Lowest prices for your stay
USD 66
Free cancellation until 17/04/21
Reserve now, pay at stay
Hotels.com
USD 66
Free cancellation until 17/04/21
FindHotel
USD 58
PricelineUSD 66
Expedia.comUSD 66
eDreamsUSD 66
All reviews car park ice machine breakfast was included the sofa bed alton towers the pub included in the price free wifi good size excellent value for money yogurt overnight stop short stay checking in stayed here for one night reception staff would stay again
Selected filters
Reviewed 2 September 2020 via mobile

We stayed as a family, couple with 12 yr old son and 7 yr old son.
We seemed to have the smallest room ever with a double bed and a sofa bed which is a large single at best.
Also nowhere near enough pillows
We decide to go with it due to the fact we are there for one night but to save my 12 yr old son from having to sleep on the tiny bed as he is bigger than me, I slept on it.
It was the most uncomfortable night I have ever spent in a hotel. I couldn't sleep as it dipped at the head area, could feel the springs and NOT big enough for 2 people.
I also had the joy of a drunk family across the corridor that sounded so close it was almost in my room.
Breakfast was a dry bacon bap, or a dry sausage bap (glad I am not vegetarian ), cereal or yoghurt all in plastic pots all looking very clinical) I get the Covid situation but this was awful, if restaurants did this no one would go.
The staff were lovely. I cannot fault the lady on reception who checked me in. I left my purse there and she called me. So for that I am grateful.
But the hotel was awful. We booked it for a trip to Alton Towers. My lack of sleep ruined my day. And my drive back to Plymouth afterwards
Sorry just so disappointed.

Trip type: Travelled with family
IHG Service, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Stafford, responded to this reviewResponded 16 September 2020

Hello gina_oriley,

Thank you for your stay and for taking the time to leave us feedback.

I am sorry to learn about the comfort level of the sleep amenities didn't work for you. Along with what you shared about your breakfast experience, I have shared your comments with the hotel management. I am certain that the actions that will be taken will make your next stays with us better than the last.

I hope you choose us again!

Best regards,

Clayton G.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 1 September 2020

We stayed here as a base to explore the area. Room was clean and tidy and ws just what we needed - somewhere to sleep after a busy day.
Free breakfast meant we were fuelled for the day and the bar was somewhere to get a pint before bedtime.
Covid meant some restrictions but we still had a pleasant stay and the food we had one night was pleasant enough.
A typical HI Express site - cheap, easy, standard.

Room tip: We had the last room at the end of the ground floor corridor so no passing guests .
1  Thank RobScott1970
Reviewed 16 August 2020 via mobile

Very good value for money considering breakfast was included. Although this was quite basic, did the job! Staff were very friendly and provided extra towels and an extra fan when asked. Downside was we didn’t think it was very clean. We found a dirty sock under the sofa bed and the fan in the room was covered in dust, which we had to clean as no air conditioning. The sofa bed material at the back was also dusty. Great pub opposite, which we visited twice and ate.

Reviewed 14 August 2020 via mobile

I stayed in one of three rooms with friends on July 4th. We stayed to go to Alton towers. We chose this hotel because of the price. £45 per room bed and breakfast. Not too far away (or so we thought..)
Check in was ok but I would say it took longer than I was expecting. Hand sanitiser provided on entry. Good signage and one way systems in place. Shame the general clientele of this hotel didn’t seem to understand what was going on. Like other groups trying to share the lift etc. Not the hotels fault.
Before arrival I emailed and was told there would be limited food options. This turned out to be chocolate only. Even the bar had nothing on draught. Very poorly stocked. We didn’t bother and had to find food elsewhere which was a mission in itself...
The double room we had had issues. Not enough toilet roll and a smell. It was reported to reception and a room move was offered but declined as it would have been on a different floor and also wasn’t available immediately and needed to be cleaned. Weird as they had been closed for three months and this was about 8pm...
The two twin rooms were ok. Had a cleaning brush left in my room but nothing major. These rooms get hot. There is one fan provided but I don’t like noise so chose not to use it. Had the window open instead. This would have been fine had there not have been the most inconsiderate family in the car park. (My room overlooked the car park unfortunately...)
There was a large group making noise. Hanging around the lobby at all hours one of them was almost arguing with the receptionist. Then they were on scooters in the car park. And arguing from the car parked directly below my window. One of our group told reception and they did have a word with them. It did quiet down but they continued arguing until about 3 in the morning... This combined with the room temperature made for a poor nights sleep.
Onto breakfast... before our arrival I asked about breakfast and was told it would be grab and go. Given the current situation it was to be expected but the breakfast was awful! There were small croissants and small muffins in individual bags. Cereal pots with cartons of UHT milk (not even sure these were cold...) Coffee and juice from machines also available. You had to take it away either to your room or say the car. The croissants tasted stale. The juice was awful. So was the coffee like it had been sat in the machine since March... Would a bacon sandwich grab and go really have been so difficult? We didn’t really eat breakfast because of this.
I have left my feedback via IHG. I have been told there is a comment on my review but I can’t see it. Presumably from the hotel...
The hotel can’t control its guests I appreciate that but between that; the location being further than we thought with literally nothing around unless you have a car, and the poor breakfast I would not recommend. So much so we were due to stay in October but have cancelled our reservations.

Date of stay: July 2020
Trip type: Travelled with friends
IHG Service, Owner at Holiday Inn Express Stafford, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2020

Hi ldscoller,

Thank you for taking the time to share your hotel experience with us. It’s a pleasure to read you appreciate the check-in service.

We pride ourselves on delivering a world-class experience, and our highest priority is guest satisfaction. I recognize your disappointment where we fell short of making your hotel encounter perfect due to the room upkeep, hotel location, and quality of breakfast choices you received. Because of Covid-19, we have to follow specific guidelines as preventive measures, which includes the limited food offering. Your experience is certainly not the norm for our property.

We appreciate your feedback as it allows us to identify areas that may need additional attention. I will pass on your remarks with the managerial team as a reference to enhance hotel guest satisfaction and refinement of our menu items.

Again, thank you for making us aware. We look forward to the next opportunity to demonstrate to you our standards of exemplary lodging encounter.

Best,

Zel N.
Case Manager
IHGService

Reviewed 8 August 2020 via mobile

We stayed here as we did the Alton Towers deal.Greeted by 2 very friendly ladies,Room was clean and ideal enough to lay your head. Needed a fan(was given no problem) and a 2nd fan was needed (also given no problem). Breakfast was simple, bacon/sausage baps, fruit, cereal, all in recyclable packaging. A 45 min drive to Alton Towers. Would recommend.