“View to a Vallum”

Ranked #166 of 1,386 Restaurants in Newcastle upon Tyne
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 30 November 2017

The start and end of a 5 mile Sunday walk was this historic countryside location.
We were greeted enthusiastically and offered a window seat with wide reaching views.
Drinks were slow to arrive but starters followed closely after. Mine was smoked, cured salmon, others had black pudding scotch eggs. All good. Mains were roasts, all diners happy. My locally farmed Aberdeen Angus topside was melt in your mouth. The mains were fully plated up which left no choice, and the full selection of vegetables wasn't to everyones taste.
Deserts were epic. My plum crumble hot sweet and well balanced with blueberry ice cream. We all left well satisfied. Minor issues prevent me from giving a 5 star review. My main was warm rather than hot, (one companion similar). Atmosphere was a bit lacking
and service wasn't slick, though friendly enough. Well worth a return visit though, and at £21 per head for 3 courses, reasonable value.

Nick S, Manager at Vallum Restaurant & Chef’s Room, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2017

Hello Andrew_M460,

Thank you for taking the time to review your visit to Vallum Restaurant & Chef's Room.

It is great to hear that you all enjoyed your Sunday lunches. Our vegetables come from our garden so we always try to incorporate something a little different onto the plate as we believe the freshness and colour are so important rather than just your usual Sunday offering.

My sincere apologies if the main courses weren't hot enough. I haven't heard this problem before as the problem I usually have is that the staff require serving gloves due to the plates being very hot. I will inform the chefs to ensure that this is taken on board and doesn't occur again.

Our plum crumble was very popular that day! Thank you for your comments on value for money, this is something we really try to pride ourselves on.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Vallum Restaurant in the near future.

Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

Just wanted to say an absolutely massive thank you to Jane, Nick, Vicky and all of the staff at the Vallum.
We had our wedding here last week and had the most incredible day! Everything completely surpassed our expectations, and coming back for food on Sunday was just perfect! The food was absolutely amazing (especially as a relatively new vegetarian, the sunflower loaf is my new favourite food!). Nothing was too much trouble and I would definitely recommend Vallum Farm as a wedding venue! Thanks again!

Hello veal867,

Thank you very much for your extremely kind review of Vallum Restaurant & Chef's Room. It was our absolute pleasure to look after you all and I am really happy to learn that everything was enjoyable for you.

I will pass your comments onto the team as I am sure they will love to hear of your review and feedback. Our sunflower loaf is certainly very popular! Great to hear that you liked it.

We look forward to seeing you again soon at Vallum. We wish you all the very best in your new life together as Mr & Mrs Veal.

Reviewed 23 October 2017 via mobile

Was very disappointed. Booked a table, and all that was available was later on. When we got there the only thing left was Beef, Veggie or Fish & Chips. Ran out of some desserts and starters so ended up only having Beef. We were told it was due to walk ins. If I'd known I wouldn't of booked a table.
Asked 3 times for bill and still ended up just getting up and going to bar.
At £12 a lunch, not including if you want sides, it's not the cheapest. Just thought it would be a better experience. I've gave it 3 as the food we got was nice.

1  Thank SteveD1997

Hello Steve D,

Thank you for you review of Vallum Restaurant & Chef's Room.

We do feel that we offer very good value for money at the restaurant as we use very local suppliers and the vast majority of our vegetables come from our own kitchen garden which ensures incredible freshness and seasonality. However, I am very sorry that when you arrived we couldn't offer our usual choice of meats. We had had an unexpected amount of walk ins that day and should have ensured that we kept back some roast pork for your reservation. My sincere apologies for this. We have addressed this in a staff meeting with the chefs recently and I can assure you that it will not happen again.

I very much hope that this won't deter you from returning to us for lunch as you will see from our reviews that our standards are usually extremely high. Thank you.

Reviewed 9 October 2017 via mobile

We visited here for Sunday lunch. We booked 2 weeks in advance, requesting a table by the window as the view is amazing. On arrival we were seated at a table in the middle of the restaurant, however this was resolved as soon as we pointed out this reservation by the waiter moving some seats around! Tip: request a window seat!!

The service was a bit slow to start, it took about 15 mins for our drinks to come after we ordered. The staff are lovely, if not s little slow. This was when we were the only ones there, and one member of staff was standing around doing nothing. Having had this bumpy start, we weren’t too impressed until the food came.

I had the fish cake to start, turkey for main and sticky toffee pudding for dessert. It was absolutely divine and so delicious and tasty. I couldn’t fault the food at all. It was a lovely meal full of fresh ingredients and packed with flavour. I would definitely return for this.

I note that there were quite a few flies in the restaurant, nothing we couldn’t cope with until after the meal when a big spider and wasp also appeared, leading us to make a sharp exit! Part of what is to be expected being in the countryside, but maybe not in a restaurant?

Overall an amazing meal, but service could be improved a little!

Hello btilley300,

Many thanks for taking the time to review you visit to Vallum Restaurant & Chef's Room. We are so happy to hear that you enjoyed our cooking.

It is very rare that we have any negative comments regarding our service so this is very surprising to hear. However I will certainly speak to the staff members who were on duty that day.

My sincere apologies if you were put off slightly by the spider/wasp incident. I can assure you that we do a full sweep of the restaurant before opening to ensure that it is fully cleaned. Unfortunately as our restaurant is in a converted barn and we are situated on a farm, these things can happen from time to time. I hope that you can understand.

We very much hope to see you back at Vallum in the near future. Thanks again.

Reviewed 1 October 2017

Just had the most amazingly delicious lunch at Vallum Restaurant. Vallum Garden salad to start was fresh, crips, colourful and delicate. Succulent rare roast beef to follow looked and tasted wonderful with fresh perfectly cooked vegetables, crispy roast potatoes and huge yorkshire puddings. Service was friendly and efficient. I couldn't recommend it highly enough. Will tell everyone about it and be booking again before it gets too busy. Thank you Vallum

Hello crumzuch,

Thank you so much for your kind review of Vallum Restaurant & Chef's Room. We are thrilled that you enjoyed your visit. Thank you for spreading the word! We hope to see you soon.