“Haggis Toastie mmmm”

The Bridge Tavern
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Bridge Tavern is an independent Brewpub & Eatery nestled directly beneath the stanchions of The Tyne Bridge
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

We often come here with our 2 daughters (12 & 13), the haggis toasties are gorgeous as is the rarebit toast, fab place & nice staff. Also dog friendly extra brownie points x

Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

Booked in for Sunday lunch with some friends and we were not disappointed. Genuinely one of the best Sunday dinners I've ever had; everything was so tasty! All of our party thoroughly enjoyed it. I need the recipe for that carrot

Reviewed 8 September 2018

We came here with friends who already knew and liked the place. Unassuming exterior, I fully expected the same old pub grub you can find anywhere. What a delightful surprise to find the unusual offerings that you can mix and match depending on how hungry and/or adventurous you are! Each person in our group ordered a completely different choice, and it was all very tasty and fresh. If I lived in Newcastle, I'm sure I would come back again to try more.

Reviewed 5 September 2018

I have never written a really bad review before but my experience was so bad that I felt it necessary. I can not understand how this place has good reviews for food, either they had a VERY bad day at the office when we went or every review is written by a friend of the owner! I literally felt ill still two days later my stomach was so upset. The fish plank starter was literally inedible. Burnt freezing cold sourdough toast, so griddled and charred it just tasted of burnt but because it was cold was like rubber. Pate was tasteless couldn’t even taste a hint of pepper or lemon, just basic requirements in a fish pate. The so called monk cheeks tasted vile, like rancid, I had to discreetly get rid of it from my mouth. The lamb curry was described as barbecued lamb curry, fried curry leaves, rice & pickle. The reality was fatty chunks of tough lamb (had never seen a barbecue) swimming in the cheapest hideous sauce, like something from a jar from a supermarket essentials range with very greasy rice. I can not actually explain how bad this dish was. As I was with a group of friends I did not want to complain or make a fuss as we had not met up for a long time. I later realised after several texts the following day we all felt the same and had all needed several rennies during the night! We had a huge wait between the starter and main course so did not even bother to look at the sweet menu, we were not offered it either. The one star is for the nice beer, the one and only thing good about the experience and the waitress who apologised for our VERY long wait. The whole experience from beginning to end was terrible in the food department and considering how expensive it was for some very basic dishes, I am still traumatised at the total waste of money, when there are amazing restaurants just across the street that we have dined in many a time. Just wanted to give this place a go, NEVER again!

2  Thank caroshabbychic
Reviewed 4 September 2018

Two of us were looking for a quieter bar on a busy Saturday night in town and called in here. The beer selection is very good with a tasting facility prior to making your choice which is extremely helpful. The staff were able to offer suggestions and were friendly and helpful. We will certainly come back and would certainly consider eating here too.