All reviews bunk beds bottom bunk person room stag do laundry room city centre single room bar downstairs min walk family room would stay again stayed one night dormitory newcastle pounds ensuite plugs
Reviewed 2 October 2016

This is a hostel. However, I got a room for £25! That's cheaper than a bunk in a dorm in some hostels. The linen is from a steam laundry, and clean. The bathroom was VERY basic, and very small. A heavy set man might find it a tricky logistical problem to use. It looked a bit grimy, but I think that was just its age, rather than lack of cleanliness. The carpets were equally tired. But I always pack flip-flops!

The only downside was that the breakfast serving staff were not as helpful as they could be, bearing in mind there were non-English kids trying to negotiate the breakfast bar and facilities. But then the breakfast was cheap!

• Stayed: September 2016, travelled solo
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 9 November 2016

Hi TomorrowWeDie

Thanks for your feedback regarding your stay with us at EUro Hostel.

I was pleased with your comments overall and I will investigate your feedback on the breakfast team (this is not typical of the feedback I receive).

Thanks again for your comments and I hope you will come back and see us again soon.

Reviewed 20 September 2016

I spent 3 nights in a private room of this hostel, it's simple but clean and big room. The location is pretty good, near pubs and the city center. I can recommend it for both business or holidays trip.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled on business
Paul S, General Manager at Euro Hostel Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2016

Hi Thiago G

Many thanks for providing a review after your stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was very pleased to read you enjoyed spending time at the hostel and to read your recommendation.

Thanks again for taking the time to post your comments.

Reviewed 19 September 2016 via mobile

Stayed here with a group of friends in 4 rooms. Upon arrival we were made to pay a deposit of £30 each which we were unaware of and told if there was any noise in a room they would throw those responsible out, therefore losing the deposit.

Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank George W

Hi George W

Thanks for your comments.

To ensure the co-operation of all groups staying at the hostel, and to ensure that other guests are not disturbed, we request a good behaviour bond.

The bond is retained at reception and provided there are no problems or damage as a result of the group during their time at the hostel the bond is returned.

These terms are communicated to the group organiser at the time of booking and in all paperwork correspondence. It's up to the group organiser to ensure all members of the party are aware of the terms and conditions as ultimately he is the only person with contact details for everyone in the party.

Provided the group complies with our request to respect other guests staying in the hostel and behave, all bonds are returned at check out.

Thanks for your feedback.

Reviewed 18 September 2016

The staff here were lovely and my Thursday night's stay was cheap, the room was basic but clean, and I had a great night's sleep. However...

Friday night was terrible!
I didn't get a moment of sleep. People were running around the corridors screaming all night, banging on the doors (with the intent to wake people up), and trying to get into the room. I would go as far as to say that I was scared.
There was security downstairs but not up on the landings were the rooms were, so there was no way of resolving the situation.
Do not stay here on a Friday night!

Room Tip: If you have to sleep here at the weekend go for room 121 (It's at the very end of the corridor)
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled on business
1  Thank Liz_K_Miller

Hi Liz_K_Miller

Thanks very much for your comments.

I was pleased to note at least part of your stay was enjoyable.

Unfortunately, there is still a small minority of guests who stay with us who have little respect for the others staying in the hostel at the same time.

Our night reception and security team carry out regular corridor walks and correct any issued of noise or disruption but unfortunately, not every guest request is complied with.

Thanks for letting us know about your problems and please accept our apologies for any upset experienced.

Reviewed 14 September 2016

I stayed here on the weekend of the Great North Run. It is a good location no thrills accommodation. I had stayed here before and admit I preferred it the first time (about 3 years ago). We were upgraded to the 'boom room' free of charge, nice touch, but the rooms really weren't any better other than a TV which we didn't use. I probably wouldn't pay the extra to upgrade to these rooms.
Bedding and towels were clean although floor was dusty and shower room partially flooded. The shower wasn't very good at all.
The adjacent bar was good for drinking but I wouldn't recommend eating here. I'd suggest saving the £4.50 on breakfast and either buying something to make yourself on site or getting food elsewhere.
Construction site opposite was very noisy.
All in all, for a lads weekend away it does the job. I wasn't impressed at how they hiked their prices up because it was the weekend of the race but that's business right. It was still the cheapest in the centre I believe. I would stay again if I go back to Newcastle.

Room Tip: Standard room will suffice.
  • Stayed: September 2016, travelled with friends

Hi JackH1878

Thanks for your comments following your recent stay with us at Euro Hostel Newcastle.

I was disappointed to note that despite the free upgrade you didn't consider the room to be an improvement on standard accommodation.

All private rooms have a TV so that isn't the only improvement. Modern decor, additional seating, large screen smart TV, additional sockets with USB ports all add to the BOOM! experience (starting at just £3.00 to upgrade). We've had very positive feedback from our guests so far.

Breakfast isn't set at £4.50. This is a discounted price is you select 5 items but you can pick up a bacon sandwich and a luxury coffee for just £2.00. That's a pretty good option and comparable with any breakfast offer in town.

I'm afraid I have to correct you regarding our room prices. The cost of a room for Great North Weekend is exactly the same as every other weekend in the calendar. We don't 'hike' up the prices and never will but you are right, Euro Hostel was the cheapest in the city.

Thanks again for your comments and I hope you do come and see us again.