“Best meal out in a very long time”

The Olive Tree Frankwell
Ranked #19 of 405 Restaurants in Shrewsbury
Price range: USD 4 - USD 32
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A unique, family run bistro & bar nestled in the heart of Frankwell. Passionate about the vibrant Mediterranean culture; their food, music and drink! Enjoy an authentic Mediterranean experience where you can relax and enjoy chefs diverse range of tapas and classic bistro dishes. Come along for a sit down meal or enjoy casual drinks and food in our lounge area. We also have an exquisite terraced garden where you can lap up the summer sun with a jug of sangria or cuddle up by a fire in the winter Can cater for all dietary requirements, no problem!
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Wife had never experienced tapas before so found this little gem after a quick Google search and gave it a go.

Venue, lovely atmosphere and decor.
Staff, warm and welcoming.
Food, tasty and great value for money.

My wife's vegertarian and I eat meat so we struggle to find somewhere we both enjoy. Typically one of us walks away disappointed. This is the first time we can remember both leaving very impressed.

Already booked our next visit.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Called in early evening before going to theatre Severn, turned out to be really good. Would recommend and definitely go again. Food good and staff helpful and cheerful, no problem.

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

I had been meaning to try here for ages, so when a friend suggested meeting up here I was really keen.

We were a party of 5. We had booked a table for 6, but one dropped out. On arrival we were taken to a table of 4...so a bit disorganised.

Staff were all very pleasant and polite and service was reasonably quick although a couple of dishes had to be chased up.

The menu came and I found it to be very sparse. I like tapas but if a member of your groups isn’t keen they’d have little choice - it was either that or pizza. Decent selection of drinks at reasonable prices.

We all ordered a mix of cold and warm tapas. We were informed the cold would come out first then the hot, which was fine, not much of a wait between. However 15 minutes later one of my dishes hadn’t arrived and had to be chased up.

My friends were relatively happy with their tapas however I was quite disappointed with mine. I had the pitta and hummus which was lovely and had a further dip of spices which were tasty. Unfortunately i wasn’t overly impressed with the rest. I had a garlic bread, of which garlic was not really an identifying flavour, patatas bravas, which I have had before and usually enjoy but this was extremely bland and tasted like passata out the carton and nothing else and finally a chilli chicken dish, which was extremely bland and with an unpleasant texture. Such a shame as I had had such high hopes, and with reading other reviews I hope I visited on an off evening.

We didn’t fancy pudding so had some hot drinks to finish. My friend asked if the chamomile tea was just chamomile as the description mentioned anise. We were told if was just chamomile after waiting for the staff member to find out. It definitely wasn’t and did have anise, which again was a little disappointing.

All in all I felt the experience was quite lacklustre. I wouldn’t write off coming again, as as I’ve said I’m hoping it was just an off night. There was a pleasant finishing touch to the evening though with a complimentary limoncello shot.

1  Thank HannahM2359
Reviewed 2 November 2018 via mobile

Visited for my grandauter birthday. Sorry but I think the food is overpriced and not that good.
We ordered a mixture of Tappas and sorry but I have had Tappas in Spain and to describe this as Tappas it is not even close.
One of the dishes Calamari was just greasy obviously not cooked in hot oil.
The fillings on the Pizzas was very sparse and didn't look that appertising.
This restaurant gets good reviews but for me never again.

4  Thank kcimdrib
Reviewed 18 October 2018 via mobile

Friendly efficient service. Six well prepared dishes. Excellent value for money. Will call in again when we have more time.