1,174 results
All reviews charles dickens hayward restaurant creaky floorboards car park historic hotel coaching inn travelzoo voucher wyle cop lovely old hotel old building glass of prosecco lots of history steeped in history on site parking course meal centre of town high street
Reviewed 4 April 2018

I've been told many times that Shrewsbury is worth a visit and believe me it certainly is! The Lion is a perfect base for a weekend away. Right in the middle of the action for both eating and drinking and a short walk away from some lovely gardens and the Town Walls. Yes, it's a bit creaky, the floors slope and the furniture is a bit dated but it is an old coachhouse and it's clean and welcoming. The car park is 30 yards away and cost just £5 for the two night stay. Well priced, with a bar, lift and function room, I wouldn't hesitate to return. Great weekend!

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
foh14, General Manager at The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2018

Dear Guest

Thank you for your recent review and delighted to see the Lion was a perfect base and location for a weekend away in Shrewsbury.

Your kind comments are much appreciated and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Lion on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 1 April 2018

Centrally located with secure on site parking for £5 ...
Our room was ready on check in and was a comfortable double with the usual amenities.The room was very warm so had to sleep with the window wide open but there were no noise issues .
A minor point was the hospitality tray .... only 4 cartons of milk . We asked at reception for some more but the receptionists response was " haven't you got any in your room ?"Frustrating but she did provide us with a little jug of fresh milk eventually..
Breakfast staff were pleasant and order is taken at the table rather than help yourself.Nice hot coffee .

• Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alikavner

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Please be assured your comments relating to the customer service you received at reception and heating in your room will be discussed with the team.

I am delighted you found the breakfast staff pleasant and the coffee and breakfast experience met your expectations.

I do hope to welcome you back to the Lion on your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

Checkin was OK the lady was quite helpful about my car parking in the Garage £5 for the weekend.
I got too my room the door was open and cleaning materials were in the doorway, eventually the cleaner turned up I explained that I was told my room was ready it was one hour after checkin time.
I took a seat in the hallway while he gave it a quick clean and hoover.
The room was very tired off coloured nets plenty of wardrobe space, shower was quite powerful plenty if hot water.
Bar is ok but quite pricey.
I found the staff very ignorant at breakfast and slow full english one bacon sausage egg mushroom beans and tomato and 2 rounds of toast the beans were very nice.
For the £45 I paid not bad for a central hotel.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled solo
foh14, General Manager at The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2018

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to post a review.

Please be assured the issues you encountered on check in and with service at breakfast will be looked into and discussed with my team, my apologies for this.

I do hope it does not deter you from visiting the Lion in the not too distant future were I am sure you will see a marked improvement in some of the standards you encountered.

Reviewed 28 March 2018

Hotel right in the heart of the lovely medieval town, so convenient. Lovely room. Parking cost £5 for the day. Evening meal was lovely and breakfast was wonderfully cooked. Staff were polite and friendly. The only downside was there was no heating in the room, after 4 o’clock it started to get a bit cold.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your kind comments further to your recent stay, they are much appreciated and will be shared with the team.

I will most definately look into the issues with the heating in your room.

I do look forward to welcoming you back to the Lion on your next visit to Shrewsbury.

Reviewed 20 March 2018

18 of my family and friends joined my parents for dinner to celebrate their Golden Wedding Anniversay. We chose the hotel because they had been to the Lion 50 years previously for their wedding reception.

We booked and pre ordered our meals and made the table selection in advance.

On arrival we were greeted with some lovely Prosecco in a lounge reserved for our sole use.
The bar staff were very busy and after 20 minutes of the male members of the group waiting to be served their drinks Anastasia the receptionist took their orders and brought them their drinks. For the rest of the evening Anastasia looked after us extremely well as the bar staff seemed to be struggling a little!

We had the most delicious food in the Hayward restaurant, every course was perfect, hot and well presented. Compliments to the chef because it was superb.

The hotel is warm, traditionsl and had a really lovely relaxed atmosphere.

Room Tip: The Dickens Suite is lovely and has a lovely view of the Wyle Cop
Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
foh14, General Manager at The Lion Hotel Shrewsbury by Compass Hospitality, responded to this reviewResponded 20 March 2018

Dear Guest

Firstly many congratulations to your parents on their 50th Wedding Anniversay (Wow!) and delighted the overall experience and celebration was in line with your expectations. Please be assured I will look into the issue of the slight delay at the bar!

Thank you for particularly mentioning Anastasia she will be thrilled to bits with your kind comments and I will be sure to thank her personally.

I do hope you pop in from time to time when your ever in town.