“Brilliant Coffee”

Society Cafe
Ranked #6 of 53 Coffee & Tea in Bath
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Description: Society Cafe is a speciality Coffee House in the center of Bath. We always have our Single Estate House Espresso which changes seasonally as well as a Single Estate Guest Espresso that changes every couple of weeks. We use the aeropress for filter. We also specialise in high quality teas and hot chocolates.WIFI is fast and free with plenty of places to plug in laptops or charge phones. Large and varied areas of seating both upstairs and downstairs from bar seating to large tables as well as a large area of outside seating on the square. Free Daily newspapers.Large selection of sandwiches, cakes and pastries freshly made everyday.
Reviewed 31 October 2018

I've been visiting Society Cafe since it opened, going in most days whilst I worked in the city centre, on weekends whilst out cycling, and whenever I am back in Bath now I am no longer in the area, and it is consistently excellent. I'd recommend this cafe to anyone in a heartbeat, rivalled only by a very small number of other cafes in the area, in my opinion.

The staff are very friendly, interested in talking to the customers whilst drinks are being made, and generally just make you feel welcome and valued. Adrian, the owner is particularly friendly and great to chat to if he is about.

There are a number of different seating areas, the window bars are great if you just want to sit and read a book, or do get a laptop out. The space down in the basement is also great for just chilling and chatting without the noise of the bar area.

In the warmer months, the outside seating on the square is perfect for soaking up the sun and watching the world go by around you.

The selection of coffee is as you would expect, with a house and a guest espresso usually on offer, offering different tastes, and all made with meticulous care and attention. The hot chocolate is all incredible if you fancy a non-coffee beverage.

With fast wifi, plenty of seating, superb coffee, and even a rack for locking your bike up, this cafe caters for all. Give the nearby chains a miss, and give this independent a try, you won't be disappointed!

Date of visit: September 2018

Reviewed 23 October 2018 via mobile

I am not vegan but I very much enjoyed the vegan banana and choc chip cake! Coffee is excellent too would recommend a visit if you are in Bath.

1  Thank KateLeicestershire
Reviewed 15 October 2018 via mobile

Had a really great double espresso and a cappuccino. Cakes all looked amazing. Friendly quick service too.

1  Thank Sonia W
Reviewed 4 October 2018

I popped in to have a coffee and catch up on emails. The wifi is very fast with lots of plugs to charge up on. The coffee i ordered was delicious, probably the best I have ever had. I usually have two sugars to take the bitterness away but not needed. The staff were friendly, attentive and were all working very hard. Cannot fault this place. Absolutely would recommend and come back.

1  Thank Thomas A
Reviewed 21 September 2018

The blonde girl that served us needs to attend a course in customer service - so rude and arrogant it's untrue! She was also rude about other customers to her colleague and everyone could hear what she was saying. She is giving a terrible image to customers and the management really need to step-in and doing something. The coffee however was very good.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank 90MikeH90
AJPCH, Owner at Society Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2018

Dear Mike,

I am truly sorry that you had this experience. When I first read your review my stomach turned. This is the very very opposite of what we set out to achieve. We are incredibly careful to hire the sort of people who have a genuine desire to please people. This is first and foremost to any service related job. Look after people, treat them well. Give them the very best possible experience possible.

I am so sorry. I am not sure what happened. I know who you are referring to and she is normally amazing, the most charming and lovely girl and like all our team she normally goes out of her way to make peoples visit memorable (in a positive way).

We will of course talk to her and the rest of the team about this and learn from it.

I am glad you liked the coffee but unfortunately for us that is small recompense for the bad service you received.

Truly sorry.