“Consistently high standrds”
Review of Penryn Guest House

Penryn Guest House
Reviewed 30 July 2017

I have stayed at Penryn 4 or 5 times now and standards have always been high. Everything is clean and comfortable and there are thoughtful little touches in the rooms. The breakfast is excellent - yoghurt, fruit and cereals on a help-yourself basis. The cooked breakfast is done to order and there is a range of coffees and teas. I once had to stay in another guest house in Stratford because Penryn was full and the breakfast was not a patch on Penryn's. The staff are friendly and helpful and it's useful to be able to leave one's car if walking into Stratford. It is a little out of town, but not more than 15 minutes' walk to the centre. I would highly recommend this guest house.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GuestHouseStratford, Owner at Penryn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2017

Thank you so much about your detailed review. It is our pleasure to have you here and we look forward to welcoming you again. Always contact us directly to book a room as the rooms are not always available online. Best regards, Elena & Dan

There are newer reviews for Penryn Guest House

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Stayed with 3 friends in June, all our rooms were nice, very clean, comfy beds and came with fans.
Breakfast was lovely and could use the fridge downstairs to put our drink in.
Very friendly.
About 15 minutes walk to town which was fine but taxi is only a couple of pounds if wanted.
Would happily stay again if in the area.

Room Tip: We had 3 rooms and all were fine.
  • Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
GuestHouseStratford, Owner at Penryn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2017

Thank you for writing the review. We are glad you found our rooms very clean and with comfortable beds. We do hope you will have the opportunity to return to Stratford as it is a lovely town all year around...best regards, Elena & Dan

Reviewed 11 July 2017

Our second stay here with our dog Lola
Ideal for walking in Stratford and surrounding area.
Comfortable and clean with a superb breakfast
Elena and her staff are friendly and obliging
Would thoroughly recommend

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Many thanks for writing the review and for returning to stay with us. We are glad you liked the detached room and you find our breakfast excellent. We look forward to welcoming you next time. Best wishes, Elena & Dan

Reviewed 7 July 2017

Unfortunately this is said to have been just a ten minute walk to the town, however it was more like 20-30 minute walk at a leisurely pace ( as you are on a break ), we were out in what I would describe as a renovated garage, we were not informed to access shower water you required to put on a switch outside the bathroom , most difficult to regulate water either boiling hot or freezing cold ( lucky weather was hot ). Breakfast was ok, bed was comfortable, no fridge for storing a cold drink, owners were fairly scarce, my computer screen is larger than the smallest tv I have seen for many years so went to pub to see some of the tennis, did go to RSC play which was pretty good, Warick castle is a pretty good day out birds of prey show excellent , Ann Hathaway's house fine , river cruise nice and relaxing. Took a river side walk to Welford no real signage for very large parts of the walk , there was an area which had moved away from the river climbing upwards very unsafe rails or no rails at all one saving grace a very nice pub lunch at The Bell, more accurate signage required it is suppose to be 2-2-30 hrs took us 3 and a half after going wrong way a few times. Now back to guest house it was very clean.

Room Tip: Try somewhere closer to town not on the edge of town ask for inside house rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
GuestHouseStratford, Owner at Penryn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2017

Hello Rhonda,

Thank you for your comments. I will address them as I believe the rating you have given us is unfair.
I have choosen to put you in the garden room or the detached room (which yes was a garage many years ago but it is a room loved by a lot of guests) as you stayed with us 4 nights and this room offers privacy, with access to the little patio and it is very quiet being off the main road. We have many returning guests just for this room. Obviously from your review, it did not suit you, but we are prepared to know we cant pleased everyone, although we try!
The TV - it is a small TV if you compared with the giants tv, but the size is most than suitable for the distance from where you are watching it.
The shower - I do apologize if it wasn't explained how to use it, I will address this with my staff. For your information, there are clear indications in the brown folder on how to use it.
Guests can store their drinks in the 2 fridges in the dining room. We dont put fridges in the room as they can be quite noisy....
Owners scarce - I personally came down to your table in two of the mornings trying to initiate a conversation but you gave me the impression you dont want to engage in one...you did not even greet or smile when you made your appearance for breakfast in the morning...I am not an intrusive or chatty host and I will never be. I am more than happy to have a two way discussion when I feel my guests want this.
Distance -Google maps say we are situated 0.8miles to the centre of the town which is the American Fountain on Rother Street ( as defined by the Stratford upon Avon Council). It is down to each individual how long it takes to walk this distance. But a reasonable person would do it in 15 minutes the most at a leisurely pace.
Enjoy the summer whatever you do....

Reviewed 6 July 2017

I recently stayed at the Penryn for a weekend with two lady friends. My room was very clean. I had a lovely shower, as the temperature was constant all the time. The breakfast was lovely too. Nothing was too much trouble for Elena she was very lovely as was the other lady there I spoke to. I would definitely recommend the Penryn and would love to stay there again if I was in the area. Thank you to the Penryn Guest House for a lovely stay!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank dianehW6154RU
GuestHouseStratford, Owner at Penryn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

Many thanks for your lovely review, it means a lot to us. Hope you will visit us again. Regards, Elena & Dan