1,445 results
All reviews train station cream tea wowcher deal travelling by train bath spa railway station ground coffee breakfast and dinner manvers street superior room spa package roman baths thermae spa biscuits restaurant staff excellent location lovely hotel eggs benedict
Reviewed 20 August 2012

My partner and I have returned from a weekend in the beautiful city of Bath with the only disappointment being this hotel. I booked after reading the reviews and I can only assume that we were given the worst room or the majority of the other reviewers have low standards.

- Reception upon arrival was ok although I was struggling with a few items of luggage and the gentleman behind the desk did not offer to assist me (I couldn't expect the girl to as she was heavily pregnant). Car parking is not included so my partner was off parking at the cost of around £10

- We had a room on the second floor and after my ascent up in the smallest lift in the world, the doors opened to what can only be descrbed as extremely tired decor. I was hoping that this would not be a reflection of the room but it was.

- Upon entering the room I was not impressed by the facilities provided (although the bed did prove to be comfortable). A standard selection of tea and coffee with a kettle circa 1960. Carpets were frayed and some paper was peeling on the ceiling with what looked to be damp in places. The hotel claim that it has recently been refurbished to keep in with a certain period but there are no real signs of refurbishment. The bathroom was adequate with some nice little shoe shine and sewing kits provided. Windows were opened immediately as the room was so stuffy. Ipod dock provided which was a bonus given the din from outside.

- My partner and I had a lovely stroll around Bath and went for a fantastic meal at Jamie Oliver's place and then a few drinks afterwards. I didn't notice as much noise during the night but then i had indulged in a fair few alcoholic beverages and was dead to the world. The next morning however was a different story...The gulls started with their dawn chorus which is what stirred me from my slumber, I drifted back to sleep to be woken again by the general hub-bub of traffic, people chattering, kids screeching excitedly etc but what really grated on my nerves was the beeping of the pedestrian crossing every minute or two. I appreciate that the hotel is in the centre of town but this was ridiculous.

Unfortunately we could not bring ourselves to attend breakfast but then, given the over-inflated views of this hotel I'm quite certain that we would have been disappointed.

- On checkout I was not asked how our stay was and found the whole experience very impersonal. There is a reason that this hotel is amongst one of the cheapest for it's location.

We will be returning to Bath but staying elsewhere

7  Thank Jasminx
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2012

Dear Guest
I am sorry you left with such a poor impression of The Royal Hotel. The receptionist who checked you in had told her colleague that you were waiting for your patner, hence the reason he did not
offer assistance.The lift is exactly the same size as the Ritz in London and obviously they have
a number of lifts given their size in comparison to The Royal.
I have checked the bedroom thoroughly and cannot find the paper defects you described. It is possible that the light bulbs in the bedroom may have cast a shadow which caused you to believe
there was a damp patch.The hotel has been totally refurbished over the last three and a half years
with new carpets, beds, bathrooms etc. Our maintenance team are constantly checking and putting
right any defects. We offer limited car parking facilities and we always direct guests to the best value car parking sites when our spaces are full. I believe we are one of only 3 hotels in Bath that
offer a selection of high quality teas, coffees, drinking chocolate , biscuits and fresh ground cafetiere coffee in the bedroom. We also provide complimentary bottled water.
We also offer room service for food and beverages. It is a shame that you did not try our breakfast,
which is included in the room charge. Our breakfast has received a special award from Visit Britain.
This award has to be earned and I can assure you it is awarded to very few establishments.
The price we charge for our rooms is based on offering great value to our guests.
The Royal was designed and built by the famous,Isambard Kingdom Brunel and we have used
professional designers that our refurbishment was in keeping with the building.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

booked for two nights dinner but after the dining room staff being more interested in getting ready to go home, resetting tabled for breakfast around us, despite them giving us a 9pm booking, we cancelled the second.
when the bill was incorrect the receptionist was not only rude but aggressive.
shame that the customer service let the fabulous building down so badly.

• Stayed: September 2011
6  Thank jwb1701
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2012

Dear Guest

This review has me baffled.
Breakfast tables are only laid up when the last dinner guest has left the restaurant, never before then.
It is impossible to envisage any of the receptionists being rude. It is not in their nature and I would
not tolerate it from them.

Genera Manager

Reviewed 15 August 2012

We have now eaten at this restaurant 5 times and are unlikely to do so again. I am vegetarian along with a proportion of the population, and we are very poorly catered for. There is a pasta meal which is poorly described and is tasteless. The following evening there was the same meal and a mushroom rissotto meal. As these are usually overly full of mushrooms I looked for something else - even an expanded starter, but no luck. It would be so easy to extend the menu. We were told that the menu is only changed every few months so good luck to any vegetarians who wish to eat there!
My partner commented that the Men's toilets on the ground floor were absolutely disgusting, and there were no hand- drying facilities.

2  Thank Tricia H
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for dining with us on several occasions. Our menu which is featured on our website has
10 starters of which 6 are vegetarian. The main courses have a selection of 13, of which 2 are
vegetarian. On reflection I believe we should increase that number. We regularly change the menu
in line with the seasons and we are always happy to accommodate guests if they have a particular
dish they would like us to cook for them. Provided they give the chef advanced notice to ensure he
has all the ingredients. Our toilets are thoroughly cleaned every night and they are constantly
checked by management throughout the day. The gents toilets have 2 hand driers located next to the sinks and they are in perfect working order.
We sincerely hope to see you both back at The Royal.

Reviewed 12 August 2012

Staff very friendly and helpful. Our room was right on the corner by the traffic lights so was quite noisy, but as the hotel is a city hotel this type of noise is to be expected. We booked for bed breakfast and evening meal. The meals were all lovely, well presented and tasty. Our only comment is that the menu was not very big and was the same for the 5 days we were there.
Hotel recommended but maybe think about going out in the evening if you are there for longer than a night or two and want variety in your food.

Reviewed 9 August 2012

Decided on a whim to jump on the train and spend a night in Bath,we chose the Royal due to its location to the station,not knowing the layout of the city,we thought this would be a good choice as we could dump our bag and explore.We need not have worried as everything is on the doorstep,shops,pubs,restaurants,attractions,all within comfortable walking distance.

Check in was friendly and stress free,we were given the keys for room 204,we were more than happy with our room,decorated in a tasteful victorian style,with a canopy and pleated drapes around the head of a HUGE bed,good quality linen and pillows.We had double aspect windows overlooking the station (not a great view,but is city centre).We loved all the little extras,robes ,slippers,chocolates,biscuits,and my favourite,the caffietere with twinnings ground coffee (bliss).The bathroom was spotless! With both bath and shower,and once again all the little extras,besides the usual shampoo etc,we were provided with a sewing kit,shower cap and shoe shine kit.

Plenty of choice at breakfast,the main menu offers,cooked breakfast,kippers,smoked haddock,eggs benedict,unlimited tea and ground coffee.

TIP- The night we stayed,we had the windows open and due to the proximity to the station,you will experience some noise (bing bong,the next train to arrive etc).Also night time revellers chatting and laughing on there way for taxis.This did not bother us at all,and did not affect our sleep quality.But if you are sensitive to external noise,it might be worth asking for a quiet room.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Royal and would definately stay again