All reviews bath road beefeater restaurant small hotel comfortable lounge breakfast room is off road parking power shower single room trouser press lovely hotel ample parking the ground floor full english bus stop breakfast was excellent english breakfast home from home
Reviewed 28 February 2016 via mobile

This hotel has very good reviews but would NOT be my choice as a lady on her own
Set out of town it is a pleasing Victorian property with a nice garden BUT you need to ring a bell to enter where a man greets you and you sign in. I immediately felt uncomfortable. Room 3 on ground floor was boiling and smelt of fresh paint necessitating open windows all night- cold then. No restaurant so a walk across a busy main road to a Beefeater.
In the morning to here was the same man ready to help me from my room and he then hovered over breakfast . The waitress could not speak English. Breakfast was ok. The cost was £95!
All single business men were at breakfast and that is a suitable customer
Not for me.
Bedrooms well appointed though

1  Thank Susy H
Reviewed 25 February 2016

Booking good, friendly welcome. Good sized and well equipped and very clean and warm bedroom with very good wifi for husbands work emails. Very large and well equipped bathroom, with a brilliant power shower. Good choice for breakfast and very tasty. All staff very friendly and attentive. We would definitely stay again if in the area.

Room tip: Room 10 is very quiet at the back of the hotel overlooking the garden.
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Reviewed 8 February 2016

very dated hotel with key lock doors that dont work all the time so you keep having to get someone to open your door, he showed me how to fix and let me say i was horrified that he got into my room with just a butter knife... 0% security. Wanted to upgrade from a single to double for a night and even though few doubles available wouldnt charge upgrade rate just a whole new room rate ontop and no refund for room purchased already. Not a great location as the roads outside are grilock in the morning and a very long walk into town.

Room tip: Go to another hotel rooms where very 90s
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
beechhousereading, General Manager at Beech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 February 2016

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking time and writing "your" review about your recent stay with us. I am sorry to hear that we did not meet your expectations. As you must be aware that we never classify ourselves as a modern luxury hotel from the 90's . We are proud to be a traditional hotel where we do our utmost to make our guests comfortable and meet their expectations.

In your instance we were unable to upgrade you to a double room only as you did not specify or mentioned at all that you will have company on your last night whilst having a booking for a single room for your entire stay, we would have only charged the difference of a double room if we would have given some kind of notice i.e. the same morning or a night before at-least., as this enable us to resell that room. We only find out when you arrived with your accompanied guest and were proceeding to your room after 8:00 pm and hence were explained that single rooms are only for single occupants and we do need to know number of persons in each room to follow the fire laws in case if the evacuation is required.

And as far as the security is concern, we do have Electronic Locks on every door , key cards kept near the mobile phones do misbehave sometimes as they loose the magnetic reading, which happened in your case on the second night only. What you refer to a butter knife is an object to reset the lock once it is accessed by the specific tools and re-swiped by a master reset key.

As far as the traffic is concerned in Reading, it is a busy town and yes i do agree it does get very busy in the morning like any other major towns nowadays! I wish i can do something about it.

Should you like to book a Double Room for your next visit in Reading, please do get in touch and i shall try my best to change your opinion about the Beech House Hotel.

Regards

Management
Beech House Hotel.

Reviewed 5 February 2016 via mobile

This hotel was booked by the company that I work for so I had no idea what expect. On arrival I was greeted by a very polite gentleman who booked me in quickly and showed me to my room.

I was in room 8 on the ground floor which had obviously been recently redecorated due to the (inoffensive) smell of paint. The room contained a double bed, desk, tv, a bedside table and a small built in wardrobe.

I was surprised that the bed was made with blankets and not a duvet but it was plenty warm enough for me. The only downside was that the mattress wasn't very comfy but I put that down to personal preference. Everyone is different after all!

The shower room was a very generous size compared to other hotels I have stayed in. It was also impeccably clean.

I couldn't fault the breakfast. Continental was offered from about 6.40am and cooked breakfast was served from 7am. The lady serving breakfast was very polite and attentive. The kitchen staff even wrapped my colleagues breakfast up for him so that he could eat it at work.

All-in-all I was very impressed with the hotel. I would most definitely stay here again when I work in Reading again.

Trip type: Travelled on business
beechhousereading, Manager at Beech House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 February 2016

Dear Carmen,

Thank you for your time and the excellent comments you have made, on your next visit, we shall try to offer you choice of beds prior to check-in so you can select your preferred type of Mattress, provided we have rooms available at the time of check-in. The other option would be if you could email us your preference i.e. soft, medium etc we will put in the notes with your history and it will be taken care of.

Thank you once again.

Regards

Reviewed 17 December 2015 via mobile

I normally I stay in the Penta but it was full and so I looked elsewhere. I ended up booking the holiday inn which I really didn't want to do but it seemed like my only option. I had a quick look on trip advisor and saw that this hotel had good reviews so cancelled the holiday inn and booked Beech House. They are very friendly and welcoming and the breakfast was good. I had the room at the top of the first flight of stairs which was ok but I would ask for a different one when I stay again. The Beech House will now be my first choice when I stay in Reading.

Date of stay: December 2015

Dear Ant W,

Thank you for your kind reviews, we do appreciate your feedback and we shall look forward to welcoming you to the Beech House Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards