“Terrible Sunday lunch”

Anton's Bistrot
Ranked #28 of 89 Restaurants in Wells
Price range: USD 16 - USD 41
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 17 September 2018

Having been here on other occasions and had an acceptable meal we decided to try their Sunday Lunch. It was one of the worst meals we have ever experienced. Roast beef was pre cooked sliced beef, over cooked and like leather. Roast potatoes under the meat were soggy. Gravy was not great. Yorkshire soalek in gravy and spongy. Veg only passable with brocolli cooked into submission. Get a new chef and up your game. We will not return

Date of visit: September 2018
CrownAtWells, Public Relations Manager at Anton's Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

We are sorry.
We have a new chef and new menu.

Reviewed 15 September 2018 via mobile

We ate here on the 11/9 having spent the morning walking around the beautiful city of wells, we wish we had looked at the recent reviews prior to entering!

The prime position and lovely exterior made us choose the pub over others.

Once inside the barman was pleasant but there was loads of staff hanging around the kitchen area doing nothing.

Once we ordered the food we was extremely disappointed, the ploughmans consisted of stale bread, old stale cheese and half a piece of ham and slimey salad leaves, the fish pie was all mash potato and watery.

We would have complained but who was a meant to complain too? All the staff were talking around the corner and the only bar person at the time was working out how to pour a pint!!

WHAT A WASTE OF MONEY

We appreciate your frustration but please appreciate ours; why not speak with us while you were here and we could have rectified the problems for you?

Reviewed 3 September 2018 via mobile

After a busy weekend working, eight of us needed a good meal to help wind down and relax. We didn’t get it! We arrived in two groups. As the second group arrived, a member of staff met them with the news that “sticky toffee pudding is off”! When we sat down, we were given menus with the advice that “we have no chips”. Ok - no sticky toffee pudding and no chips. I made my choice - roast pork (one of two traditional roasts offered). Nothing was said and the waiter carried on taking orders. All was fine until someone ordered roast beef. “That will be turkey as we have no other roasts”. Errrrr you’ve just taken an order for pork. No that won’t be pork it will be turkey as that’s all we have. So in reality no sticky toffee pudding, no chips, no roast pork and no roast beef! But after being asked if chips could be substituted with roast potatoes (instead of the suggested salad leaves) orders were taken. The starters arrived and were quite well assembled on the plates and everyone was happy with their choices. We should have left then!!! Main courses arrived and that’s when it all went rapidly downhill. The food was tasteless. I cannot remember being served with such awful food before. Have you ever had deep fried leftover roast potatoes served with a burger? In fact they were served with everything. We had baskets of deep fried leftover roast potatoes!!!!! It is a saga that goes on and on. On receipt of the bill, we asked for the manager. The general manager nor restaurant manager was on duty so the bar Sanger fronted up. All kudos to him for doing so. He was totally frank and said there were always complaints and what would we like to do in order to move things forward. I asked how much the bill was and couldn’t contain myself. My comment was “HOW MUCH - you are joking!” No he was serious but then asked how much we would be prepared to pay. Off the top of my head I said £50 to which he replied “Thats fine I’ll just get you an amended bill”!!!!!! It really defies belief. Please think twice before going here. They WILL take your booking and they WILL charge you.
The food is substandard at best and the staff are hopeless.

Date of visit: September 2018
CrownAtWells, Public Relations Manager at Anton's Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2018

We are really sorry for your bad experience at The Crown. This clearly should not have happened and we appreciate all far from ideal.
Personal comments about staff and damning, angry surmising are unhelpful.

Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

Had a very nice meal at Anton’s Bistrot, the fish & chips and the ploughman’s were especially nice but what impressed us the most was the outstanding service. Our waiter, Ethan, was helpful, friendly & cheerful and could not have been better. An asset to the restaurant. Thank you.

Date of visit: September 2018
CrownAtWells, Public Relations Manager at Anton's Bistrot, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2018

Great, thank you. We think Ethan is great too, thanks for your comments which we will of course pass on.

Reviewed 20 July 2018 via mobile

After dinner I asked for a taxi and the big front of house guy - who just exudes snobbery - told me I should "walk to the other end of town" and smirked at his colleague who looked embarrassed. I was dressed down (shorts and t shirt) and he'd been giving me disapproving looks.

I dunno, I suppose it's possible he didn't think to offer to call a taxi and I'm the jerk here for expecting fawning service. But I've worked in hospitality and I know when I've been snooted!

Somerset is the friendliest place in the UK it's a shame to have your visit brought down by silly snoots like the one at Anton's, so give him a miss.

Date of visit: July 2018