“Not for meat eaters Large burrito left disappointed”

The Street Food Chef
Ranked #35 of 1,498 Restaurants in Sheffield
Price range: USD 4 - USD 13
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Street Food Chef We love street food - it's fresh, simple, honest. We particularly love Mexican street food, as it's delicious, healthy and packed with flavour!All our salsa and meat marinades are made with fresh ingredients. Our aim is to use locally sourced ingredients, (Moss Valley Fine Meats) we will keep you updated using our website, twitter and facebook.Come and find us at one of our Sheffield City Centre locations or at one of the events we are attending this summer, every bite is packed with punch and will keep you coming back for more! Visit us for a take away at 98 Pinstone Street - opening hours: Mon - Sat 10 - 5, Sun 12 - 4 Or eat in at our licensed canteen at 90 Arundel Street - opening hours: Mon - Sat 10 - 10, Sun 12 - 9
Reviewed 16 November 2016 via mobile

When street food chef first opened this was the spot to grab a lunchtime bite. It was every burrito lovers dream, huge portions and stuffed full of meat. Honestly, it was amazing and I recommend this place to a number of friends and clients.

Now fast forward to 2016 - Large burrito consists of
One (level ice cream) scoop of refried beans, one scoop of meat, two scoops of salad, two scoops of rice. Great for Street food chef but it doesn't represent good value for the customer. Bag of rice must cost 50p and I bet they make 100s of burritos for that cost.

During my recent stay, I thought I must have had a bad burrito! This was after all the holy grail of tasty Mexican goodness. Nope. Only this time I sat near to the serving area and watched them make burritos to the exact portion recipe above.
On both occasions I asked for soured cream ( they don't sell or have mayonnaise) and was charged 50p a pot.
Mexican food is so simple that it practically revolves around 5 ingredients - this place must make a fortune!!!!!

No wedges. Rip off brownie prices and just a dire experience.

The only positive experience about SFS is the staff, very friendly.

Would I visit again? Nope. Try Amigos / bucking burritos - both of these on a similar price point with much better food and bigger portions. Better still, go to KFC / McDonald's and get a full meal deal for less.

Abi G, Owner at The Street Food Chef, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2016

Hi, I'm so sorry that you have had a disappointing experience with us. Our portions sizes have not changed since we opened, there should be two scoops of meat in a large burrito, as there have always been. And 1 scoop of rice, in a large burrito we make sure that is a heaped scoop. So you may have seen a staff member add a little extra with a second scoop.

Sour cream comes as standard in all our burritos, so if you ask for extra they will give you a pot for 50p.

It is hard to respond to your challenge about making a fortune, as an independent business that makes everything from scratch, we are nowhere near to making a fortune. It is clear though that you did not feel like you were receiving value for money, and this is something that we take very seriously.

We genuinely care about providing the best customer experience that we can, our customers have supported us to where we are today, without you we would have nothing. I would welcome the opportunity to hear more about your experience with us, because if something has gone wrong, we really want to fix it. My email address is abi@streetfoodchef.co.uk, please do contact me.

Reviewed 16 November 2016

Great atmosphere, non-judgemental people, you can go there for any occasion. Menu is quite expensive for what you get but the food is honestly so worth it. I recommend the chicken in tomato sauce burrito with no sour cream! Lovely place, my new favourite! Staff are very friendly, helpful and they understand that some people have no clue what Mexican food is so they help to educate without being patronising.

Hi, thanks for your 5* review, and for taking the time to post it. I'll make the staff read it, they are a fab bunch!

Reviewed 11 November 2016 via mobile

Had burritos from here a couple of times they are amazing! Regular size is humongous, would love to see a large! So tasty and filling.

Thanks for taking time to leave us a review, yes the large is big! See you again sooon!

Reviewed 6 November 2016

Love this type of food. No thrills or pretentiousness just the best Buritos in the land. Authentic atmosphere relaxed but at the same time exciting.

Thanks Jon - will share your review with others - I think you've nailed who we are and what we are about!

Reviewed 29 October 2016

This food is delicious, I went with a large beef burrito and was stuffed, such hearty food, and a great selection of local beers to partner your meal. Really relaxed vibe inside and pleasant, funny staff.

Definitely returning next time I am in Sheffield.

Thanks Jonathan, glad you enjoyed your visit. I'll make sure the team read your review!