“Nice hotel but breakfast was a shamble”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park
Ranked #16 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Stayed here end of October 2012, as I was attending a wedding reception at the hotel. Check in was quick and the staff were very friendly.

Rooms were very spacious and beds were very comfortable.
Swimming pool was decent sized but found the jacquizzi had to much chlorine in there and I ended up coughing a lot as a result.

Breakfast - luckily i walked in about 9ish and was seated. I feel they need to concentrate on the staff and train them more appropiately when serving breakfast. Food was constatly running out, queues were getting long and many people annoyed.
When waiting for about 15mins for some fried eggs, I came back to my table to see it was cleared! I then asked for new cutlery and a pot of tea which took over 45mins, and that was after I asked few other members of staff.

Even though my table was cleared in 15mins, the couple next to me left the breakfast room for over an hour and their table was not cleared. Looking at the front of the breakfast room the line was tailing back to the reception desk and people looked very very frustrated.

Staff need to learn simple people skills and being a bit polite to guests. Only a few were always smiling and happy to assist rather than the lady who was doing the refils on the breakfast who just looked miserable and when asked how long will the eggs take the same answer of "5mins" was given constantly

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,664)

Reviewed 1 November 2012 via mobile

I attended a business meeting at the Double Tree hotel.
The staff and service throughout the day was excellent and nothing was too much trouble.

When refreshing water or bringing in tea/coffee the staff were professional and polite and did not disturb the flow of the meeting.

The restaurant was quite quiet when we went but the choice of food was good.

Whilst I did not stay at the hotel overnight the cleanliness on the public areas was very good.

The only negative to this hotel would be it is not directly off the motorway and as a visitor you should factor this into your journey time.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank SarahLouJ
Reviewed 30 October 2012

What can a say! Received a very warm welcome by reception, the room was lovely and then after this it all went down hill!!! FOUR STAR THIS IS NOT!

Dinner in the restaurant on the first night was very average, and braised red cabbage turned out to be microwaved chopped up red cabbage with nothing added.
Breakfast first morning cracked cups and no teaspoons, table not cleared between courses and cooked breakfast in the room the following morning arrived 40 minutesd late, the porridge was set solid and cold and the cooked brekfast was congealed and cold and unedible. Complaints made and £3 tray charge deducted ... what a joke!
Bathroom - flannels not replaced and bedroom water not replaced also

Shan't be staying in this chain again .... expect mch better from a four star Hilton

Unhappy B.J and M.M

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 October 2012

I stayed for one night in October, on business. Check in was excellent and the cookie was much needed by that point. The room was comfortable, with a cosy feel. The bed was excellent. The bathroom was a little small, and the bathroom door had seen some action previously. The bar menu was uninspiring, so a colleague and I went into the restaurant. This was a mistake, as it took almost 2 hours for 2 courses and the main course was almost inedible. I wanted chicken, but there was nothing so mundane. My colleague ordered gammon, which turned out to be more like a thickly cut piece of bacon and about the same size as an average rasher. Whatever the 'pink' cress is that they put on everything; it smells like undergrowth and is very off-putting. As I couldn't eat my main course, the head waiter reduced the bill by taking off the drinks. Not much of a compromise when my main course was £22 and the drinks were about £8. I ordered a room service breakfast in the morning, but forgot to order a jug of milk. If memory serves, there was a 30 minute timeslot missing from the delivery schedule, which meant that I had to get up half an hour earlier than planned or I would be late for work. As I couldn't eat my breakfast anyway, it was a poor start to a very long day.

Room Tip: I had a front facing room, which picked up the noise form the A61. The windows and curtains blocked...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 October 2012

We decided to have a night in the area so we could enjoy two days in the Peak District area. Our primary reason for visiting the area was to visit Chatsworth House. However it enabled us to visit Bakewell and other local attractions.

We choose the Doubletree as it was approximately 10 miles from Chatworth and as an Hilton Honors Diamond member decided to take advantage of all the privileges this give us. The hotel is on the edge of Sheffield and could be described as a functional commuter hotel. It does not have the frills of an Hilton hotel. Rooms are nicely layer out. Bar and resturant were very good. We decided to eat at the bar as we were happy with the bar menu. We ate breakfast in the main resturant the following morning, breakfast was as you would expect but nothing more.

Overall it was an average hotel but lack atmosphere and quality. Still we where there to visit the area and this is why we choose this hotel, so on that score it worked well.

Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple