All reviews tribute band home from home wedding party buffet style full english clean hotel public areas stayed here for one night yogurt carvery
Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

I attended with a group of friends for a tribute night recently.
We paid £30 per head for dinner and to watch the tribute/DJ.

The food was poor. I pre ordered carrot soup - the soup that I was given was certainly not carrot, I ate one mouthful. Main course was fish with rice and vegetables. Dry fish and frozen veg?
The dessert table is monitored by staff so that you help yourself to one piece only, the cake being the most edible part of the meal.
Certainly not worth the money we paid.

The tribute act was fun and got everyone up dancing.

This could be a really great night if more car was taken over the food that is served.!

Stayed: October 2018, travelled with friends
Mark A, General Manager at Great Barr Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2018

Dear Madam,

Thank you for voicing your concerns. I am concerned in relation to your comments as the food is prepared from fresh produce on the day of the function. The soup is carrot and coriander and the kitchen team prepare this themselves and the primary ingredient is carrot.
The trout is again cooked fresh on the day of the function and the vegetables are prepared and cooked on the same day also, I can assure you that no pre cooked items or frozen vegetables are used on our menu. Yes we have staff to monitor the dessert table as we want to ensure there is sufficient for everyone, as when we order for the numbers booked we cater for that number and it is booked in and also to replenish as required.
I am pleased that you enjoyed the act and I would like to reassure you that we do aim to deliver a good quality product and service.

Reviewed 4 October 2018

Phone reception is very poor, internet connection is very poor.Breakfast is excellent and all you could wish for. All staff are helpful. Have stayed here before and the only thing I wish they would do something about is the youths on bikes that hang around outside. It is really offputting and a bit intimidating.

• Stayed: October 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2018 via mobile

Reception staff are fabulous breakfast staff also great.
The first evening the bar staff were lovely but when we had family over the second night the meals were brought out at different intervals and the well done steak that was ordered had to be sent back 3 times and still came out pink and was inedible especially as it was now 1.5 hrs after other meals had been finished. When we complained the staff were rude and we were just told they had a busy night .
The rooms were clean but in desperate need of updating the mattresses were old and lumpy the walls had been poorly painted over .
And the hairdryers are that old it cut in and out .

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2018

We attended a pearl wedding party.

Room is great, very clean and fits about 80/100 nicely.

The buffet was gorgeous, lovely quiche chicken samosa and so on. Really good food.

A very enjoyable night, thank you.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled with family
Mark A, General Manager at Great Barr Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 September 2018

On behalf of all of the staff and myself, I would like to thank you for sharing your comments on this site. We are delighted that you enjoyed your evening with us. I hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 6 September 2018 via mobile

I’m a college student and through our studies we have to stay here for lengthy periods of time throughout the year. We have complained on numerous occasions about food for different reasons such as undercooked food, waiting times exceeding 1 and a half hours and on complaint for such issues we felt we were ignored multiple times. This makes us feel as though we are not paying customers and that they put other customers ahead of us quite frequently. So I would strongly advise you avoid this hotel.

Stayed: September 2018, travelled on business
6  Thank anonymousN9996UD
Mark A, General Manager at Great Barr Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2018

Many thanks for sharing your concerns, I believe I have spoken with yourself on the evening in question. I would like to assure you once again that where you feel other customers are put ahead of yourselves is not the case.
As I explained on the evening, we had just gone live with our new menu and we did experience some small problems with service. Also on the evening in question the hotel was very busy and there were a large number of food orders placed within a very short period of time, as such I hope that you were advised at the time of ordering that there may be a longer than normal wait. However I share your concerns that one and a half hours is unacceptable. I believe we have now put measures in place to avoid such instances happening again in the future. I have also emailed one of your tutors so that I can sit and discuss these matters with them next week.
Obviously as I have said previously your business is very important to us and it is our aim to provide all of our guests with the same level of service, and we will continue to aim to deliver the same level of service to all.
Once again let me apologise for the experiences that you have had whilst dining at the Great Barr Hotel and let me assure you that myself, the bar staff along with the kitchen staff are all working to the same aim of providing a much improved level of service to yourselves.
If you wish to discuss any of these matters with me further I welcome the opportunity to discuss them with you further.