1,442 results
All reviews train station cream tea wowcher deal travelling by train bath spa railway station ground coffee breakfast and dinner manvers street superior room spa package roman baths thermae spa biscuits restaurant staff excellent location lovely hotel eggs benedict
Reviewed 29 April 2012

Have just returned from a girls weekend away and would just like to say how much we enjoyed staying at The Royal Hotel. It's a small hotel in a great location - literally opposite the train station and an easy walk into town and all the attractions that Bath has to offer.
We booked a package which included 2 nights incl breakfast, dinner on one night, entrance into the Thermae Spa and a champagne cream tea. Excellent value for money.
What really made it such a good stay was the excellent, friendly service we received from all the staff. Nothing was too much trouble - we never once encountered anyone who wasn't accommodating and there to please (this included the manager, receptionists, night porter, barman, waitresses and the cleaners). You certainly wouldn't get this level of personnel service from a larger chain.
The rooms, although on the smallish size, have lots of little extras - even a cafetiere and fresh coffee.
Thank you everyone for your hard work and for your commitment to customer service. Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: There are some refurbished rooms that would be worth asking for
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 April 2012

It's difficult to put my finger on the problems with this hotel, just something was not right.
I booked a double room, however they must have misheard me and I ended up in the smallest double room ever.
The 'bathrom' was smaller than one in a touring caravan !!!!
Car park is £8ish a day - not good with how much you are already paying per night.
I think the shower had come out in protest with the hosepipe ban, as hardly anything came out of it.
Room was clean enough, but could have been cleaner - very dusty, with a family of flies (very big) living on the window.
Breakfast was ok, but the tables 'for two' are so small, I asked to sit on a table for four (it was never occupied), but was told I was not allowed !!! The breakfast staff were very surly.

Room Tip: Book the Travelodge !!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

Thank you for staying at The Royal. Mr Brunel designed the Royal in 1846 and consequently
most of the rooms are different shapes and sizes, which refelects the rates we charge and
is part of it's character. The room in question at £85 including an award winning full English
breakfast is very competetively priced for a midweek stay in comparison to similar hotels in
Bath.The water pressure in the shower is pump driven and is not a power shower.
We can offer superior and Four Poster rooms but they are more expensive. All of the bedrooms
and bathrooms have been totally refurbished with new in the last 18 months.
Very few city centre hotels have private car parking and our rate of £8.20 for 24 hours is far
less than you would pay elsewhere. The breakfast girls have been with us for a long time and
are constantly praised. I cannot understand why they looked " surly" that morning. The large
table was reserved for a family who were staying with us. Hence the reason the girls were
unable to let the guest sit there.We try to exceed guests expectations, but on this occasion
we failed and I apologise for that. Hopefully you will stay with us on your next visit to Bath.

Kind regards

Mike MacDermid

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Man on the front desk was rude. I asked (very politely, because that's how I roll) if we could have a nice room seeing as we'd arrived at night and they wouldn't be able to sell many/any more rooms. He rudely said they never do free upgrades. Could've said something like, "I'm sorry, I'm afraid we can't", alternately could've said what he said w/out being rude, but I guess that was too much trouble. I'm not owed free upgrades and that wasn't the problem - when staff are hostile, THAT is a problem. Seemed disinterested and unhappy to be there every time we saw him. Middle-aged guy - owners should have a word w/ him unless he is an owner.

As usual for England, only a duvet, no blanket option, meaning the bed was way too warm for the warm-blooded. Bring your own, American traveller friends. Overhead chandelier light bulbs were extremely bright - we removed some from their sockets, hid them in a drawer and replaced them before we left. Otherwise, the room was nice - very spacious and clean. Noisy, though - we got woken up by partiers outside at 2-3am. Try to get a room on the other side.

Restaurant was good.

Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2012

I would like to confirm that the hotel has been in the same ownership since 1995 and we have never
used duvets on the beds. We provide our guests with quality Egyptian cotton sheets and pillowcases, merino wool blankets and excellent quality bedspreads in all of our bedrooms.
It is clear that the writer of this review has identified the wrong hotel.

Kind Regards

Mike MacDermid

Reviewed 20 April 2012

While en route to Bristol, to avenge my London blues with something less hectic, I was enthralled with the rolling countryside between Paddington and Bristol, so much so open space and green green grass, the last town Chippenham made me squirm a bit, when we sidled into Bath Spa station and I saw the sign for The Royal Hotel through a station window. When the super-train rolled I was walking across the street get a room unreserved, dumping my baggage and off on a brilliant sunlight afternoon taking pictures. Fabulous good health walking up hill to a huge cathedral, hundreds of years old built on the grounds of the 2000 year old Roman spa. Hello. Thank the heavenly gods for providing wonderful limestone building, antique, and beautiful to take photos. After two days, good rest bed and charming old mode hotel, wonderful people, everybody from the manager down to the cleaning ladies who I'm going back to take to a pub, to some eclectic guests, lol, all were a special treat ejuvenating my will to storm The Tower of London asap. Ok there were problems, no laundry for a guy a week out in London. MIND THE STEP, my room stepped down, so even a saint will forget the big door sign. The secret is.., or my discovery, the breakfast has the best cooked eggs ever. Really.

Room Tip: 103 hidden away for romantic interlude
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo
recp, General Manager at Royal Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

I would like to confirm we do offer a laundry facility here at the Hotel, but as we specify in
the guest bedroom folder. The guest requires to deliver their laundry to reception by
8.30a.m on the day to guarantee the return by the following day as it is sent out to be done
professionally. In this case the guest presented his laundry at approximately midday
and was checking out early the following day which was insufficient time to complete
the task.

Reviewed 17 April 2012

We stayed at the Royal Hotel over the Weekend with three other couples on a Spa break, to celebrate one persons 50th birthday.
We found the hotel to be clean and in the perfect position for a break to visit Bath, within walking distance of all the places we wanted to see, including some great pubs.
All the staff were friendly and professional, from the manager, to the receptionists, to the waitresses, the cleaners and the barman.
The food was much better than the 'average,' breakfast had lots of choice and plentiful, dinner was very tasty, try the 'black pudding' or 'Moules' starters my personal favourites, everyone had good mains, and if you have space for desserts then the cheese board or the syllabub are also well worth a try.
As this was a spa break we went to the thermal baths and this was also an experience, never been before but would go back, then back to the hotel for the Champagne and cream tea. Great finish to the weekend. Try it, you won't be dissapointed.

Room Tip: all the rooms were similar and quiet
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends