“Nice cake but........”
Review of the chelsea cafe

the chelsea cafe
Ranked #25 of 51 Coffee & Tea in Bath
Price range: USD 9 - USD 26
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Great brunch every day from 8am; excellent Extract coffee with homemade cakes - all using the produce from local farms and neighbourhood suppliers.
Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

I have visited this cafe on several occasions. On each occasion I have found the service to be of an acceptable standard.
On my last visit, I had a very pleasant and tasty bacon sandwich.
Today I elected for a coffee and a slice of Victoria Sponge.

The coffee was excellent but what on earth is going on with the presentation of my slice of cake?
Why do you put a folded napkin on the plate and then put the cake on top of it?

This practice is not only irritating and unnecessary but also very weird!
No point in lifting the cake and trying to use the napkin...it already now has jam on it!

As I try to eat with the fork, I end up with shreds of tissue from the napkin. I also needed another napkin to wipe my mouth.

Please stop doing this. It really is a nonsense and doesn’t add anything if value to the experience.

2  Thank hepa

Reviewed 6 August 2018

The Chelsea road café is a local institution. A little well worn in the décor department but excellent coffee, cakes and sandwiches. For the peckish do try the salted caramel tiffin bar (about £2.00)
Service is invariably friendly and there are tables outside under the sun blind. The range of food has been cut back a bit this year but quality is good.Parking is free on the road and there are a few reasonable local shops

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

recently visited- no atmosphere and basically empty. the food offer is SO poor, if you are going to do cakes at least make them good ones and the sandwich offer is terrible.
basically the management need to take a long hard look at themselves and bring back the food menu so everyone can come back for a good breakfast.
with a new cafe opening soon you would think they would try and up their game rather than make it worse!

thechelseacafe, Owner at the chelsea cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2018

We regret to inform you that as of 31.03.2018 we are no longer in operation.

We would like to thank all customers for their support over our many years of success.

Reviewed 31 May 2018

Having been regular visitors to the Chelsea Road Café, and considering it a bit of a treat, I was very disappointed to visit today to find that it has changed hands. The foods we have all come to love have all now gone and have been replaced with, what the new owners consider to be 'healthy options'.

My friend ordered the smoked salmon on granary which initially appeared on white bread with a small beetroot salad and, when we brought it to their attention it reappeared on very dry granary bread with no beetroot salad. My friend left most of the sandwich as it was dry and tasteless, just eating the smoked salmon. When the member of staff cleared our table I said could I give some feedback and was advised that 'their sandwiches are not buttered' a fact which is not made clear on their menu. The coffee was also not as good as it used to be and the lunch was really expensive for what it was.

In truth we should have spotted something was different when we arrived to find lots of tables free which we initially put down to it being half term. Usually it is really busy and hard to get a table during the lunch period.

I would definitely not recommend this café to anyone and would urge the new owners not to try to fix something that wasn't broken. It was a fabulous place with fabulous non-pretentious food and this has now been lost. I will be interested to see how long they stay in business!

Reviewed 6 May 2018 via mobile

We have been regular users of the Chelsea Cafe over recent years. It’s no longer going to be on our recommended list. Firstly the cafe has been revamped - and opinions are mixed on whether it’s as attractive and pleasant as it used to be. Secondly the kitchen has been closed so no freshly prepared food. Gone are those fabulous breakfasts. Worst of all, the preprepared sandwiches were positively stale from having sat on a shelf. I’m not going to buy one of those again. So if all you want is a cup of coffee or tea, the cafe is ok. For anything more go elsewhere.

thechelseacafe, Owner at the chelsea cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2018