All reviews vintage style dog bed quirky hotel on arrival sherbet bubble bath breakfast table freeman hospital chain hotels little touches finishing touches quiet area city centre the ground floor beautiful room long weekend family room
Reviewed 17 May 2018 via mobile

It’s not surprising to hear these are not good at giving receipts! They state you can pay on credit card but when you get to check out the only option you can pay with is by debit card! Money is take immediately and they charge you an extortionate fee for using a card that’s your actual cash! When I emailed and offered to pay cash because I don’t see why I should pay a fee! They cancelled my booking and said they would refund me! Which they still haven’t! No doubt I’ll get the excuse that it will take up to 5 days! How many people do they do that to I wonder! When I emailed to say I didn’t want to cancel they’ve just ignored my last two emails! Knowing it’s an extremely busy weekend that I booked I’m sure they thought that would teach me for speaking up! But I have managed to book better for cheaper! I didn’t think you were allowed to charge for debit cards any more? Any way check the rules too see very odd and extremely overpriced!

5  Thank BridieOhalloran
Reviewed 10 May 2018

We chose this hotel as it is only a few yards from my daughter's university digs, it has nice gardens and looked lovely from the outside.
I never even checked it out online, it was just a convenient place to stay. I now know it is much more than that. It is charm personified, from the beautifully upholstered sofa in the porch, the welcoming top hat full of lemon sherbets, the eclectic decor of multiple old-fashioned telephones, cinema seats half way up the stairs, a firefighters helmet, British police helmet and French police Kepi hat above the door.
The room was like staying in a Shabby Chic shop, mirrors and cushions everywhere, hairdryer, tv, fridge, two glasses of wine awaited our late arrival, along with a glass of peanuts and a glass of olives. The bed is comfortable and breakfast is served in the room.
Breakfast is brought up, cereal is already in the room and the table laid, dairy and non-dairy milk options, yoghurt, berries, bananas, pots of instant porridge, apples, oranges, plumbs, jams, fruit juices, croissant, waffle and blueberry muffin, as far as I can recall, along with tea and coffee. There is tea, many types, in the room and coffee.
The staff are wonderful, the room was clean, the shower and toilet were a little small, but one doesn't linger in there anyway.
I find it hard to get across how enamoured I am with this hotel. I put some photos of it on my Facebook and loads of people I know want to stay there having heard of it in the past, I never had.
It is a place I shall definitely use again. Such a welcome change from the bland business hotels.

Room tip: Not all rooms are en suite, so book early.
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

For those who can appreciate the finer things in life . Rosebery Hotel is full of character and quirky detail.
We stayed in room 17. It's free standing bath was the perfect solution for much needed bubbly bath me time! My husband booked us a night away to recharge batteries after a tough time dealing with his dad's poor health. It was just what we needed. Woke up feeling rested and relaxed, First time in a while.
So big thank you !
The Rosebery Hotel is situated close to shops and restraunts and close to Osbourne Road (lots of bars!).
The only down side to my visit was I didn't get to see the rest of the hotel as i was told all the rooms are decorated differently ! ....looks like I'll have to go back again!

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 April 2018

What a great find, wanted a relaxing night off from the kids, so me and a girlfriend, decided to give the Rosebery a go! What a super stylish little place this is, fantastic room, amazing king size bed and another double, roll top bath, which was great to have a soak in after a day's shopping. Really enjoyed the complimentary G&T's, we actually had 2 each!... A continental breakfast was served in the room, plenty for 8 people, never mind the two of us.

Friendly and helpful staff, who let us have a later check out the next day.

Only one this which was the issue, was that we only had the one night! Next time, I am going with hubby to stay in one of their other charming rooms.

Thanks Rosebery!

Date of stay: April 2018
Reviewed 23 April 2018

I used to stay here a lot, but got fed up of chasing the receipt for my expenses as they are never able to give one at check out, but always promise it that day....it never comes. I even went as far as recommending it to people, as I liked its slightly bonkers-ness.
I stopped staying due to the receipt chasing, but after a break of 18 months decided to give them another chance.
After 4 emails, god knows how many phone calls and 6 days I have just got a receipt! if you want to waste a lot of time chasing paperwork, stay here.
On the subject of my actual stay.....when I checked in, the woman on reception had no idea of my booking, even when I showed her it on my phone. After 10 minutes hanging round I was shown to a room
When I went to bed that night, I found a bunch of keys to the WHOLE house in my bed! Fortunately for the other residents I am neither a mass murderer or burglar.
if you have breakfast, its ok if you like sugar. it consists of:
1 sweet waffle
1 blueberry muffin
1 yoghurt
1 apple juice
1 orange juice
various cereals
1 croissant
jam.
Another reason I stayed away .......
Anyway, now, as I have had the utter audacity to request my invoice, (how bloody rude of me,) they have suggested I might want to stay elsewhere next time I am in Newcastle!!!!
Really????????? That's such a shame. As I love chasing things that I should have had a week ago. Its really boring when they just give you them as you leave!
my advice.....The Vermont, Hotel Du Vin, Staybridge suites. All fab, (and you even get an invoice :)

Room tip: dont go if you rquire a receipt
Date of stay: April 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
4  Thank Bev_manchester_8
124susi, Company Director at Rosebery Hotel Jesmond, responded to this reviewResponded 24 April 2018

Thank you for your feedback. To confirm, yes, you have stayed a few times, three times over four years and as previously stated in polite correspondence to you where we personally thanked you for your continuing support.

However, due to your harassing behaviour of not one, but three members of staff (by phone, text, email and in person) and the unpleasant and unnecessary manner in which you treated the hotel and it's very hard working staff, last Thursday whilst you were on the premises and retrospectively, after your departed.

We very sadly had no alternative, to politely suggest, that you might chose an alternative accommodation supplier, the next time you are in Newcastle.

Which we are clearly morally and legally entitled to do, are we not.

Predictably, as a result of the hotel suggesting this conciliatory measure, to ensure you will be happy staying elsewhere on her next trip, you respond with anger and resentment and a running response of vexatious claims.

Therefore, we would like to kindly respond to your slighting remarks.

To confirm, the cost of your stay was £65 inc of 20% VAT and inclusive of a £10 in room continental breakfast.

To clarify, you did receive a VAT receipt, within 2 days of your departure. You departed on Friday 20th and received the receipt on Monday 23rd.

A premium room was allocated for you, room 17, as a gesture of goodwill, as a returning guest. A saving of approximately £20.

This room is large by standard hotel sizes and has a double bed, with a free-standing 7 ft roll top bath, a large bay window a large marble fireplace, a full dining table. It is also 24 sqm2.

The bed is french vintage and restored with Designers Guild fabric, coupled with handmade bespoke silk curtains. There are also 7 lights in room 17, which include three 12 arm chandeliers.

A separate walk in shower with mirrored, bevelled tiles and bespoke sink.

Plus a Carnival Rocking Horse Lamp, up-cycled by Sarah Moore, on BBC TV's Money for Nothing.

The room is painted in a soft pink, Ground Pink by Farrow and Ball and there is other Designers Guild wallpaper and fabrics also in the room.

As well as, a chaise lounge, marble dining table and vintage railway carriage seating, 2 bedside tables, a venetian glass dressing table and matching chest of drawers.

Crystal cut decanters full of 4 types of bubble bath, plus 3 fluffy towels, shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, cotton wool buds, cotton wool and hairdryer.

Plus a mini fridge, broiler, kettle, 12 different types of tea, fresh filter coffee, caftiere, a complimentary glass of white wine, a further large Gin & Tonic, peanuts, olives and a large bar of chocolate. Which of course you were not charged for.

The in room continental breakfast consisted of -

3 types of cereals in large Kilner jars, muesli, cornflakes and bran flakes. These vessels, were filled with enough cereal for 20 bowls.

Fresh orange juice, fresh apple juice, artisan freshly baked croissants, Blueberry and almond frangipane, sugar waffle, bowl of fresh fruit, which consisted of an apple, banana, grapes and oranges. Yoghurt and a large glass jug of fresh milk.

Why should the Rosebery, be treated in a bullying and hostile manner, whilst offering a very reasonably priced, charming and delightful room, with an excess of amenities.

Coupled, with an attentive and kind service. The provision of new remote control, the loan of an Ipad charger and the provision of your continental breakfast, whilst you were out for the evening and an extra large G&T for you to come back to.

It was explained to you via written email coupled with an apology, due to the attendance of staff being a pre inquest into the death of a family member, there had been a delay in receiving the receipt.

This was a genuine and reasonable explanation, one, in which you completely chose to ignore. Perhaps, a little empathy and consideration with regards to this fact, would have mitigated the Rosebery, from recommending you to stay elsewhere in the future.

Unfortunately, in this day and age, it is expected that hotels should bear the brunt of people's abuse and be subjected to menacing, reprehensible and hostile behaviour and accept this as normal.

Would other businesses in the service and sales sector, such as Roper Rhodes and Tavistock bathrooms, expect their sales staff to tolerate this kind of customer behaviour, we suspect not.

Nor would these companies accept future business, from such customers.

The Rosebery treats prospective guests and staying guests with the utmost appreciation, courtesy and warmth and welcomes guests who treat the hotel and it's hardworking staff with a modicum of respect.

It does sadly does not accept guests, that are bullying, abusive or threatening.

The hotel staff have a right to work in a safe and non abusive environment and 99.9% of our lovely guests want to enjoy that safe environment and feel comfortable, rested and take delight staying with us at the Rosebery.