1,445 results
All reviews train station cream tea wowcher deal travelling by train bath spa railway station ground coffee breakfast and dinner manvers street superior room spa package roman baths thermae spa biscuits restaurant staff excellent location lovely hotel eggs benedict
Reviewed 15 October 2017

We arrived for a two night stay to celebrate our wedding anniversary and to see the wonderful sights of Bath. We couldn't have chosen a more friendly place, so conveniently situated with spotlessly clean rooms and lots of old fashioned charm. The whole hotel appears to have been nicely decorated recently and the bathrooms completely refitted with modern suites, so although the Royal is over 150 years old it doesn't really show its age other than a few creaking floor boards! The only minor problem is that the lift is very small, and with an awkward staircase for a chap with a walking stick, it was difficult to manoeuvre large suitcases up and down.

The Hop on Hop off buses stop directly outside the Hotel and the centre of the city is only a short stroll away with the Railway station just opposite. Although we travelled by car, we didn't need it at all! It stayed in the small Hotel Car park throughout our visit.

The restaurant was first class with delicious breakfasts and a wonderful choice of Menu for dinner offering superb quality and excellent service. The wine list was pretty good as well and not at all expensive when compared to similar establishments.

We were so impressed with the Royal Hotel that we are now planning to return next year with a group of friends for a slightly longer holiday. We can highly recommend this accommodation.

Room Tip: Rooms are better on Floors one and two, and the rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank BigTonyK
PatronHandR, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 October 2017

Thank you for your review and awarding us 5 stars following your wedding anniversary celebratory visit to Bath and The Royal.

I am delighted that you found the atmosphere friendly and that the accommodation, food and service were enjoyable.

It was good of you to highlight the quality of our wine list and great value which it offers.

We very much look forward to seeing you when you return with a group of friends for a longer holiday and am grateful to you for also recommending us to others.

Reviewed 14 October 2017

Lovely hotel right across from railway station. Comfortable beds, clean and excellent meals. The only down was the heat in the room even with radiators off. We had to leave the windows open overnight which meant lack of sleep due to the noise of the traffic. However, we did not alert reception as we did not wish to complain. On hindsight we should have asked reception to help. Overall I would recommend and would stay again.

Room Tip: Alert reception if you have any issues. The staff were excellent and very friendly.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Margaret M
PatronHandR, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2017

Many thanks for your review and for awarding us 5 stars

I am sorry that you found the room a little too hot because of the warm weather at the time of your visit and also regret that you did not sleep well as you would have hoped.

Notwithstanding this I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay sufficiently well to recommend us to others and hopefully we can see you again soon.

Reviewed 14 October 2017

Stayed at this hotel recently, and loved it! Train station just opposite, great central location to everything hotel clean comfy and fab! Staff friendly helpful nothing too much trouble. Had breakfast and dinner in the hotel restaurant and food was hot and tasty. Had a spa break which included spa tickets to the thermae spa, and the hotel provided a champagne cream tea in the bar. Everyone from the general manager, duty manager reception and bar staff made you feel welcome, I would return here again, and recommend to everyone. Thanks for such a lovely stay and keep up the good work!!

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank Caroline F

Many thanks for your review and awarding us 5 stars

I particularly appreciate your compliments regarding our friendly staff and the quality of our food.

I was also very pleased that you stayed on our spa break which is our most popular promotion and we feel that it offers the best value of any spa break in Bath.

Last but not least thank you for recommending us to others and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

We recently stayed at the Royal Hotel in Bath for a short mid week break. We chose it for its proximity to the railway station as we were travelling by train, as well as being a short walk from the main attractions in Bath. The hotel is beautifully decorated, very attentive and friendly staff. Room was clean and beds very comfortable. Would definitely recommend to anyone who wants to stay at the Royal Hotel. JRun

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Lisa R
PatronHandR, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Many thanks for your review and awarding us 5 stars following your midweek short break with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and a big thank you for recommending us to others who may be visiting Bath.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 10 October 2017

We stayed one night in the hotel on 7th September and used it to break up a long journey to the South West. It's conveniently located for the car park and the station. It's olde worlde in style, and a warm and friendly feel to it. The staff were polite and friendly and volunteered advice on where to go and to eat.

The beds were very comfy and breakfast was delicious. In these days of all-you-can-eat buffets, this was ordered and brought to you table. A much better experience than the scrum of a buffet service.

One final thing. I left a bracelet with my grand kids names on it, in my room when I left. Not only did they find it, but they posted it back to my home. Something I was very grateful for and to my shame, didn't get around to thanking them for afterwards.I hope they read this and accept my thanks.

We would definitely book here again when we visit Bath.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
2  Thank stormcooper
PatronHandR, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2017

Thank you for your review.

I am delighted that you enjoyed all the “olde worlde” charm which we offer at The Royal and that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful.

I was also pleased to note that you found our beds comfortable and enjoyed our award winning breakfast.

Thankfully we found your bracelet which you left behind and of course I am very happy to pass on your thanks to our staff who posted it to you.

I am pleased to note that you will stay with us when you are next in Bath and look forward to seeing you again soon.