Premier Inn Newcastle City Centre (New Bridge Street) Hotel
Leeds, England, United Kingdom
“Great stay”
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Reception staff and consierge kind of guy so freindly and helpful, they recognise that you are not from there and chat to you and find out if there is anything that you need. Even the cleaners and maids are polite. Made our trip that bit better. Would stay again no doubt.

1 Thank Lisa W

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Northallerton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 February 2012

we stayed with 2 small children last week, the reception staff could not have been more helpful and welcoming. Its central and quiet, beds very comfortable and the breakfast excellent value. The entrance area on the lower ground floor could have been a lttle more welcoming and clean looking, but apart from this its a basic good value place to stay for a few nights.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 21 February 2012

I stayed for 5 nights for business. Overall experience has been quite good. Location is excellent.

Front desk staff was relatively quick in checking me in. They didn't ask me to fill in lengthy forms - they had taken details from the reservation, which was another sign of efficiency.

I was slightly surprised that they charged my room-rent and breakfast upfront (at the checking in). When I asked why, they said it is to allow quick checkout. I am not sure whether it is the general practice in Newcastle hotels or not. I happened to checkout one day early but staff had no issue in refunding one day room charge back to me.

Room and bathroom towels were clean. Good bathroom fixtures indicated attention to details except my soap dispenser was out of soap. I informed the manager next morning, and it was done during housekeeping.

Room was small but that was expected according to European standard.

There was wireless Internet connection (for a small fee) available in the room, and speed was quite good.

Breakfast was very good. I never noticed any missing items in the buffet during my stay. Restaurant staff was very prompt in refilling them. Not many varieties but every item was high quality. We also had a vegetarian in the group, and he confirmed that his vegetarian food was good too.

It seemed that hotel was less than half full during my stay. I am not sure about the service quality when it is fully occupied.

Everywhere in the hotel was slightly dark and gloomy (could be due to bad weather). This is probably not a good place for family vacation.

Room Tip: 3rd floor didn't have enough light coming through the window. Higher could be better.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Bandu W
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 February 2012

I stayed here for one night last week, myself and my husband in a double room, and my daughter and her 2 young sons in a family room. I was impressed to find we had a sofa in the double room, and shower gel and handsoap provided. Free parking was also a pleasant surprise! The bed was large and very comfortable, everywhere was spotless, and there was plenty of lighting. We had a river view, which was nice. My daughter expected just a sofa bed in her room, but as well as the kingsize bed, there were 2 single beds already made up, which was unexpected, and very welcome! We didn't eat in the hotel, as there is a lovely Wetherspoons 10 mins walk along the river, so we went there, in fact there is every restaurant you could wish for, and loads of bars, all in easy walking distance. It's a short walk to the station or into town, albeit uphill. We usually stay in Travelodges in the area, and decided to give this a go, as Travelodge seems to be rapidly going downhill. We're so glad we did, and Premier Inn will have our custom from now on.... we've come home and booked 2 Premier Inn holidays for later in the year! It might be dearer than Travelodge, but it's getting to the point where Travelodge isn't even worth the £10 you pay in a sale, and we're happy to have found somethng reasonable but far superior!

Liverpool
Reviewed 17 February 2012

I stayed at this Hotel for 2 nights for Business at the beginning of February and i must say was very disappointed.

The Room:
The room was very small, not much space to swing any dead animals so to speak. Entertainment wise the TV was bog standard and the remote control was falling to bits (yes its not the most important factor of staying at a hotel but attention to detail is in my opinion and this would be easily and cheaply sorted). As well as it being very small the room was also FREEZING cold - the hotel clearly knew this was an issue as a bog standard electric radiator had been left in the room - i left the heating on max and the radiator plugged in for 2 whole days and still by the time i checked out the temperature on the wall did not get above 16 degrees! all the time I spent in the room I spent under the duvet just to keep warm!

The Restaurant:
As hotel restaurants go this wasn't THAT bad but it wasn't - one whole wall of the room was left undecorated with unsightly wires hanging out where I'm assuming lights will be fitted, the room is massive and was never busy so they could just have easily cordoned this area off for nobody to see.
The food, on viewing the menu, seemed good value for money with special deals for 3 courses on selected dishes I opted for these on both nights to save the company a bit of cash. On taking a bite into my first meal (garlic mushrooms with a tomato salsa) I found a rather nice big chuck of green plastic in my salsa, which i don't think would have been in the recipe, on telling the staff of this they apologised and told me this was part of the plastic lid which the salsa was stored in - no refund, no complimentary drink by way of apology????? for the rest of my time eating here I opted for safer things like burgers & chips which nobody can really mess up can they.....

The Rest:
The reception staff were not the best. On arriving with my confirmation of booking printed and clear for all to see I was asked for the credit card the room was booked on (this was not going to happen as it was booked through the company account with them) after standing around waiting for around 20 minutes they had a stroke of understanding and realised they needed a fax from the company with authority to charge the account. Whilst i stood waiting patiently after my 4 hour train journey the staff rushed round trying to find said fax. 4 people looked and 4 people said it had not arrived. Another 20 minutes passed whilst a member of staff called the emergency helpline to try and get another fax sent - being out of office hours this was never going to be a quick process. after over an hour of standing in reception a clever old chap realised that the fax machine was jammed, he removed the jam and as if by magic my authorisation fax appeared! I cant help thinking they could just have easily allowed me to go to my room and relax whilst they figured out the problem, my confirmation clearly stated the room was booked and paid for but they just didn't want to accept this. I was offered a free drink in the bar by way of apology but I'd much rather have been given the hour of my time back.
The cleaning staff attended every day but didn't seem to replace the towels which even before attempting to use them had black marks all over - luckily I had my own towel with me!

All round I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone, for the prices they charge you can stay in much nicer hotels in this wonderful City. So if you're thinking of staying here, think again and look around, you WILL find a better place to lay your head (if not 3 or 4 better places) for the same price.

Room Tip: I didn't get a good room - if they have one I wish someone would have told me!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Paul E
Kelly L, Social Media at Premier Inn Newcastle City Centre (New Bridge Street) Hotel, responded to this review, 21 February 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at our hotel. At Premier Inn we endeavour to ensure all our guests enjoy a relaxing stay in a comfortable environment and do apologise that on this occasion we failed to provide this. Please be assured your comments have been noted and will be followed up with the Management Team at our hotel. Your feedback is very much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to Premier Inn in the future.