“Fabulous venue, fabulous food and fabulous room”

Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Bury St Edmunds
Reviewed 8 July 2010

We had our wedding here in March and I am a very surprised by some other reviews on here. Ravenwood Hall is a first class venue with first class food and service. Our wedding day went absolutely smoothly, as did the planning leading up to it. Nothing was too much trouble for Yvonne the wedding co-ordinator or the Chef, who we met to discuss our menu with. We had over 80 guests for a sit down meal in the Pavilion and practically every single guest commented on how fabulous the food was. For a rosette awarded restaurant they definitely delivered. My husband and I have eaten there a few times before the wedding and the food has always been to a standard you would expect, and we would definitely go back. We have always found the service very good, the waiters do they their jobs efficiently and are very friendly. The hotel rooms are lovely (I have looked at all of them on a wedding fayre open day) and make you feel special. My only negative on the hotel rooms is the price. They are expensive, even for a country retreat and I do feel if your booking a wedding, they could give 10% off to the bride/groom and guests like many other hotels do, however, we do feel that everything else is good value for the location/food/service that they offer.

The set up of our wedding on the day went brilliantly. I only had to tell Yvonne once the 'look' I was after and how I wanted all the tables, top table and cake table set up and the staff did not let me down. They did an awesome job in setting up and even I was taken aback at how lovely it looked, everything was exactly where I wanted it to be. The service during the day was great, no guest had an empty glass.

I would definitely recommend Ravenwood to anyone who wanted to hold their wedding there, or just go for a nice meal.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel

Reviewed 2 July 2010

I am surprised by the negative comments of the previous review, as our experience of our wedding at Ravenwood Hall Hotel couldn't be any more different.
My husband and I were made to very special from day 1; the service we recieved throughout was fantasic. Yvonne was particularly helpful to us in the planning of big, day, and looked after our guests all the way through the reception. Everything I asked of was done to a superb standard, and I didn't have to get involved at all with set up of the reception. I can'y describe the feeling that I had when we waked through the gates and the venue looked more beautiful than I had ever imagined. All our friends and family recieved brilliant service during the reception; the waiters and waitresses were very attentive, there was never a glass empty and the food was plentiful delicious.
A particularly special time for us was having breakfast with our close friends and family the next morning, where the staff contined to make our wedding weekend as special as possible for us.

I would never hesitate to recommend Ravenwood as a wedding venue, and very much look forward to having further pleasants visits there in the future - can't wait to go back again this Summer!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2010

I can't understand the other negative reviews about Ravenwood on here....

We got married here in June last year, it was the most special day of our life.

Ravenwood is a truly unique venue, full of character, very welcoming and beautiful.

Yvonne supported me through all the wedding planning process, even though I was a little bit of a Bridezilla, i just wanted everything to be perfect... I wasn't disapointeed.

When I walked into the pavillon on the day I was truly breath taken, it looked perfect just how I imagined it would. Yvonne made sure the day ran very smoothly.. I didn't worry about a thing.

The food was brillant, we had taste tested the menu beforehand and wasn't disappointed on the day. The staff were attentive and couldn't do enough to please everyone.

My family eat out alot, we know what good food and service should be, we were over the moon with everything.

Yvonne recommended a magician to us who was brillant on the day, I could hear everyone laughing whilst we had our photo's done, all our guests commented on how good he was.

The photo's of us at Ravenwood look truly stunning, it's a beautiful place to get married, my sister & brother in law also got married here.

The team at Ravenwood did a wonderful job on our wedding day, I can't thank them enough, all of our guests and bridal party commented on what a special day it was.. it wasn't just any other wedding... it was truly magicial.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 June 2010

My husband and I had our wedding at Ravenwood Hall and I have to be honest and say I wouldn't recommend it. The wedding planner, Yvonne is in desperate need of smartening up (alot of my guests commented on her very poor appearance) and you were not made to feel special, just another bride on a conveyer belt. When I turned up at the hotel I had to set up my own tables (as they had not followed my instructions - table cloths were all over the place, 40% of the chairs were broken and I had to ask for them to be changed, the floor still had confetti from a previous party). The pavillion is in need of redecorating, but I guess for as long as they can book weddings they won't bother. The hotel rooms were overpriced, my guests complained that the mews cottages were modern but small and the main rooms in the hotel were just old fashioned. My husband and I used to eat there alot, but we don't anymore, one waiter Jaques is rude to everyone whilst others, Sammy are over friendly and imposing. We took my Dad and mother and father in law there for dinner and my Dad ordered a pie, when it came it had no meat in it at all, we spoke to the manager and she said "no one else has complained". Not the attitiude that gets people coming back time and again. Such a shame as it is a little gem in a nice setting. Would advise owner to get new management and shake up exisitng staff........

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Coujo
Sparkle1328, Owner at Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2010

I am sorry you feel the way you do about Ravenwood Hall, however must admit I am very surprised. It is true to say that we hardly ever receive complaints, in fact Yvonne, our wedding co-ordinator receives bunches of flowers and thank you cards regularly from very happy wedding customers. Yvonne may be a little older than some wedding co-ordinators however it is her pure experience and ability to go that extra mile that makes people really appreciate what she does, she loves weddings and does whatever it takes to make sure every wedding day at Ravenwood Hall is a special one for the bride and groom and every guest (far from a conveyer belt mentality and I would be interested to hear why you thought this. We only ever hold one wedding at any one time as we like to devote time and effort to each celebration). I am also surprised about your comment concerning the tables, if Yvonne and her team were aware of exactly what you wanted to achieve I am sure they would have done everything in their power to achieve this for you. Ravenwood Hall is one of the most popular wedding venues in Suffolk, since I have owned the hotel some 24 years, we have built a fantastic reputation for providing wonderful and fairytale weddings and we do absolutely everything in our power to make every single wedding day special and memorable for everyone forever.

The Pavilion has been updated recently and we are proud the way it looks and the fantastic venue it offers wedding or other celebration parties. We have also added a marquee to the side to add to the experience and provide a larger dance floor. We have also updated the majority of rooms in the main hotel, our professional interior designer designed them to be in-keeping with the historic Tudor nature of the Hall, we feel it is important to keep the traditionally elements considering the majority of hotels are modernising themselves throughout and losing their interest and character completely, what is why we have kept the modern feel to the Mews only.

With regard to your comment concerning Jacques and Sammy, both waiters are highly experienced and being rude or imposing is certainly not in their nature – I can only apologise if they caused you any embarrassment. The hotel does not serve pies, so again I would be interested to learn more about this particular experience.

My only regret is that you did not make us aware of your feelings earlier to allow us to do something about it, having said that I would like to invite you and your husband to Ravenwood Hall for lunch with me to allow us to discuss your concerns in greater detail and resolve the situation amicably. Please let me the hotel know when is convenient for you.

Reviewed 16 June 2010

I went to the hotel for a conference and arriving early after a two hour journey I thought I might have breakfast. The hotel looked good and the dining room inviting.
- Sorry sir we finish breakfast at 9 o'clock
Me: But it's only 8.45!
- We like to be finished by 9 o'clock. Our guests eat at 7.30.
Me: !? Nothing available at all?
- Sorry sir, you can try Bury St Edmonds - you should be able to find somewhere!

The hotel may be a good place to stay but for me the hospitality was none existent.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
The Ickworth Hotel
#1 of 2 in Horringer
33.0 km away
Salthouse Harbour Hotel

Been to Ravenwood Hall Country Hotel? Share your experiences!