergoing a refurb and she offered me one of the new rooms to try.
I was very happy with this little bonus, Check in was quick and efficient.
I stayed in room 125 which is a stone throw away from the reception, brilliant when your carrying your bags, (Which I was offered help with).
The room was light and fresh and very stylish.
The breakfast is fantastic, there is a choice of contiental or full english, I had a little of both.
Food cooked very well, perfect to set you up for the day.
All in all, I would say my stay at the apollo was very comfortable and I will be booking again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 March 2011

Any positive reviews on here must be fake for this hotel.

I stayed here for three nights in March 2011 on a training course. Thank God it was work who paid for it as if it was my own money paying for it, I'd be fuming even more!

Firstly the guy on reception took numerous phone calls before taking the time to check me in. Eventually I did make my way to the room, which was of a very poor standard. It looked like it hadn't been re-furbed in at least 25 years. The door into the bathroom had large patches of masking tape over holes in the door following attempts to knock it down. Wallpaper was beginning to peel down on one wall. The bed was very uncomfortable. Numerous stains on the carpets. TV only had a few channels with a decent picture. Noise travelled easily between rooms. On one of the three mornings there was no hot water. In the bathroom was an electric heated towel rail, the cable connecting into it, along with the end of the rail had a lot of singed burn marks. Now, I'm not an electricial, but that did not look safe to me. There was a hole in one of the ceiling panels. The call for lift button did not work on the 3rd floor, so you could go up but not come back down in block F. The wi-fi did not work, when enquiries were made at reception the answer was "only the manager can authorise this and he's not here until next week". On the positive there were biscuits provided every day.

As for the meals, again disappointing. The service was dreadful. There was a group of six of us eating in the hotel 3 times per day. The woman of African origin who took our orders was hopeless, each time there was 2 or 3 orders that came to the table that was not what was ordered. The meals generally were not hot. One night I had tomato soup for a starter, along with most others on the course, and no one had more than a spoonful, it was cold and was thicker than porridge. It was so bad that instead of us having the free meal that work had paid for, most of us went to the pub over the road and paid for our own meals. The breakfasts were a bit better, with a buffet of sausage, eggs etc.

The hotel isn't a cheap hotel either. Behind reception were the prices per room per night and these ranged from £75 to around £130. The 3 course meal on an evening was approx £13, save yourself some money and go over the road.

There is a Premier Inn just a few doors down the road, go there instead.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled on business