“Loch fyne losing their flare ”
Review of Loch Fyne - Bath

Loch Fyne - Bath
Ranked #151 of 638 Restaurants in Bath
Price range: USD 39 - USD 83
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 2 September 2018 via mobile

We stayed in the loch fyne hotel over the weekend and really fancied seafood for dinner, so this was the obvious choice.
My partner and I really fancied mussels and were told when we arrived they had sold out and wouldn’t have any more in until mid September. I’ve read that due to the recent hot weather, more algae has been produced, at a faster rate and has meant the mussels have higher levels of toxins as this is what they feed off. This isn’t the restaurant’s fault at all; however they had also ran out of crab and lobster during our visit.

My partner’s starter was the chilli and garlic prawns and there was hardly any taste to them. I wonder whether they had been marinated before cooking as they didn’t taste as though they had.

The mains were nice- I had sea bream with a salsa verde and sides. My partner had a hake dish but at £17 per main, were definitely overpriced - especially given the portion size.

My overall view is that any chain of restaurant has to work hard to stay ahead of the game - loch fyne restaurants might be losing their unique flare, especially in Bath where they have the majority of the seafood market. Very central location and so much more could be done with the food.

josh m, Manager at Loch Fyne - Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Dear 82Lottie,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to review. We value your feedback as this information helps better our service and highlight key areas for praise and improvement. Firstly, I would like to apologise for the quality of the garlic and chilli prawns. I have raised this issue with the kitchen team to ensure it doesn't happen again. I have passed on these comments to the our kitchen staff, who have put in place precautions to ensure this issue doesn't occur again. We are passionate about our food here at Loch Fyne Bath and we endeavour to ensure you have the best possible experience. With this in mind, if you would like to discuss your visit further, please contact our site on 01225 750120 and we can resolve this issue.

Kind regards,

Loch fyne Management

Write a ReviewReviews (1,362)

Reviewed 28 August 2018 via mobile

The Loch Fyne chain of restaurants are usually quite consistent in food and service, the food at the Bath restaurant was no different, unfortunately the service this time let them down.
When entering the restaurant we were advised of a 10 minute wait before the table was ready, ok so no problem, we were offered seats in the wait area and left to wait.
Other guests that entered after us were given menus to look at so we waited until we got to the table before we were given ours.
While waiting the maitre spilt water on the table and used my wife’s serviette to clear it up without replacing it.
We were informed of a couple of items not being available on the menu, no big deal, it was a Bank holiday so possibly no deliveries over the weekend.
I ordered oysters to start followed by a second starter followed by the main. The second starter came, no oysters, the maitre said they were on their way, it took a couple of reminders until the waitress came with the mains, still no oysters. So I said not to bother with them.
The problem here is the maitre taking the order and the waitress just delivering the food, the waitress has no idea what we’ve ordered until the food is put on the serving hatch telling where to take it.
These might appear to be small trivialities, but when you’re paying nearly £80 for a meal for 2 you want the service to match your expectations.
When you order, just make sure the maitre is up to the job.

josh m, Manager at Loch Fyne - Bath, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2018

Dear Bryan H,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to review. We value feed back such as yours to maintain consistency threw out.
I would like to apologise for your disappointments during your visit with us here at Loch fyne Bath. These issues will be addressed with the team immediately. If you wish to discus your visit further please do not hesitate to contact us direct on 01225750120 or via email on lochfyne@bath.net.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 27 August 2018

Lovely evening spent here, friendly staff, food fantastic for starters we had squid which we can highly recommend and mixed fish grill which was nice.

Dear Danielle H,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such a great review. the salt and pepper squid is one of my personal favourites as is the sea food grill (GOOD TASTE)... I would recommend the chilli and garlic king prawns on your return.

Many thanks

Reviewed 25 August 2018 via mobile

Great experience, awsome food ! Or waitress Lavina was very friendly ! Squid was perfectly cooked ... great recommendation of wine !
Thank you we will come back again .

2  Thank Jackie W

Dear Jackie W,

Thankyou for taking the time to leave us such a great review. It is fantastic to hear you had such a awesome experience with us. Lavinia is a real superstar. Thank you again for such a TREMENDOUS review.

We look forward to your return.

Many thanks

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

We regularly eat at Loch Fyne restaurants so headed there in Bath today. We walked in and asked for a table but were refused as ‘no walk in’s before 1.30’. It was 12.30 on a Sunday and the restaurant was less than 1/4 full. We asked why and were told ‘that’s what the kitchen say’ ???? Very odd service and a quick way to loose loyal repeat customers. We won’t be back.

5  Thank Annie N