“Yummy lunches and brilliant service!”
Review of The Tea Terrace

The Tea Terrace
Ranked #119 of 310 Restaurants in Guildford
Price range: USD 4 - USD 15
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Tea Terrace is a charming restaurant and English tearoom. It's a modern interpretation of a traditional English tearoom, and serves breakfast, lunch and Afternoon Tea. Their scones are considered the best in London, and customers often say they are better than the scones at The Ritz and The Savoy. The Tea Terrace has an outdoor sitting terrace with amazing views over the whole of Guildford.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

Reading a majority if the reviews below, I cannot be sure I visited the same restaurant!
This was my 3rd or 4th Visit to The Tea Terrace in the last few years and we will most definitely be back again.
We popped in for lunch and we got there just before they started taking orders for lunch which started at 11:30, so we ordered some drinks which came out fairly quickly.
We were perusing the menu and just before 11.30 a lovely young lady came over to advise us she would be able to take our lunch order now, my husband ordered the Club Sandwich (a favourite of his) and I decided to try something new so went for the Croque Monsieur, and as always the portion sizes were pleantyful and well presented with fresh side salads, extra added bonus they tasted delicious! - we waited maybe 10-15 minuets for our food to be brought to us with 2 check backs!
Once we had both finished another waiter came and took our plates and we asked for the menu, this time to order some scones to share - again we did not wait any longer than 5 minutes for our order to be taken and another 5 minutes for the hot tasty scones to arrive!
The service was brilliant - and as for the comments regarding staff who cannot speak English - I'm sure every member of staff I have come across in this restaurant speaks fluent English considering I have visited quiet a few times - possibly people ordering might need to take the plumbs put of their mouths and not instantly be looking down at the staff automatically thinking that because they may not look English therefore they do not speak English!

Thank you again to the manager and all 3 different waiters and waitresses that served us on our visit, we will happily be returning in the near future for some more delicious food and excellent service and would highly recommend the Tea Terrace foe food and service over the likes of Pret or Wagammas! :)

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

My umpteenth visit and again, had the most wonderful food and drinks. Went for a delicious croque-Monsieur and tea and felt very content! My only slightly negative would be how crowded it gets in here for the waiting staff, who have to navigate their way round the tables when busy.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

An extremely disappointing visit on Sunday 11th March. t was Mother's Day and we knew it would be busy but I still don't think that should affect customer service.

We arrived at 11.30am and were seated quickly with a table for 8. Our order was taken and then 10 minutes later we were notified there would be a 20 minute delay on the cooked food. This was ok and we agreed to stay / carry on.

Over an hour later our food arrived! By this time the kids were bored out of their minds! As was I!!! Our tea pots were full of cold tea as there is only so much tea you can drink before your food arrives, plus we wanted to save a cup to have with our lunch. We were not offered anymore drinks, no one came and asked if our food was ok, no one apologised for the delay - big difference between a 20 minute wait and over an hour!

The food was so expensive and ‘nothing special’ we had scones with jam and cream which were ok, just over priced and no idea why it took over an hour for them to arrive!
Having spoken to the restaurant, I did find it a little rude saying there was nothing they could do, just email the office! I’ve emailed them twice to date and had no response!
Will not be visiting again!!!!!

1  Thank Lisa M
Reviewed 27 March 2018

Our visit started off badly when we entered the café to a man being rude to and pointing at a member of staff who was coming to seat us. We were then served by the same man who was very rude and unaccommodating and there appeared to be quite a language barrier. We asked for smoked salmon sandwiches without cream cheese and to have cucumber instead as my mum (whose birthday treat it was) is dairy intolerant, he told us no and we had to practically beg for this. When asked for our sandwich choices I specifically asked did you get 2 pieces per choice to be told no, it was one sandwich per choice, which when it came out was completely incorrect, you did in fact get 2. We ordered our sandwiches on brown bread and were bought white bread.

On top of the poor, rude service the afternoon tea was bordering between poor and average. The petit fours were horrible, the sandwiches were bland, the cake was boring and just ok. The only really nice things were the scones which were lovely.

They add on their own 10% service charge (regardless of the substandard service) so we paid £49.95 for a standard tea for two which is incredibly overpriced.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

I have been to the tea terrace at Victoria street so recommended the Guildford one to my family. We attended today and my god the difference is ridiculous.
Guildford version is so overcrowded and packed with tables it's claustrophobic the service is also poor that's down to lack of staff.
Me and my mum shared a traditional afternoon tea, sandwiches were dry and pastries were not great! As two people on the table ordered breakfast tea only one pot was brought out but they were at opposite ends of the table (table of 12) so one person ended up with cold tea. A hair was found baked into a scone! When we ordered selfiechinos they would not serve them came up with poor excuse but was obvious they just could not be bothered.
Overall very poor. Won't return.

1  Thank Emma M