“Cafe, Bar and a live music venue!”

Blakes Coffee House
Price range: USD 6 - USD 14
Good for: Local cuisine, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Reviewed 15 July 2013

I've been going into Blake's for years - ever since I moved to Newcastle many years ago. The food has always been top notch: creative and tasty - and they also do a rather fine cup of tea for the connoisseurs amongst us. Recently they began running live music events on a Friday night - which are excellent - and having taken part in one myself, I realised what an incredible venue it was. As a result, I put on a gig of my own in Blake's just last night, and what a spectacular evening it was. We were all exceptionally well-looked after by the staff, there was a very good selection of food on offer, and the selection of beers, wines, ciders and spirits was excellent. The maple chicken panini was out of this world, but everything before me looked fantastic. Blake's is continental in atmosphere, and with it being right in the centre of the city it has the perfect balance of urban buzz and offering an enclave of peace from the rest of the world. Blake's offers everything from a quick a coffee in the morning, through to a one-stop night spot, via lunch, afternoon tea, and a fine vantage point for people-watching. There's a selection of free newspapers, free wifi for customers, various nooks and crannies that you can hide away in. It's a fantastic place.

There are newer reviews for Blakes Coffee House

Reviewed 9 July 2013

Lovely café on the popular Grey street in Newcastle which is well worth a visit. On a 2 day stay in Newcastle had a lunch there yesterday and breakfast today. Both prepared and served by friendly staff. We sat and people watched this morning while eating the big breakfast, one veggie and one with meat, at £5.95 including toast tea ,coffee or juice ,excellent value .
Will for defs go back when next in Newcastle.

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Fantastic sandwich with cornbread. Staff are great, friendly and very helpful. This coffee shop has a great feel, lots of news papers on offer and just a lovely place for lunch. Great value for money.

Reviewed 20 June 2013

We went to Blakes for a birthday brunch. When we got there we sat down at a table that hadn't been cleared yet as it was quite busy. We sat there for 15mins watching a girl stand by the counter and shine teaspoons. There was no greeting, menus or water provided nor was there any attempt to clear our table from the previous customers. In the end, I had to clear the table myself but the table still had crumbs all over it. Once we had ordered, we were told a 20min wait for food and when the food came my partner was told there was no black pudding so they gave him an extra sausage. It would have been nice to have been told this prior or at least for them to apologise for the mix-up. The food itself was nice and I enjoyed the coffee too. Such a shame as with better service this place would do much better and it would have been a much happier birthday experience.

Reviewed 9 June 2013

As it was such a lovely day we decided to have breakfast here and sit outside. When I placed the order I was told there was a twenty minute wait for food. The place was half empty but we decided to wait. The breakfast arrived and I noticed my partners sausage was missing. I went inside to tell someone. The person behind the counter asked if I was sure. I said yes and he asked if I had looked Properly. He then told me to bring the plate back. I didn't mind something missing but I did mind his attitude towards me. The bacon was very crispy and the yolk of the egg hard. The waitress did offer me a free drink and she was very pleasant. Maybe this was an off day, we have been here before and had a nice breakfast. Would we go back I don't think so.