“Too far away”
Review of Penryn Guest House

Penryn Guest House
Reviewed 7 July 2017

Unfortunately this is said to have been just a ten minute walk to the town, however it was more like 20-30 minute walk at a leisurely pace ( as you are on a break ), we were out in what I would describe as a renovated garage, we were not informed to access shower water you required to put on a switch outside the bathroom , most difficult to regulate water either boiling hot or freezing cold ( lucky weather was hot ). Breakfast was ok, bed was comfortable, no fridge for storing a cold drink, owners were fairly scarce, my computer screen is larger than the smallest tv I have seen for many years so went to pub to see some of the tennis, did go to RSC play which was pretty good, Warick castle is a pretty good day out birds of prey show excellent , Ann Hathaway's house fine , river cruise nice and relaxing. Took a river side walk to Welford no real signage for very large parts of the walk , there was an area which had moved away from the river climbing upwards very unsafe rails or no rails at all one saving grace a very nice pub lunch at The Bell, more accurate signage required it is suppose to be 2-2-30 hrs took us 3 and a half after going wrong way a few times. Now back to guest house it was very clean.

Room Tip: Try somewhere closer to town not on the edge of town ask for inside house rooms.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
GuestHouseStratford, Owner at Penryn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2017

Hello Rhonda,

Thank you for your comments. I will address them as I believe the rating you have given us is unfair.
I have choosen to put you in the garden room or the detached room (which yes was a garage many years ago but it is a room loved by a lot of guests) as you stayed with us 4 nights and this room offers privacy, with access to the little patio and it is very quiet being off the main road. We have many returning guests just for this room. Obviously from your review, it did not suit you, but we are prepared to know we cant pleased everyone, although we try!
The TV - it is a small TV if you compared with the giants tv, but the size is most than suitable for the distance from where you are watching it.
The shower - I do apologize if it wasn't explained how to use it, I will address this with my staff. For your information, there are clear indications in the brown folder on how to use it.
Guests can store their drinks in the 2 fridges in the dining room. We dont put fridges in the room as they can be quite noisy....
Owners scarce - I personally came down to your table in two of the mornings trying to initiate a conversation but you gave me the impression you dont want to engage in one...you did not even greet or smile when you made your appearance for breakfast in the morning...I am not an intrusive or chatty host and I will never be. I am more than happy to have a two way discussion when I feel my guests want this.
Distance -Google maps say we are situated 0.8miles to the centre of the town which is the American Fountain on Rother Street ( as defined by the Stratford upon Avon Council). It is down to each individual how long it takes to walk this distance. But a reasonable person would do it in 15 minutes the most at a leisurely pace.
Enjoy the summer whatever you do....

There are newer reviews for Penryn Guest House

Reviewed 6 July 2017

I recently stayed at the Penryn for a weekend with two lady friends. My room was very clean. I had a lovely shower, as the temperature was constant all the time. The breakfast was lovely too. Nothing was too much trouble for Elena she was very lovely as was the other lady there I spoke to. I would definitely recommend the Penryn and would love to stay there again if I was in the area. Thank you to the Penryn Guest House for a lovely stay!

Stayed: June 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank dianehW6154RU
GuestHouseStratford, Owner at Penryn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

Many thanks for your lovely review, it means a lot to us. Hope you will visit us again. Regards, Elena & Dan

Reviewed 26 June 2017

I stay here regularly with work, having tried numerous guest houses and hotels in the area. This place is great value, spotlessly clean, the owners Dan and Elena are really friendly and they do a top notch breakfast. Would recommend highly.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
GuestHouseStratford, Owner at Penryn Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2017

Many thanks for your review. It is our pleasure to have you here every week. Have a lovely summer. Best regards, Elena & Dan

Reviewed 26 June 2017

Very nice guest house, lovely room and good food, staff were friendly too. Would stay there again for sure. Strong smell of air fresheners but not really a problem as they can be unplugged.
Close to the town centre and attractions.

Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and we would certainly be very happy to have you back again. Many thanks

Reviewed 15 June 2017

We stayed at the Penryn for 3 nights at the end of May.. and felt it was all very good. Very well presented en suite shower room with lovely shower gel and shampoo.. and hand wash and moisturiser. Hair dryer provided if needed. Tea/Coffee Tray and kettle was lovely with very good biscuits.. with herbal teas also provided. also a box on the shelf with sewing kit and plasters in. Very comfortable bed too.. A reasonable walk into town... and a lovely little back route walk through to Ann Hathaway's Cottage.. (check it on the phone/OS map).. We also enjoyed our breakfasts.. with a variety of cereals and fruit provided.. then toast available.. followed by your choice of breakfast.. full English/Vege and Omelettes.. Great Stay. Thank You very much.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your lovely review, it means a lot to us. Hope to see you again the future. Have a lovely summer. Best regards, Elena & Dan