“Lovely food and good service”
Review of The Swan Taphouse

The Swan Taphouse
Ranked #10 of 30 Restaurants in Ironbridge
Cuisines: British
Good for: Local cuisine
Good for: Local cuisine
Reviewed 21 February 2018

Had an evening meal here and found the food to be excellent and reasonably priced. This is a Marston's tied house so the range of beers is limited and there were no guest beers when we visited.

Reviewed 20 February 2018

We had previously been here for a breakfast that was really nice and so was the service so with that in mind we reserved a table for 6 last Saturday night. We were all hungry and were looking forward to being fed. 4 of us had chicken and rib combo 1 had a pie meal 1 a burger meal. It was so dark we had to use our phones to read the menu I understand lower light can be nice this was beyond that by far. The meals were not cheap which isn't a problem as long as the quality is there. When the meals finally came I have seen bigger happy meals the ribs were way overcooked the portions poor and we waited over 25 minutes for the bill and had to go to the bar to pay where the waitress apologised for forgetting us. I would not recommend this place we left hungry and as the title said disappointed.

1  Thank grant19682016
Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

My wife and I visited The Swan early on Saturday evening as I was due in work later. It’s our first visit and first impressions were not good as the decor is quite shabby. They appear to be going for an industrial look but it really hasn’t worked, corrugated steel across one wall and wood nailed across the windows just looks cheap and almost like a novice to DIY has decorated the place. I had booked a table online but when we walked in there wasn’t an obvious place or person to speak with and you have to go to the bar before being shown to your table.
The service at the table was reasonable but very disorganised, we had several members of staff ask to take our orders after we had already made them and it seemed like nobody knew what colleagues had already done.
Main meals were both very good and were the major positives of the evening, Mrs T had the salmon and I had a smoked meat tray, I read that they smoke their own locally produced meat and it really is excellent, really tasty and superbly cooked.
The actual tray itself would unfortunately be another negative mark as it was a cheap tin tray which had gone out of shape with age and it kept moving around whilst I was trying to eat. I know restaurants like to be quirky but in my opinion the tray needs a rethink.
We both had the apricot sticky toffee pudding which tasted good but I’m not sure whether it was supposed to be hot or cold? It was served just about luke warm as was the accompanying sauce, if it was hot it would be very good indeed.
The big test is always “would you go back to eat there again?” Well the food just about overcame the many aspects that just aren’t right and yes we will probably revisit the restaurant.
If the manager reads this review they may wonder why we didn’t complain especially about the luke warm puddings, the truth is that had we had more time I’m sure we would but I was due in work and hadn’t got time to wait for another portion.
This is definitely a place for meat lovers who think the quality of the food is the most important consideration.

1  Thank Dougt04
Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

I purchased the tea for two as a birthday gift for a friend, and admittedly i was a little disappointed that it was for Mon to Fri but I had a spare afternoon so we booked in.
We were greeted with a lovely welcome and take to our reserved table by the window from where we could see the river.
In front of a roaring log fire it was lovely and relaxing.
We had endless pots of tea and our food was brought out quite quickly.
The food was presented in a very pleasing manner and tasted divine.
Small buns filled with pulled pork and slaw, cheese and chutney, egg mayonnaise were the savouries provided all tasty and well filled.
The sweets were lush fresh moist scones still warm served with ample amounts of jam and clotted cream, strawberries dipped in chocolate, lemon cheesecake and finished with a toffee caramel popcorn topped moist light sponge.
Oh my days and oh my diet !!!
We will be back there's no doubt about it
Well done the Swan !

Reviewed 14 February 2018

Not my first choice for a Monday night but the Tapas restaurant was closed.At least you can park outside. I'm no expert on smoked American food but it was OK. Staff friendly, service a bit ht & miss.