“Dishonest staff - think twice about staying!”
Review of City Nites

City Nites
London, United Kingdom
“Dishonest staff - think twice about staying!”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I am a doctor at a NHS hospital in London. I stayed here with 2 other doctors for a conference at the ICC which is nearby. I was asked to handover my credit card initially for a preauthorisation payment of £250 which I queried but was assured that it would be automatically refunded provided there was no damage done to the room. The flat itself was ok, no frills but fine . We stayed for 3 days and left the room in excellent shape. One day after checkout I reviewed my credit card statement and noticed that City Nites had charged me £210. I was confused and called staright away. The receptionist was disinterested, promised to call me back and didn't. I called a total of 4 times and it was not until I informed them that I had involved the fraud team at my bank that a refund was issued . I urge you to think strongly before you stay here. Had I not checked my statement I would never have noticed this charge. Upon reading several other reviews on trip advisor I noticed that quite a few guests had similar experiences. I will definitely NOT be staying here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank teens100

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Thai first
gloucester
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Myself and three girlfriends booked in to a 2 bed with en suite bathroom for one night in April 2012. The apartment was spotlessly clean and had everything you could want/need for an overnight stay (*or even longer). Just across the road from the NIA and only a 5 minute walk from many bars and restaurants and the Mailbox, 20 minute walk from the Bull Ring. Reception was friendly and efficient and booking in/out was quick. Free Wi-Fi, fully equipped kitchen and two bathrooms, DVD, TV and a balcony! All good and would definitely stay there again, especially for the prices charged for both the apartment and parking!

Room Tip: We stayed on the top floor of Block A.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Work took me to Birmingham and it was my company's word of mouth that we stayed here.
I had a decent stay here.

The complex is divided into 4-5 sides - block A,B,C, & D( i do not remember seeing E though).
Block A is where the reception is.

I stayed briefly in block B and in block A - I stayed in a 2 room apartment for about 18 days and a 1 room apartment for 2 days.
Be cautious of the options of 2 bedrooms sharing 1 bathroom. We were accidentally put in one such apartment in B, we requested a change and we were immediately given 2 bath option in block A.

My friends in D did tell me that they had dishwasher too. 3 different rooms that I stayed in, I did not see any dishwasher though!

The "service" in service apartments should be looked at. i had the following observations:
1. some light points do not work, unless the guest identify the problem, the staff apparently seems unaware of the same
2. in my case, even the exhaust did not work
3. I had to ask for scissor and chopping board, it was not in the apartment but was expected.
4. Welcome pack could have a little more than tea/coffee preparation stuff (that barely last for a day - my stay was for 20+days)
5. Some sinks' stopper are flawed
6. No telephone landline in the apartment
7. Service manual for appliances not available/complete for all rooms
8. Block B has lousy wifi, in fact some of my friends ended up coming to our apartments to connect to wifi
9. Roads were being made till 1 am in the night, the noise was intolerable for 4-5 days and cause sleeplessness, no courtesy extended unless the road facing apartment guests complained.

Comparisons naturally arise when you have seen other options of better nature.

Having said all that, it is the pro-activeness and smiles of the front office staff that made the experience far better than what you could imagine after reading all things above.

Let me tell you some great things too:
1. Friendly and courteous staff - surprisingly, they remembered my name, apartment number and even knew who i was friends with.
2. My mails were attended to and handed over promptly
3. security is a bonus
4. you get 1 free car park if it is included in your package/rate
5. Very very centrally located - every taxi man knows where city nites is on Edward Street!
6. 10 minutes walk from shopping area, a minute away from NIA and sealife, another 30 seconds and you can be taking a stroll on the canal side
7. 10 minutes walk to 24 hr tesco on summer hill

Room Tip: If you need a good night rest, ask for rooms that do not face roads. If NIA has a concert, you bet t...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PreetiParti
Cardiff
Reviewed 4 April 2012

Stayed here for one night after going to the NIA to see Chris Rea, the hotel is situated right opposite. It is also right by the canal where you can walk for miles or take a trip on a barge. Sea life is a 5minute stroll away. I travelled by train and the hotel is about 10-15minute walk from New Street station. There are loads of restaurants close by and all tastes are catered for.

The hotel itself: Reception staff were very efficient and had us checked in within a short time. You do have to pay a returnable deposit of £250 providing there is no damage to the room it is returned upon checkout. Checkout was a bit slower because they have to check the room before giving the deposit back. The room is fully equipped with everything you need to cater for yourself, it is like home from home. You have a kitchen/diner/ living room with 2 double settees and a flat scrren tv. cooker and full size fridge. The free internet access was really good. We had 2 bedrooms, one being en suite. They are a good size with a 6ft bed in each. The rooms were clean along with all the corridors and lift. There wasn't much in the way of traffic noise, but I could hear a train blowing it's warning horn. When you leave the room you have to remember to lock it, as it doesn't lock automatic. They have parking at a charge.

Would I recommend this hotel to my best friend: Yes
Would I stay here again: Definately

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I stayed here as a last minute trip . The staff were excellent , nice secure parking at a reasonable rate , nicely equipped spacious apartment . We were upgraded free of charge which was much appreciated !
Checkout was very easy and staff were very friendly . Great alternative to a hotel right next to the NIA and brindley place . Go and check it out !

• Stayed March 2012