“Coffee and Cake. Pea and mint soup and sour dough bread.”

The Thoughtful Bread Company
Ranked #4 of 53 Quick Bites in Bath
Cuisines: Italian, Spanish, British
Dining options: Delivery, Takeout
Description: We are an award winning artisan bakery based right in the heart of the World Heritage City of Bath. We bake everything on site in our bakery, from the cakes to the artisan bread and our patisseries. The venue also houses our bakery school where we run regular courses.
Reviewed 28 May 2016

Small cosy cafe with superb coffee.
I went for Lunch had freshly prepared Pea and mint soup with sour dough bread. Coffee and orange and cardamom cake with chocolate top.
All was delicious and served with a smile and politeness.
I forgot to return the next day to purchase a loaf to bring home.
Great place for breakfast and lunch with gorgeous cakes and good coffee.

Reviewed 27 May 2016

Having discovered the Thoughtful Bread Company whilst following Taste of the West and We Love Bath on Twitter I’d always wanted to go in and try their wares (I’d seen many photos of it tweeted) so I was very pleased to receive a gift of a place on The Holy Grail Sourdough Baking course for my birthday.

The day did not disappoint, Duncan is a brilliant tutor, puts you at your ease, is very approachable and personable, his passion and knowledge for his craft and local/seasonal produce is apparent and inspiring. You get involved with bread making from the start (9am) you are taught the autolyse method of making bread (sounds scary but it requires very little kneading, much to my relief) and get the chance to make white, rye sourdough loaves and bagels. The one thing I will say is be warned it's a long but enjoyable day (minimum 7hrs), you are on your feet for most of it, within a working bakery, so wear comfy shoes. I came away with lots of baked goodies (see photo) and a goody bag, the sourdough bread was the best I’d ever eaten.

We were given breakfast, lunch and afternoon tea (included in the cost of the course) all the baked goods, salad and pickles were made in house, and all other foods were locally sourced (the cheeses, especially the cheddar was amazing) all of which were delicious, they were also very obliging and adaptive to one of the group who announced before lunch she had a food intolerance.

The course is very good value for money, and I would say anyone who enjoys baking or is a bit of a foodie and is keen to learn about real bread would enjoy it. I now feel I have the confidence to try and bake bread at home (especially now I have Dave my sourdough starter), with the reassuring knowledge that should things go wrong I could always get back in touch and it would not be an issue. This little gem of a bakery/cafe has become one of my “happy” places, somewhere if I’m back home in Bath I will definitely visit again even just for a coffee and an almond croissant. Big thanks to Duncan and his staff for a fantastic day :)

Reviewed 9 May 2016

We went there for lunch one day. I had the Croque Monsieur which was really good and a macaron with a red filling which I could not tell you what flavour it was supposed to be - oh dear!
My husband had a sausage roll which was very large but he said it didn't taste of sausage and an éclair which had a really thick layer of "chocolate" on the top which tasted wrong - but he couldn't say why.
So - very mixed messages, I'm afraid.

Reviewed 9 May 2016

After a stroll in Bath, we bumped into this nice bakery/cafe where we enjoyed a really good quiche accompanied by a well seasoned salad (with wild garlic as well). The place is quite small so it could be difficult to find a table in peak times but it's cosy and the staff is friendly so it's definitely worth having a coffee or a brunch here.

Reviewed 5 May 2016

We were staying at the Harrington's Hotel nearby and had walked by this bakery several times without stopping in. What a mistake! When we finally did visit (our last morning in Bath) we found a well-run, thoroughly professional artisan bakery with the most-delicious baked goods. Very good coffee as well. It turns out that the owners are quite well-regarded and have published a popular book on the subject of baking. The place felt very Portland to us, making us feel quite at home. A must-visit.

1  Thank MikeGPortland