“Sack the dessert chef for his brulee - but everything else good enough”

Hilton Warwick / Stratford-upon-Avon
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Warwick
Reviewed 27 March 2012

PROS - Stayed so we could visit Warwick Castle for our son's birthday - staff kindly gave a card and special dessert. Rooms were clean and spacious and beds beautifully firm. Good atmosphere in the smart bar area. Breakfasts offered plenty of choice, all correctly cooked and presented well. Swim pool very pleasant. Great connections to motorways and absolutely no traffic noise. Excellent for familes.
But CONS - Dinner - the double baked cheese souffle starter was very sunken indeed, more than one would expect. We were quickly offered a replacement, and the duck terrine was good. Main courses of lamb, and the steak were well presented and tasty. But beware the passion fruit creme brulee. Must have eaten dozens of these over the years and have never encountered anything like this before. The china terrine was piping hot to touch, the caramalised topping may have been crisp but was swimming in greasy residue, the top and sides of the brulee had started to separate and were hot to taste, yet the middle was still ice cold and firm. We complained and the waiter wondered if it had been placed under a grill to caramelise instead of using the blow torch, and we pointed out that surely warming up a cream based chilled dessert was not advisable. To be fair we were offered a replacement, but by this stage were a little bit sceptical of getting a pudding worth piling on the calories for.
I should point out the restaurant was not even half full, so the chef was not too busy to get it right. Standard of the starters and dessert certainly not worthy of the Hilton name.
Bathroom decor in the club room could have been a bit more stylish eg. cheap wall tiles marred the effect of the marble floor.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,655)

Reviewed 26 March 2012

Brilliantly located for both towns, just off motorway roundabout. The team that work there were all really friendly. We managed to secure excellent rates for Bed & Breakfast. The breakfast was incredible and worth the money we paid for it although like with most hotels the full rate for breakfast was expensice. They also had Costa coffee conscession in house too but this was very expensive. Car parking was only £5 per day. Would definately stay again.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor which had AC noise so if you are sensitive to noise I would avoid the 3rd f...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
johilton, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Warwick / Stratford-upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2012

Dear SA L

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

I am pleased that you found the Hotel's location met your needs and that you really enjoyed our breakfast service as this is one of the many aspects of our hotel that we pride ourselves on.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Warwick/Stratford-upon-Avon in the future.

Reviewed 23 March 2012

A very corporate hotel but distinguishes itself from other similar hotels because of the friendly staff, very clean and bright decoration and excellent location in the centre of England.
A well laid out bar area and food in the restaurant was above average for a business Hilton, the restaurant does close early at 9:00 but decent bar food is served until 11:00. The car parking was a fiver per night. I hate paying for parking but it is better than some.
I had a disabled room which was a good size, my colleague had a normal single room and was well… shall we say compact ? fair value at £100 per night for my room but not so happy withthe price for a normal single room.

Room Tip: disabled rooms are larger than standard single rooms
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear Paul B

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased to note that you found the hotel's location ideal for your needs and you found our staff both professional and friendly and also pleased to note that you enjoyed the food in our restaurant.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Warwick/Stratford-upon-Avon.

Reviewed 17 March 2012

Ok, this is a hotel that makes loads of money from business people because it has a great location but my word it just rips you off if you don;t have a corporate card. I was there 4 days and it was packed, conferences, meetings etc....

The rooms are basic but clean and really, really over priced. I had a Club room which in any other hotel gets you extras but not at the Hilton. I think the massive room rate meant that I got a dressing gown, wonderful! They charged me 5 pounds a day for the benefit of parking my car and you have to pay for the woeful internet. 25 pounds for the 4 days of maybe it will maybe it wont work. Having stayed in many hotels around the world I just don't know what makes them feel so special. Their not and this hotel is really, really average at best.

My best moment came from room service. I ordered a pizza and it was burnt to a crisp. Tell me, how did this terrible plate of non food ever leave the kichen??

So overall, dreadful, over priced, really bad staff and management. But hey, if you've got a corporate card who cares?? will not be returning.....

Room Tip: Stay at the Travel Lodge across the road, not here
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank irishexileBahrain
johilton, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Warwick / Stratford-upon-Avon, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2012

Dear irishexileBahrain

Thank you for writing a response here on Trip Advisor.

We fully take on board your feedback with regard to the quality and is consistently a focus for us. We score very well with guest surveys, however there is always room for improvement and we welcome feedback to help achieve this.

With regards to car parking, these charges were introduced because of the spiralling costs of operating, maintaining and securing the car park and surrounds of the hotel. Since being implemented in March 2005 at the Hilton Warwick we have achieved a virtually crime free area and is therefore proving to be a major deterrent, a situation many of competitors would like to be in.

Your loyalty is important to us and look forward to welcoming you back in the future to allow us the opportunity to demonstrate a level of customer service and quality we are proud of.

Reviewed 13 March 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights on business.
Certainly the best Hilton I have stayed in by a mile. Very clean and bar/restaurant is well laid out and very comfortable. I had bar meals which were excellent. The major plus was the breakfast choice, much better than many hotels I have ever stayed in.
As I arived early I tried the pool, a bit on the small side considering how big the hotel is and the steam room wasn't working as well as it ought to either.
My room was clean and tidy, bathroom a tad on the small side but everything worked
Parking was free on this occasion
Staff very good and particuarly quick in the bar.
Definetely would use it again

Room Tip: The hotel is close to M40 so choose a room at the back ideally
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business

Dear Newquaygreen

Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent stay.

I am pleased to note that you enjoyed our restaurant/bar and in particular our breakfast and found our team members to be professional and efficient.

Your loyalty is important to us and we look forward to welcoming you back to Hilton Warwick/Stratford-upon-Avon.