“Mostly good”

Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Ludlow
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Mostly good”
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Fishmore Hall is just outside Ludlow (the town is in walking distance in good weather). It is sited in a pleasant location with some nice views.
The welcome we received was impeccable, as was the service throughout our stay.
Our room was, mostly, very pleasant; the shower room was superb.
Though the room was clean and nicely appointed (and had real coffee – hooray!), there were some niggling faults which could have used a bit more attention, for example, the curtains in the room were falling off the rail and the draught around the outside door had to be felt to be believed!
However, we’d really gone for the food – and that was excellent!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Dr_Bob1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (201)
Liverpool
Reviewed 4 February 2012

Stayed for 2 nights on a living social deal which was excellent value. we ate in the restaurant on our first night - the food was excellent and the service faultless. I would definitely recommend it. The chef and staff are to be commended. Breakfast was very good too. The room was fine - very comfortable king size bed and no complaints but I guess if I was paying the full price I would feel a little differently. I notice they do weddings and me and my hubby both thought it would be a great wedding venue .hope this review is useful .

• Stayed February 2012
Liverpool
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Spent a weekend here (using KGB deals voucher). Very impressive- nice location- lovely bedroom (no 5), comfortable bed,good facilities.
The dinner menu is quite pricey and we decided to eat in town but I'm sure it's probably worth it.
Breakfast was great with a good range of cooked options.
Staff were very helpful throughout the weekend.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2012

this was four time at the staying in the fishmore , we had a three day brack over new year its was one of the best new bracks we have have . The staff and the food was execllent as ever .and if you into walking there are some good walk from the hotel and also get a walking leaflet from reception for the local area .i would recommend having a three day new year brack

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank derrick g
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 January 2012

I chose this hotel based on the Trip Adviser Reports and, having stayed in several other hotels in the Ludlow area, was looking for a hotel that would not disappoint as most of the others have done todate.

First impressions are great. The reception at check-in was first class. The room accommodation (Room 5) is impressive. Bar area, restaurant and guest lounge very pleasant and certainly achieve the hotel's 3 star rating.

So why the "Style over Substance review"?

Whilst it is appreciated that a booking in January will mean that a there is likely to be a limited number of guests staying overnight, it should not result in a reduced service from the staff on duty.

I went down for dinner at 7.30pm and was met by a friendly waitress who took my order for a bar meal. I then had to wait for 35 minutes for my smoked salmon starter to arrive.

The meal, which was not smoked salmon, was just about warm and inedible.

When I complained to the duty manager (Martin) he checked with the chef and reported back to me that there was no smoke salmon available that evening and the chef had decided to produce "something else" without checking with me first.

The chef (through Martin) offered me some bread rolls as compensation along with a suggestion that I may wish to order something from the restaurant menu as a sweet course.

My main course, ordered as Sole with vegetables, including peas, was presented as sole goujons with a stack of thick cut chips and a green wipe of pea sauce on a small plate . Whilst it was hardly what one would call a Main Course, what there was of it tasted delicious - It was, however, overpriced at £14.95.

As I was still hungry,I took up the Chef's offer to chose a sweet from the restaurant menu. I chose a rhubarb dish which arrived in good time and was very pleasant but again very small and of little substance.

Overall the evening experience was poor and very disappointing.

Before retiring to bed I advised Martin that I would be down for breakfast at 8am and wished to discuss my disappointments with the owner Laura Penman. Martin agreed to pass on my message.

At 8am I went into the breakfast area and found that I was alone apart from one other guest. There were no staff present and, having looked around the rooms adjacent to the restaurant for a few minutes, had to resort to dialing"0" on the telephone by reception to get some attention.

When a member of staff arrived I had to ask him what was being offered for breakfast as there were no menus available on the tables.

Despite the feeling of being on the Mary Celeste, the breakfast, when it arrived, was delicious.

I asked the waiter if the owner Laura Penman had arrived yet and be told me that she had not and was not expected until later that morning

At about 9am I went back to my room, packed my belongings and checked out.

It is indeed a pity that guests comments are apparently of little importance or interest to the Hotel Management.

I looked for the Hotel Comments Card, which was supposed to be available in the room, but was unable to find a copy.

Admittedly I could have asked for a copy at reception, but with the apparent lack of interest from the hotel's owner or management I didn't think it was worth the bother.

Shame really as it really would not take a great deal more for the the substance of the hotel to match the style.

Room Tip: Any of the rooms will not disappoint