All reviews complimentary bottle brewed on site great beer the pub home brewed beer room was clean and comfortable specials board fish and chips waiting staff few minutes walk pint accommodation flask menu
Reviewed 29 July 2018 via mobile

We had a very friendly welcome but refused dinner as we arrived at 9.05 and food stops at 9.00pm; despite ringing at 8.30 to say we’d been delayed by bad traffic.

We had room 7 as described in a July 2017 post : cracked sink, mildew around shower and scruffy carpet and bathroom floor edges. It was clean and had all required hairdryer/ toiletries/ tea coffee etc. Unfortunately the bright lights on pub rear door across narrow yard were on all night, as was a very bright green light on smoke alarm. The pub fans went on at 7am so no lay in. It was hottest day recorded in Bury St Edmunds so had to leave window open. Luckily we bought our own fan.

Bed was okay but bit dipping and felt old. The room was over £150 a night which is 4 star price and although adequate it was not 4 star quality.

Due to convenience of location and the excellent breakfast, not to mention the lovely beer, we would like to stay here again but will ask for a different room.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 June 2018

I recently had the absolute pleasure to stay here for a few weeks. My room was very comfortable and clean. The location is awesome as it only takes a few minutes to walk to the Abbey Gardens and market square. The food delicious and although I am not a beer drinker, my traveling companion said it was great. Craig, Julie and their entire team were all so nice and accommodating. I will definitely be staying here again when I return.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 April 2018

Had a night in the Old Cannon, room number one whilst basic was great for a one night stay. Great breakfast and also I had dinner in the bar after a walk around the town. Great beer brewed on site. Bought a few bottles to give to friends as well. Definitely will if in Bury stay again.

• Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

My review comes from spending alot of time recently at this really, quite incredible, pub. Also, it should be noted that I also work in the industry and have done for the past 10 years.

Too often do I see the opinions of diners that you can tell have never actually endured the amount of hard work it takes to not just work in the industry but have it provide a living to the people who manage or own an establishment. To please everyone from all walks of life, all ages and consistently is a hard task and I believe the Old Canon does a wonderful job.

I have eaten regularly and drank more so, I cannot fault the food, the service nor the own brews that taste amazing everytime.

Craig and Julie, along with their team have a great pub, vast knowledge of the trade and an extremely personable nature that shines and they must be applauded.

I urge diners in the future to consider that not everyone can be pleased and not every opinion can be counted. Try it out, enjoy your time there and make sure that when you do have the same experience I do every time I visit that you praise them for it and make it known in your reviews.

Too many people are quick to voice their negative opinions and not nearly quick enough to sing the praises.

Keep up the amazing work, I'll be seeing you on Thursday for your Spanish Evening!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 January 2018 via mobile

Horrible food and no customer service. I ordered the special vegetable curry and there was nothing on the menu that catered for a vegetarian. It came after a very "wet" waiter took are order, there was no veg in it at all and it was not a curry more like a biryani, too much rice and rubbery halloumi. This was very missleading and there for I did not eat it, I wanted veg not rice. He offered to take it off the bill but this didn't happen but by the time we had waited for someone to come back to us with the bill I couldn't be bothered to make a fuss.
I will no longer be a customer of yours, shame as we did really like the bear at beyton.

Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends