1,444 results
All reviews train station cream tea wowcher deal travelling by train bath spa railway station ground coffee breakfast and dinner manvers street superior room spa package roman baths thermae spa biscuits restaurant staff excellent location lovely hotel eggs benedict
Reviewed 8 May 2012

I stayed here for two nights over the may bank holiday! It is really close to the station - so easy to walk to the main sites in Bath and many places to eat! The hotel itself is very clean - The room was a bit on the small size - but with high ceilings meant that you didn't feel claustrophobic - a bit chintzy with the decoration/ old fashion - but fine - TV is a bit crap - two channels which kept cutting out, but I wasn't here to watch TV - so it was OK! The breakfast was good - great selection of dishes - portions are a bit small - but it was very tasty!
The hotel - as with all the hotels in Bath, is a bit pricey for what you get - but all in all, it was an enjoyable stay with conscientious staff! I would go back!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Naths81
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2012

Dear Guest
Thank you for staying with us and your nice comments.
With reference to the television. All of our televisions are flat screen with an integral DVD player.
Our Televisions have both analogue and digital signals. The analogue channel features a short
promotional film of Bath, designed to welcome you and enhance your visit.
In the welcome folder in the bedroom there are clear instructions on how to swith to digital
cahnnels. My apologies for any disappointment you may have had as a result of not viewing the
television.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

We stayed here this weekend on the spa break deal. It was our anniversary treat so we were hoping that we would have a lovely relaxing time.

First impression
When we arrived at reception we were ignored for about 3 minutes by the woman behind the desk without so much as an acknowledgment. When she did turn around she simply said: 'name'. We were not feeling very positive about our first impression and not made to feel very welcome.

Location & rooms
This hotel is opposite the station which is very convenient. Having said that, it is the location which is this hotels downfall. We stayed in a room on the third floor overlooking the station and a taxi rank. Until 4am on our first night, drunk people were hanging around waiting for taxis and making a lot of noise. The double glazed windows didn't drown out the noise and when shut it was boiling hot in the room too. A no win situation.

We called down to reception at 3.30am to complain and ask to be moved. The night porter said that the hotel was full but that even if it wasnt, he didn't have access to other room keys. He said he would pass on my complaint to the manager in the morning.

In the morning, we asked again for a change of room and were told that they were full in a sharp tone without asking more about what the problem was or apologising for us having a bad night sleep. We were exhausted and felt like we were causing trouble when all we wanted was to be able to sleep the next evening. We were however moved to a superior room for the second night which was much better and much appreciated.

The restaurant staff were very polite and exhibited excellent customer service. It's a pity that all other staff didn't show us the same care and attention.

When we checked out, the bill seemed to be written in a very confusing way, which made it seem like we had been charged for the upgrade on the second night. It was actually correct but this just added to the stress of the weekend.

Overall verdict: we wouldn't stay here again and wouldn't recommend. It wasn't a good deal for the money (£175 per night for spa break). This was our anniversary weekend and we had high hopes. Unfortunately we will remember our weekend in Bath for all the wrong reasons.

Room Tip: Do not stay in rooms overlooking station and taxi rank
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Ros12186338

Dear Guest
I am sorry you were disturbed by noise coming from the train station. I have no idea why people
would be anywhere near the station at that time because it had been closed for hours.
The night supervisor had informed, hence the reason I managed to move you to a superior room.
On your arrival the receptionist was on the telephone and she assures me that she acknowledged
you non verbally with a hand wave and eye contact. My apologies if you missed " her acknowledgment". Because you moved rooms the bill you received showed both rooms. However
the total was correct. You were not charged for the upgrade.I can assure you our Spa Package offers very good value when you compare our prices to similar hotels in Bath. No other hotel offers
complimentary towels, toiletries and slippers to take with them to the spa.
Thank you for staying with us and may I offer you a belated congratulations on your anniversary.

Reviewed 30 April 2012

I went with 6 friends on a girls weekend to celebrate a 50th birthday. Great location for us and reasonable price with great staff and good breakfast and we also had good lunch. Unfortunately no triples available so I volunteered to go solo as I was not birthday girl. Box room at back without double glazing, so when gulls were out calling to their mates it was very noisy. Cold even though heating worked and why those opaque windows ,ok the view was ugly but to be expected and those windows made the room seem even smaller.I personally felt claustrophobic in the room. Found out on last morning that others had cafetiere and ground coffee I only got cheap instant coffee. I began to feel discriminated against and consider this a cheek as I paid more for small single room than they individually paid to share, especially as they also had warm rooms . Bathroom very small and sitting on loo could cause you to burn yourself on towel rail [which was very hot thankfully so gave some additional heat to room if you left door open] . Solved by wrapping towel around the bars. Bed up against wall was comfortable but kept awake by cold and gulls , fortunately extra blanket available. I know I have high expectations but I can see why single travellers grouse. I do not mind paying single supplement but at least give me same treatment as those in double rooms please. The coffee situation really rankled and easy to remedy.

Room Tip: Single travellers be aware you will be in very small rooms .
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2012

Thank you for your lovely comments and I would like to address the other issues raised.
We only have 2 single rooms and the remaining rooms are twins, doubles, Four Posters
etc. They are fitted out with everything you would expect in a double room. Telephone, Wifi
hair dryer, trouser press, complimentary beverage tray, biscuits, instant nescafe coffee sticks,
suchard hot chocolate and a selection of twinings teas.We also provide ground lavazza coffee
and a cafetiere. ( We only purchase premium branded products throughout the hotel).
The housekeeper had removed your cafetiere, because when cleaning the room she noticed
it was leaking. unfortunately she forgot to replace it. If you had mentioned it we would have apologised and replaced it immediately.
All radiators have their own thermostatic control valve and your radiator must have been in the " off"
position. We have checked the radiator and it is working perfectly i.e. to the same temperature
as the towel rail. The lower portion of the window is "frosted" for extra privacy when the curtains
are open.
Once again may i thank you for staying with us and for your comments.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

Have just returned from a girls weekend away and would just like to say how much we enjoyed staying at The Royal Hotel. It's a small hotel in a great location - literally opposite the train station and an easy walk into town and all the attractions that Bath has to offer.
We booked a package which included 2 nights incl breakfast, dinner on one night, entrance into the Thermae Spa and a champagne cream tea. Excellent value for money.
What really made it such a good stay was the excellent, friendly service we received from all the staff. Nothing was too much trouble - we never once encountered anyone who wasn't accommodating and there to please (this included the manager, receptionists, night porter, barman, waitresses and the cleaners). You certainly wouldn't get this level of personnel service from a larger chain.
The rooms, although on the smallish size, have lots of little extras - even a cafetiere and fresh coffee.
Thank you everyone for your hard work and for your commitment to customer service. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: There are some refurbished rooms that would be worth asking for
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2012

It's difficult to put my finger on the problems with this hotel, just something was not right.
I booked a double room, however they must have misheard me and I ended up in the smallest double room ever.
The 'bathrom' was smaller than one in a touring caravan !!!!
Car park is £8ish a day - not good with how much you are already paying per night.
I think the shower had come out in protest with the hosepipe ban, as hardly anything came out of it.
Room was clean enough, but could have been cleaner - very dusty, with a family of flies (very big) living on the window.
Breakfast was ok, but the tables 'for two' are so small, I asked to sit on a table for four (it was never occupied), but was told I was not allowed !!! The breakfast staff were very surly.

Room Tip: Book the Travelodge !!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

Thank you for staying at The Royal. Mr Brunel designed the Royal in 1846 and consequently
most of the rooms are different shapes and sizes, which refelects the rates we charge and
is part of it's character. The room in question at £85 including an award winning full English
breakfast is very competetively priced for a midweek stay in comparison to similar hotels in
Bath.The water pressure in the shower is pump driven and is not a power shower.
We can offer superior and Four Poster rooms but they are more expensive. All of the bedrooms
and bathrooms have been totally refurbished with new in the last 18 months.
Very few city centre hotels have private car parking and our rate of £8.20 for 24 hours is far
less than you would pay elsewhere. The breakfast girls have been with us for a long time and
are constantly praised. I cannot understand why they looked " surly" that morning. The large
table was reserved for a family who were staying with us. Hence the reason the girls were
unable to let the guest sit there.We try to exceed guests expectations, but on this occasion
we failed and I apologise for that. Hopefully you will stay with us on your next visit to Bath.

Kind regards