All reviewsblack swanstea and cakesuffolk countrysidecoach houselarge pondfresh fruiton arrivalpeace and quietmarmaladeshort drivelovely groundsplaces to visitfull englishpeacockssuebedroomengland
Reviewed 3 November 2014

We so enjoyed our stay at Abbey House. The setting is beautiful, tucked away in the Suffolk countryside, and Sue made us very welcome. Our room was comfortable and very quiet. We were served delicious lemon drizzle cake with our tea on arrival, and played Scrabble in the lovely sitting room. Sue recommended a lovely local pub for supper, and cooked us a great breakfast the next day. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kiki G
Reviewed 30 August 2014

My husband & I had a 3 day break at Abbey House Monk Soham. It was a most beautiful house set in lovely gardens, We had a lovely view of the large pond in the grounds & there were black swans & ducks. Several peacocks were wandering about as well as chickens & guinea fowl.We found our break to be so relaxing, no TV in bedrooms but there was one in the guest lounge if you wanted to watch it.WiFi was available if you needed it but I could not use my mobile phone (no signal) but my husband could use his as he is on a different network. Sue was most welcoming & we were greeted with tea & cake, Our bedroom was spacious & comfortable w3ith a nice selection of tea, coffee & chocolate, nice toiletries & a bath with shower over. My husband found the bed very comfortable but it was a little firm for me. Breakfast was great, plenty of fresh fruit,cereals, yoghurt & juice followed by full English or any combination & loads of toast.Sue was so helpful & we were well looked after, would definitely recommend. There was a heated secluded outdoor pool in the grounds which was lovely ( I had a swim after breakfast)

Room Tip: All rooms are good
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Margaret R
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We stayed for a week at The Coach House, a self-catering cottage adjacent to Abbey House. From the moment we opened the gate to this property and drove up the driveway, we were treated to a taste of English country living, at a place of quality and character, beauty and charm. Our cozy cottage had all the amenities we needed, and yet was rustic enough to relax in. Sue is warm and friendly, always offering good ideas for days out or places to eat, and would even leave kindling at our doorstep so that when we returned from our walking days, we could enjoy a fire in the evening. We treated ourselves to 2 of Sue's delectable breakfasts at Abbey House, and even came back with fresh sandwiches to enjoy lunch at the table by the pond just outside our door and to watch the 2 black swans and 3 cygnets, peacocks, and guinea hens. Much more than a place to spend the night, this quiet, peaceful setting envelops the traveler in rural England with every view and every breath.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gaunt7
Reviewed 8 June 2014

Sue, and Abbey House, is incredible! I stayed with my bridal party before my wedding and I can honestly say it was the perfect start to our celebrations. Abbey House is stunning and was the perfect place for our photos. The rooms are gorgeous, the house is stunning and the peacocks are great fun and the whole feel of the place makes you feel like you're somewhere very special!! On the morning of our big day, Sue was helpful, discreet and an absolute joy to share our special time with. The coach house is perfectly equipped to feel like you're in a bubble away from everyone else, and her little touches were just so kind. Stay with Sue!!

Room Tip: The coach house is stunning - stay!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Abbey House in March 2014 was a picture postcard as you approach the house from the gravel drive; daffodils in bloom with accompanying primroses. The same joy was found in the house. The owner, who lives on site, was welcoming to the extreme and wonderfully informative and helpful. Her breakfasts were delicious and her hospitality first class. The house oozed comfort and homliness and nothing was too much trouble for Sue. We stayed in the twin room which was warm and spacious with a bathroom across the landing. The beds were comfortable and the sheets freshly ironed, just like a smart hotel. However, everything was very personal and familiar. This is a gem of a b and b and even our bird phobia was accommodated by Sue who made sure the chickens and peacocks were out of sight when we needed to get to and from our car! Now that is what I call first class service! We'll be back Sue!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends