“Name is appropriate, as sleep is all you'll do.”
Review of Sleep Sheffield

Sleep Sheffield
Ranked #24 of 32 Sheffield B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 December 2011

It's hard to review this hotel as a 'hotel', as it's actually more like a bed and breakfast - without the breakfast. I booked through Late Rooms.com, as I needed a cheap place to stay overnight after my work Christmas party. A few of my colleagues, on hearing where I'd booked, looked positively aghast at my choice of venue, although I suspect some of this was just banter.
Saying that though, Sleep Hotel is definitely not the Ritz. But it doesn't claim to be either - above its entrance clearly hangs a two star rating.
I'd agree with others who've reviewed on here in that it's novel when it comes to check-in. You're emailed/texted a door code for the side entrance, along with your room number. Also, and this was a nice touch, a staff member phoned me on the day to confirm I had the check in code.
If you're walking from the city centre, it's a steep walk by the Cathedral (well, downhill on the way there!) to Sleep Hotel (obviously I'm not criticising the hotel for that). On arrival (I turned up just before 6pm on a Friday) I entered through the inconspicuous gate/door, walked to the entrance and entered the PIN. Door was a bit sticky (I found this with most doors in the hotel - a can of oil wouldn't hurt in places).
The first impression was just unusual, not unpleasant. The building was formerly a snug little back street pub, so everything is, let's say 'compact'. There IS a reception area as you enter, complete with desk and seating area, but sans staff! It's clean and smells strongly of beeswax furniture polish in that area.
Then it's tight stairwells with low doors/ceilings up to the floors where the rooms are. To be honest, it was tidy everywhere. Slightly like someone had turned their house into a youth hostel. I had a single room, which consisted of a bed, a wardrobe, mirror, towel, tea/coffee and kettle. My door key was on the bed, next to the towel. I'd read a review that slated amenities and said towels were damp. I'd disagree strongly. Everything was clean and dry. The room was also very warm. This is December and I opened the window on waking, as I was too warm.
Maybe I was just sleeping awkwardly, in a Princess and the Pea kind of way, but I found the bed in my room seemed to balloon upwardly in the centre. I switched position and put my head at the end of the bed and I felt OK.
The bedding smelled clean, although the pillows weren't the most comfortable. Also, the bedding consists of duvets on a bedspread, which, whilst homely, immediately made me question whether they are washed and changed as frequently as regular hotel bed linen. I'm sure they are, but I imagine this must be a hassle for the staff?
The hotel has free wi-fi, which was intermittent on my floor. This WAS the top floor and I noticed on my departure that the service is merely a wireless router under the stairs on the bottom floor, so reception will always be hindered.
The room I had, shared a bathroom with others on the same landing. I didn't actually use this, but I used the separate WC. The toilet was a bit pokey and basic with Tesco handwash, but, again, it was clean and provided the basics a toilet needs to provide. Although the taps were loose on the sink!
I'd imagined, when I checked in, that it would be a noisy place, as the floors are a bit creaky and I could hear doors slamming, but in fact, I slept like a baby and I didn't see a single other person during the whole stay (unusual for a hotel!)
Checking out is basically a case of just leaving the hotel! In the 'reception area' there is a staircase door which is locked and has a letterbox where the customer posts their key.
I'd be interested to see when and if this hotel ever has staff on site or a bar etc.
I certainly don't feel ripped off and I had a comfortable night's sleep, although most room photos online seem to show spacious double rooms. If all the single rooms are of the size I had, then they are basically box-like.
Another slightly bizarre thing is the TV reception. The Sleep Hotel must be the only place in Yorkshire which manages to receive Freeview Digital TV with a snowy and poor reception! I didn't think that was possible. I'm guessing it might be down to the topography of the area. One tiny grumble, and this is my only true grumble, with no reception, there is no means of leaving your key behind for security. I was constantly fearful on my evening out that I would lose the key and be stranded, or phoning the landlord in the middle of the night!
Summing up, I'd say it's a two-star hotel, which is worthy of that rating, but would struggle to improve it. I can't actually knock the place though. It is called 'SLEEP', that's what I did and that's what it's designed for! I don't think it really deserves some of the ropey reviews I've seen. It's clearly a family-run enterprise and its price, considering proximity to the city centre, can't be sniffed at!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Gavin P
There are newer reviews for Sleep Sheffield

Reviewed 24 November 2011

It's the first time I've been to a hotel where I had to check myself in and out, but all the instructions were so simple. If I ever needed any help I knew how to contact and I am convinced I would not have been left in a predicament. I liked the feeling of independence.

The room was lovely and in a fantastic location (10 min walk from the 02 academy)

Would absolutely use again!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dean M
Reviewed 2 November 2011

As a women travelling alone i was a bit worried after reading reviews about the safety of this hotel. I had no need to worry whatsoever. I booked over the phone with Sharon who i found lovely and very happy to give me plenty of information on Sheffield as i had never been there before. She told me to ring if i had any problems and she would be straight down. I liked the idea of booking myself in and out its a good idea. I am very ocd with cleanliness so was a bit worried that i was sharing a bathroom, again i had no need to worry it was spotless every day and would not of known anyone else had been in there. It was the same with my room, i stayed at the hotel for five days as i was on a course from work, it was cleaned everyday ,tea coffee milk sugar were always in my room. I would come back to this hotel if i ever came back to Sheffield, fantastic value for money and a safe place for a women on her own.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank michelle c
Reviewed 2 November 2011

If you want good value in a good location then this hotel is excellent.
Rooms are well decorated, Very clean and spacious. shared bathrooms were cleaned daily and spotless. This hotel is in a fantastic location only a few mins from city centre. I would recomend this hotel and will be staying there again on my next visit to Sheffield.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jay N
Reviewed 28 October 2011

We stayed for one night and found the accomodation to be basic but clean. It was comfortable with a kettle and tea/coffee and a television. Would stay there again as it was just somewhere to sleep. I found it easy to book over the telephone and Sharon who I dealt with was very nice. I found the concept of booking yourself in/out a good idea.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple