Open today: 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
Review Highlights
Small, but interesting, behind the big blue business building

Good for a rainy hour. Lots of skeletons, dissected animals, fossils. Could be interesting for... read more

Reviewed 25 August 2017
bfanett
Reading, United Kingdom
a small but educating museum

This museum is part of University of Reading, Berkshire. It is small, yet it is informative. In... read more

Reviewed 27 June 2017
Filmonica
Muscat, Oman

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 21 August 2016 via mobile

Firstly the university is a stunning place. After we found the details online we decided to go and have a look as my young lad loves museums. Especially fossils and skeletons showing animals etc.

This didn't disappoint at all. Don't get me wrong, it's not like it's a huge museum but what it's missing in real estate, it makes up in content.

There is plenty to see and learn and for a short afternoon visit we all learned something. We seen plenty of interesting, preserved species fro
Sharks, jellyfish and even the common urchin. The one I liked was the skeleton of the elephant and the gorilla. Very interesting facts and all the items are clearly labelled with excellent information about them easily sourced. A +.

Date of experience: August 2016
Reviewed 31 May 2016

I had seen The Cole Museum mentioned on TripAdvisor and decided to take a closer look.
I checked the website for opening times and directions. The good news was that the museum was free and open most days. Directions were provided only to the Whiteknights campus. A small map was available.
On arriving at the University Campus, there are no signposts to the museum. It is important to look for the Animal and Microbial Sciences (AMS) building otherwise you will struggle to find the museum.
As my visit was spontaneous, I did not expect to meet any staff and no one was around during my stay. For families, I would recommend calling the museum in advance, in order to get a staff member to help show you the museum. A museum can come in many forms. This is quite a small, relatively old-fashioned one (lots of preserved specimens, not very interactive) possibly better described just as a collection or exhibition. The specimens are well illuminated and seemed to be in good condition,(It is worth noting the age of the samples). The legends for each display case were small and hard to read. There are numbers on the cases to guide your visit but the layout is confusing. A touchscreen based "virtual tour" was available. If this had been placed nearer the entrance, it would have been more helpful.
A definite highlight is the complete skeletons of the elephant and python.
Overall, interesting but limited. If you like animals and find yourself with free time while at the campus, it is worth dropping in. If taking children, definitely contact the staff ahead of time.

Date of experience: May 2016
1  Thank WeeBrother
Reviewed 22 April 2016

Went to Reading with my son to visit, but unfortunately we found that the museum, as well as all the other facilities on the campus were closed. This was quite a disappointment for us, particularly as I had been looking forward to visiting Reading University Campus again after 25 years. (Went to the Natural History Museum in London instead - which is free as well).

Date of experience: March 2016
Reviewed 20 February 2016 via mobile

Usually we head off to town on a day out manic and costly....
We had a great time yesterday, my daughter loves animals. Lots of things to see and do and we also visited Greek museum too made a day of it x walked the uni grounds had a picnic ☺

Date of experience: February 2016
1  Thank lcycts
Reviewed 31 January 2016

A hidden gem! If you are a student or a Reading local make sure you give the museum a visit. Its free too!

Date of experience: February 2015