“Splendid Lunch!”

Price range: USD 19 - USD 30
Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Small, busy, much admired, family-run restaurant; serving seasonal, locally sourced, freshly cooked food; charming and welcoming staff; sensible and honest prices. Set in a fine Georgian house in Bath's most beautiful position - between The Circus and The Royal Crescent. Voted number 4 in the United Kingdom by The Times "Twenty secret restaurants that foodies love". Bookings advised.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Rated as one of the top 5 restaurants in all of the U.K., we found ourselves unable to secure a reservation for the weekend we were in Bath. However, we were extremely pleased to learn that we could have lunch on Saturday at The Circus. It turns out that the lunch menu is nearly identical to the dinner menu, just slightly smaller portions at reduced prices. As for the food and service, both were world class. While I had the fish special (which was Hake, served over a combination of tabbouleh and small pieces of chorizo), my wife had a vegetable baklava pie. The flavors in both dishes were phenomenal. Each was perfectly served at the ideal temperatures. To top off the meal, we sampled one of their desserts, called Whim Wham! It was an apricot, cream and cookie combination that was delicious. Our server was very attentive, without seeming to be always at our table. All in all it was a most splendid afternoon meal.

eatyourgreens, Owner at The Circus Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Thank you so very much for your kind and informative review of The Circus. We're so glad you enjoyed your lunch with us and thank you for reporting back about it to Trip Advisor. We look forward to you visiting again in the future if you come to Bath again.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,181)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Thank goodness for Monday’s!!!

We visited the Circus for my birthday lunch after finding all the other restaurants closed on Mondays.

This unassuming small double fronted restaurant with a small upstairs dining room and a vast basement dining room was absolutely fantastic. The tables were nicely spaced with enough personal space to not over hear other diners conservations. The only issue was the window seat at the top of the stairs which when climbing I had to overt my eyes to prevent me seeing up a young ladies skirt .

The waiting staff were very attentive with a professional and swift service providing knowledge of the menu and wine list.

The food was amazing especially when consider the size of the venue. My mezze platter was amazing with freshest broad bean & cashew hummus followed by the wild boar cooked to perfection. The chef/owner has an absolute gem which should not be missed if you are in Bath. We will definitely be back possibly for an evening visit.

1  Thank Julie-Mick S

Thank you very much indeed for your comprehensive and kind appraisal of your birthday meal with us on Monday. We're so happy that you enjoyed it all and look forward to that evening visit soon. Thanks again

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I enjoyed a fantastic dinner here. We sat downstairs in a cosy area beautifully decorated with interesting artwork. My rabbit dish was good but my wife’s steak was over the top delicious. Very friendly and courteous server. Highly recommend this restaurant!

Thank you very much for your kind review. We really appreciate you recommending us and thank you so much for choosing to dine with us.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

My husband and I recently visited The Circus Restaurant when we were on the city tour of Bath. After seeing the "The Crescent" about 1 1/2 hours into the Bath "free" walking tour, we ducked out and headed to The Circus for lunch. The food was excellent (my husband the catch of the day and I had the apple and rocket salad) and the company was perfect! Sitting at the table next to us was Eileen Atkins (Aunt Ruth Ellington) and Stephanie Cole (Aunt Joan Norton) from the cast of BBC's "Doc Martin". I'm still having trouble remembering much else about that day! However, the food and service were excellent. This restaurant was recommended to us by our hotel for dinner. I am sure the menu is equally as good.

Thank you very much for your kind review and we're glad you enjoyed the food and the "special guests" as a suitably glam company! Do come again when you're next in Bath

Reviewed 9 October 2018

Fantastic food and excellent service! My wife and I enjoyed a 12th anniversary meal here at the weekend. I am a wheat intolerant Pescetarian and she is a vegetarian. We were more than catered for and hugely impressed by the offerings. Highly recommended!

eatyourgreens, Owner at The Circus Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2018

Thanks you so much for your review. Really glad you felt cared for and enjoyed our food and service.Do come again