“The secret garden !”

Winterbourne House and Garden
Ranked #5 of 312 things to do in Birmingham
More attraction details
Owner description: Restored to its Edwardian Arts and Craft splendour, Winterbourne House is a unique heritage attraction – set within seven acres of beautiful botanic gardens. Only minutes from Birmingham city centre, Winterbourne is a hidden gem – home to beautiful antiques and over 6,000 plant species from around the world. Wander along the woodland walk, stroll through the hazelnut tunnel, cross the 1930’s Japanese Bridge or simply soak up the tranquillity of this perfectly English Edwardian home.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Wasn't aware of this place until the day I had the pleasure of being brought here.

Low and behold the place was beautiful, interesting and a delight for the soul. Was lucky with the weather and it brought out the excellence of the garden and surrounding beauty of the place. Even though it is early for plants and flowers it was still tranquility trip for the eyes.

Reception & Tea room staff were smiley and pleasant to talk with.

Entry fee okay, and level with these types of places.

All in all a lovely place to visit.

2  Thank Jayombi
in 9 reviews
"family history"
in 9 reviews

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

We spent a relaxed and enjoyable couple of hours walking around the gardens and then the house. We were most impressed with how well the gardens are kept and the variety of different environments in such s small area. It is all well labelled .
The house is beautifully preserved and interestingly explained.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

My wife and I visited Winterbourne House recently. It was our first visit and we were delighted. In particular, the old printing press was a real treat. The staff were enthusiasts; knowledgable, informative and obviously passionate about their craft. The whole visit was excellent. I highly recommend the house, gardens and the letter press.

Reviewed 27 March 2018

We stumbled across the Printing Press while visiting Winterbourne and were so glad we did. The two guys were friendly, enthusiastic and informative about this method of printing which was dominant from the 1400's to the 1900's. They showed us how the letters are made, put together, inked and pressed onto paper. The workshop is beautiful and well worth a visit! They make all the gift cards and signage for Winterbourne House and love to answer questions. (N.B. visitor demonstrations are on Friday)

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 March 2018

We had met here before for basic lunchtime fare. We thought it was a convenient location to meet. However, the final time we visited a female member of staff came up to the car and told us we were only welcome if we were members/current university personnel or visiting the house. We were made to feel most unwelcome and so I didn't consider membership. I grew up with one of the family's great grandchildren and she wouldn't qualify for a visit either, since she also went away to study.

1  Thank sallyxp
winterbourn, General Manager at Winterbourne House and Garden, responded to this reviewResponded 19 March 2018

Dear Sally

I do feel there has been a breakdown in communication here for which I apologise. Winterbourne is free for members, current university staff and students, and anyone else for that matter who wants to visit the site. There is, however, a small admission fee of £6 for adults or £5 for concessions to pay to access the entire site which includes our tea room.

We are not in a position to allow visitors to use the tea room free of charge as we have a very small car park and the location of the tea room is such that it's not possible to access it on its own. I'm sure you can appreciate that in order to preserve the house and garden for the future enjoyment of visitors, and the history of the family who once lived here, a small charge is necessary. We simply would not exist if we did not charge admission.

I'm sorry if the person you spoke to was not welcoming enough. We have had many issues with people parking here illegally and perhaps the member of staff was braced for a difficult conversation. For that I apologise.

Please feel free to email me directly via our enquiries email address marked for my attention should you wish to discuss the matter further.

With best wishes