“great surprise!”

Baba Yaga
Ranked #122 of 1,304 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Price range: USD 4 - USD 19
Reviewed 12 December 2016

Polish restaurants are a bit thin on the ground in Newcastle so we were intrigued to discover this one. It's not exactly in the most attractive location but if you are ready to brave Benwell then the rewards are many.
The first impressions were very positive and reminded us of many we have visited in Poland - quirky, eclectic and unique. Mismatched tables and chairs, a piano, giant paintings, mini chairs hanging from the ceiling, huge ornate chandeliers - all go to making this a restaurant with a difference.
And the food doesn't disappoint either - tasty, generous and authentic. It's a meat eaters delight and those who had the mixed grill starter and the rye flour soup with bacon and egg loved their dishes. My cheese with baked apples and cranberry chutney was equally good.
The mains were excellent - chicken livers with mashed potatoes, pork with potatoes and my veggie option - crispy croquettes filled with wild mushrooms and saukraut were superb.
With drinks the whole bill for four people came to around £80 - incredible value. The friendly waiter topped the evening off with some Polish Vodka shots - not for the faint hearted! This is a real find for Newcastle and worth a visit for so many reasons.

Reviewed 12 December 2016 via mobile

We saw the place as we drove past and it looked nice so we dropped in for dinner. So glad we did! Hearty Polish traditional food was perfect for winter. We shared a hunter's stew (a meal in itself) then went for a main each. The pork neck steak in spices was really tasty and perfectly cooked. I had fried chicken livers with onion and mash which was excellent. Next time I'm going for on of the dumplings though. They looked lush.

The surrounding are eclectic, but it is comfortable. Its clearly popular with the local Polish community as all the other customers at 18:30 were eastern Europeans. The European feel is further enhanced by the huge video playing Europop in the open (and very small) bar area at the back of the place.

Reviewed 7 December 2016

If you haven't had Polish food before, I can appreciate that trying it for the first time could be a little daunting - and when you Google Polish dishes, sometimes the images of the dishes don't look so appetising.

However, Polish food always tastes fantastic and at Baba Yaga, the food is both tasty and authentic and presented in a fresh, modern and vibrant way.

Having Polish grandparents, I have been brought up to believe food is the remedy for everything. Tired? Eat. Wide awake? Eat. Poorly? Eat. Sad? Eat. Happy? Then eat! And with that in mind, I hoped to be fed well at Baba Yaga - and that I was - we

The dishes smelled and tasted like my grandma's home cooked food, but it was presented to top restaurant standard. It was fantastic value for money too. One certainly cannot argue with a bowl of Bigos for £3.50 that;'s for sure.

I ordered the pierogi to share amongst the table , the bigos to start and the chicken livers for main. I skipped dessert, on account of being about to burst, but I neatly sipped away at a shot glass of cherry Soplica - since it's tradition!

Reviewed 14 November 2016

I recently visited Baba Yaga with my boyfriend to celebrate our anniversary, and I have to say it was a great choice! The interior design has a distinctive character creating an enjoyable, unconventional but homely atmosphere. Needless to say that the food was to the highest standards! Baba Yaga was a great discovery of the Polish cuisine - I am already a big fan of Easter European food! We had two portions of soup to start - a lovely Zurek and the beetroot soup served with Pierogi - and as mains, we chose a portion of boiled Pierogi and a potato pancake served with Gulash and sour cream. Finally, the happy end: an apple and cinnamon crepe garnished with cream and chocolate sauce.
Many compliments to the chef! We'll definitely be back soon!

Reviewed 6 November 2016

I've been there a couple of times, I had zurek (soup with smoked sausage and egg) and those pancakes with gulasch in between I keep dreaming about. it won't be long before I go back...

1  Thank gibao