“If you cant get in the actual house you cant seriously charge the same price!”
Review of Kentwell Hall

Kentwell Hall
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Kentwell Hall is a beautiful moated red brick Tudor Manor House in the historic village of Long Melford, Suffolk. Whilst not a stately home, this 'little great house' remains a lived-in and much-loved family home; something it has been for over 500 years. Surrounded by timbered outbuildings, tranquil gardens and a large estate, Kentwell is popular for family days out, weddings, filming and functions and is noted for its special events programme including living history re-creations and the award-winning Scaresville experience.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

went last week.... sure the lambs were cute. . . but when you go to visit Kentwell Hall and they say 'oh sorry you cannot actually go inside the Hall today' . . you sort of don't expect to get charged the full price. . 27 quid for the 3 of us to look at the lambs basically. . . It was the Hall we went to see. . . i know it has a huge cost to upkeep etc, but not giving a discount when the MAIN attraction is out of order is well.., out of order . . the lady appeared quite shocked when we left after about 20 minutes 'going already?" .. well, yes we are. . how long can you stare at a lamb for, for 27 quid. . .. not great. .

KentwellH, Manager at Kentwell Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2018

Dear Dave,

I am sorry for your disappointment when visiting Kentwell Hall last week. Unfortunately due to burst pipes in the main house following the severe bad weather, we had a massive 'clean up' operation as the pipes burst in the roof which meant we had water that came through the ceilings. As I am sure you can image any clean up in an Historic Tudor house is not easy.

We did advise all pre-booked tickets that they house would not be open, and also updated as many media sites that we could to inform any potential visitors.

If visitors paid on the day they would have paid for a Garden ticket only.

All reviews
"information cards"
in 6 reviews
"living history"

Reviewed 5 April 2018

Wow! A word I used many many times as I walked around this beautiful Tudor house. There are so many interesting rooms with an amazing array of quirky authentic objects. It was so refreshing having the freedom to roam all over the house without too many restrictions (the only time that I saw a rule was "Enter ye notte") A sense of humour pervades this place and the staff throughout were so friendly and helpful. I've bought a season ticket so that I can visit many times again and have access to the wonderful themed days.
The gardens are lovely and I look forward to the summer when the roses will be in bloom. My visit was in April and the daffodils and primroses were so pretty. Look out for the peacocks too.
The farm is delightful and is fun for all ages.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

I have been to Kentwell Hall many times and each time I visit there is something different to see.
I always enjoy the kitchen, the smells and atmosphere are amazing. The 'Tudor' cooks go out of their way to make you feel welcome and are very good at explaining what they are doing and why.
So much to see and do at Kentwell Hall, great value, roll on the next visit.

KentwellH, Manager at Kentwell Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2018

Hi,

Thank you for your lovely review of your visit to Kentwell and for your 5 stars.

Kind regards,

Alix

Reviewed 1 April 2018

What a great place to visit at Easter with children. Easter egg hunts and plenty of space for them to let off steam in the gardens, as well as exploring the house and getting lost in the world of Beatrix Potter...

See more reviews
Reviewed 31 March 2018

What a disappointment!! We travelled over 70 miles to make a visit to Kentwell Hall and gardens. Having obtained a leaflet before we set out, we were pleased to note the House was open on Monday 27 March 2018. At the reception we were told the house was not open, we were not the only people disappointed as there were several groups walking up to the house entrance and reading the closed notice.
I must say we enjoyed seeing the lambs but this was not the real reason for our visit as we are very interested in historic houses.
I await with interest your comments
Kind regards
Brenda Hammond

KentwellH, Manager at Kentwell Hall, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Dear Brenda,

I am sorry for your disappointment with the house not being open on the 27th March. Unfortunately, due to burst pipes in the roof because of the extreme weather, we had and as I am sure you will understand, a huge clear up job to do.

We did promote that we were closed to all sites that we could and send notification to all pre booked tickets visitors.

We are now fully open.