“Lovely Food....”

Cuisines: European
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 4 October 2017

I must admit that the food was cooked to perfection even if it was a little slow at coming out. Staff were friendly & prices were good. Was a little noisy at times with the bar being right next to the restaraunt..

Reviewed 3 October 2017 via mobile

Was given a Groupon voucher for a 2 for 1, visited on a Saturday evening and very quiet.
Staff attentative enough and made to feel welcome, drinks ok and warm bread rolls was nice, but that is where it ended.
We both had duck scotch egg starters, this was 1/2 a chilled scotch egg each that could have been from a local supermarket..
Mains was a chicken burger and a blue cheese burger unfortunately both was over cooked and tough AND the goose fat chips looked like frozen chips soaked in fat.
Didn't bother with a desert.
Yes the meal was a freebie but I certainly do not recommend the food here.
2 out of 5 and that's for the staff.

Reviewed 1 October 2017 via mobile

We had a Wowcher voucher for 2 courses for 2 for £19.95. The deal was great value as the cheapest main alone was around £14.95.

For starters we had the duck scotch egg and ham hock terrine. The scotch egg was OK but not amazing and there wasn't enough of it. The ham hock terrine was delicious and comes with a lovely sauce which complements it well.

For mains we had salmon wrapped in Parma ham and the Yorkshire meatball. The salmon was bland and needed way more seasoning or a more flavoursome sauce. The meatball was delicious and had been seasoned well. It came with a red onion gravy which complemented it wonderfully.

The service was mediocre. We were pressed to order drinks the moment we sat down and we weren't given a drinks menu until I asked for one. When we had ordered drinks, the waitress knocked mine over right onto my lap. I appreciate that accidents happen and we weren't charged for the drink, however, I wasn't offered another drink to accompany my meal. There was a long wait between the 2 courses with no explanation or apology.

Overall, it probably is worth checking out if you have the Wowcher deal but I wouldn't be in a hurry to go back or to pay full price.

Reviewed 24 September 2017

The food was mostly very good at breakfast and at dinner. The fish and chips were just excellent. I wasn't too keen on the smoked turkey the other day however.

Reviewed 11 September 2017

We visited the 1855 Restaurant firstly in July for my Birthday and had the worst experience ever both with service and the food. We were booked in for 7.30pm and were shown to our seats in a rather quiet restaurant, with no offer of a drinks menu until l asked, no offer of a wine menu and very large gaps between service. I also had to go to the bar to get top ups as we were waiting so long between courses. I also had to ask the waitress to clear a table that had been vacated an hour previously. The starters and my main were excellent however my fiancee's Spinach and Ricotta Tortellini was luke warm and was sent back. All in all we were in the restaurant for 2.5 hours. As she still hadn't received a replacement we left after speaking to the Duty Manager.

We ended up getting a second meal there free, however this time there was still a major issue with service. We again weren't offered a wine menu at all, we were not offered bread at all with our starters, mine was a Chowder, my fiancées was a fish dish. We had to ask for steak knives as the knives we were given to eat Rump of Lamb and steak were table knives without a serrated edge. We had to ask for a sweet menu and when we received our cheese boards, neither resembled each other. The food we had was good ( thanks chef's)however l won't be recommending or going to the restaurant again, possibly the worst, unprofessional service l have ever experienced in a hotel anywhere. I did recommend to the Manager that an experienced Maitre D' might help the service be more fluent, however it must have fallen on deaf ears.