“Hotel lovely just avoid wasting money in the restaurant”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park
Ranked #16 of 53 Hotels in Sheffield
Reviewed 27 April 2012 via mobile

Overall the Hotel itself was up to 4 star quality, however let down by in house restaurant, the waiters not really up to speed on service etiquette, we were left waiting 20 mins befor taking a drinks order nearly and another 20 mIn befor finaly getting drinks (this was after a polite reminder) food was over an hour wait. Ultimately the service just ruined it for me. Complained at reception assured that this will be looked at and someone would contact me..... Still waiting hence I have decided to review accordingly I travel many hotels and it's a shame to write this as any issues could have been resolved by way of contact as promised.

• Stayed: April 2012
Steve_Whittaker, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Dear Barrysporting,

Thank you for your comments. Further to recent guest feedback we have appointed a new Restaurant Manager who will be taking charge of our fabulous restaurant taking it to a new level through team training and development.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact me .

Kind regards,

Steven

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park

Reviewed 25 April 2012

Could not fault the hotel's facilities, rooms, location and cleanliness - it's a lovely hotel in a fairly good location (about 5 miles from Sheffield city centre). My only negative was breakfast service.

We were a family of 4 (2 adults & 2 children) and had a 1-bed King suite which was a fantastic room with super king size bed in main bedroom, flat screen TV, fridge, tea/coffee making facilities, and a double sofa bed for children in separate room with table and chairs, fridge, flat screen TV. Very spacious and well equipped with good toiletries, plenty of towels etc. Only negative was we only had 2 mugs, 2 teabags and 2 sachets of sugar between 4 of us!!

Free parking and free internet access are another bonus here!

Public areas are spacious and well kept. There is also a swimming pool and leisure facilities for guests use.

Restaurant has a nice atmosphere and very light, but unfortunately, the 1st morning we had breakfast the service could have been better! There were only 2 other people in the restaurant, so it wasn't busy and we arrived 30 minutes before breakfast was due to close. There was no-one around to greet us so we had to find someone who told us we could sit anywhere, we weren't actually shown to a table. No-one came to offer us tea/coffee, so once again I had to go and find someone. I then had to ask someone if I could order a poached egg, which was no problem, but it would have been nice to have been offered the options from the beginning! A staff member then loaded a plate of hot breakfast items for herself (not a problem, I realise that they have to eat too!), but she took the last of the bacon and she obviously didn't notify the kitchen! I then requested more bacon, which was fulfilled but would have been nice for staff members to wait for guests to finish breakfast first? There were no plates for pastries and we also had to ask for bread to be replenished for toast! All in all I spent the whole breakfast time asking for things that should really have been there already! Quality of food was excellent.

Our 2nd morning at breakfast was a slightly better experience with more staff available and apart from no bread again for toast, there wasn't the replenishing issues there had been the day before!

This didn't ruin our stay, just breakfast service perhaps could have been a bit better!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Steve_Whittaker, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

Dear Tanya2407,

Thank you for taking the time to feedback, we are delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I will pass your comments regarding breakfast to the Food & Beverage Team to avoid any repetition.

If I can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Kind regards

Steven

Reviewed 17 April 2012

initial contact with the lovely and very helpful Emma when I rang up to book, reassured me that I had made the right choice for my partners birthday weekend treat. We were upgraded to executive package and couldn't fault one part of our stay. The room was beautifully clean and very modern, robes and slippers hung in the wardrobe for the spa, balloons awaited my partner in the room for his birthday and complimentary drinks with our delucious meal. We came away feeling thoroughly pampered, due to the attentiveness of staff and quality of hotel. Thank you

• Stayed: April 2012
Steve_Whittaker, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Sheffield Park, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2012

Dear Kimmy1109,

We are delighted you have had a wonderful stay and I have personally passed your feedback to Emma which made her day.

We look forward to welcoming you back next time you visit the area. Please feel free to contact us again of follow us on facebook and watch out for offers.

Regards

Steve

Reviewed 14 April 2012

Reading the Hilton website and other reviews we were expecting a good experience for our one night stay - this was not to be, Reception was not manned when we arrived at 4.30pm. There was no bell or any indication of where the receptionist might be found but when she turned up she apologised with the excuse that she had been 'dealing with the kids' (there was a large wedding on). We checked in, then the receptionist rang housekeeping to see if our room was ready - your in luck, yours is ready she said - good job we didn't arrive at 2pm as advertised as the check in time! The corridors were still littered with the contents of the rooms from the previous night.

We had paid extra for a deluxe king room. The room was small and cramped - really it was a standard room with a king size bed wedged in. There was only one easy chair and a desk chair. There was one small bottle of water and one pack of biscuits. The shower was over the bath with a curtain on a straight rail - not even curved as advertised on the website. The TV only had the freeview channels - no sky or movies as advertised. (The 'duty manager' - aged 16 &3/4 - was sent up but could not resolve the problem). The internet login showed a charge of £0.25 per minute, we thought it should be free so a call to reception was needed to confirm this, apparently the screen is out of date but they can't change it! (How hard would it be to include this information on a card in the room and save the hassle?)

The bed was very hard and despite the add on matress topper it was not the 'Sweet Dreams Experience' described on the website. All in all not a 'deluxe' experience in any way.

The room was on the road side, a few yards from the main A61. As the window did not fit properly the road noise was very intrusive. There was no sign of the 'landscaped gardens' featured on the website, we even went outside and walked around the hotel to look for them The only gardens were the shrubs dividing the parking areas.

We ate in the restaurant. Some menu items were not available (30mins after opening). When the food arrived it was not hot but just about edible. The food was certainly not worth the prices charged. Breakfast was no better. The bacon was dried out and cold. The scrambled eggs had a strange grey colour. The yoghurt was warm. The toaster did not work correctly.

The staff were all polite and pleasant. I think the problem was that they were all very young and inexperienced and lacked the leadership to overcome the problems we experienced.

Overall very disappointing and I will not rush to sign up for the HHonours loyalty scheme which they seem to be so proud of judging by the way it is promoted ad nauseam across the website and hotel.

Room Tip: Don't waste money on 'deluxe' rooms
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank J_ASouthWest

Dear J_ASouthwest,

I am very sorry your stay was not as you expected. As I am sure you have read our other reviews this is far from the norm. I would appriciate it if you could contact me directly so that I may be able to identfy the room concerned and rectify any issues.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Steve Whittaker
steve.whittaker@hilton.com

Reviewed 11 April 2012

We spent 2 nights at the hotel for a Wedding taking place in Derbyshire and chose the Doubletree based on the previous reviews on here. Check in was quick and efficient and we were given cookies, which were fabulous! We'd requested a room away from the main hotel so it would be quieter and this was honoured. Brilliant room, very comfortable and the pool area was great. The changing rooms were tiny but it didn't matter as we just went back up to the room to shower.

Breakfast is very good here - lots of choice and lovely surroundings. I'd highly recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a good quality service and hotel in a great location.

Room Tip: The ones away from the main hotel area are quieter, as there's a lot of functions on.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple