“Better places to stay”

GreenLeadersGold level
Reading, United Kingdom
“Better places to stay”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 February 2012

I have lived here for a few months as I relocated from Germany to England and for a quick stay this hotel is tolerable. I have stayed in better and worse places.

The frustration comes from a stay more than 5 days, and the challenges and headaches come from relying on Hotel services. The staff are friendly without a doubt and there are few faces that brighten your day, but the management is useless. I know that may seem harsh, but the staff can only apologize so many times. The front desk clerks, restaurant staff, and general staff are warm and friendly and are nice to interact with after a long day in the office.

I have routinely stayed long term with hotels for the better part of the last 12 years and I must say, this is the most difficult of places to deal with. Let me recap a few points that may make you think twice about your longer term stays.

Don't expect to be taken anywhere near Reading City Center after 7am and before 11am, as the hotel taxis are not allowed to venture into these areas. Since I am working in this area, I routinely have to walk, wind, rain and snow to where I need to be. I have talked to the managers several times about having some of the Reading black cabs on standby in the event they are needed by guests and I was told I could go get the numbers myself. Disappointing, as I thought I was the guest.

Another problem is the hotel laundry, as I need to carry a bottle of Febreze with me due to my clothes smelling of smoke. I actually complained about this once, and it just so happened another gentlemen was complaining about the same thing, so I am not crazy. They are quick to pick up the laundry and return it same day, but don't expect it be as clean as what you do at home. I have got around stains remaining in my shirts or pants by treating them before I have the laundry picked up. This helps, but is not perfect. As i am a long term resident, you would think, they would replace laundry bags and sheets once I've sent my laundry out....well again, this is a "no" as I usually have to ask for them.

Room service, well this is difficult, as the young lady who took care of my requests stepped away for training. Now, sometimes I feel the only way my meal will arrive as ordered, is if I send a written request, and oh how I hope to receive all the needed items to eat my meal. There are a couple of exceptions to this rule, but as mentioned earlier, there are some that brighten the day, and a few reside here as well.

If you like the rooms cold at night so you can wrap yourself into blankets and sleep well, you again will be disappointed. I've complained several times that the heating and cooling in the room do not work correctly. You will go to bed, cozy and relaxed, only to wake up once or twice during the night to turn the heat off as you are now laying in a puddle of sweat. It seems that it shuts itself off sometime between midnight and 5am. As I mentioned earlier, I've complained about this several times, but i still have this problem. They have not even offered the courtesy of changing rooms.

I ask myself why I continue to use this service knowing how bad it is, but the convenience outweighs the problems. I have learned to work around their deficiencies by using febreze or stain lifters for the clothes. I keep additional condiments, salt & pepper, and silverware in the event they will leave this off the tray. I pick up a hotel cab before 6:30am every morning so I don't have to walk as far. I could change hotels, but I enjoy the western style accommodations. This is also a preferred hotel by my company, but I'm trying to get that reconsidered.

I don't normally complain about the service, as it is usually taken care of when I mention it to the staff, but this hotel seems to be different. I was advised by one of the staff to add my review to this sight as we were discussing the heating and cooling problem in the room not being resolved.

I guess it is bad, when a companies own employees are advising you to add reviews because this is the only way a guest will be taken serious.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank bobcat8400
Kevin_Byrnes, Director of Operations at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us at the Hilton Reading on Tripadvisor.co.uk. It is our aim to ensure our guests experience professional and personalised service throughout their stay however long you are with us.
I am disappointed to read the comments regarding the consistency of service within the hotel and the fact that your feel my management team are not as receptive to your suggestions and comments as they should be.
At the Hilton Reading we work with premium car and laundry service providers to ensure our guest experiences are consistent and requirements are met. I do apologise that Reading Borough Council has restricted access to certain parts of the town centre at certain times, to all but black cabs and so no car service can gain access, though they provide hundreds of cars weekly to our guests and are deemed the best in the area for service and reliability. I apologise also that our laundry company has not provided a consistent service and we will be raising this with them directly regarding your laundry.
I am sorry to see that our the air conditioning unit in your room seems to not have been maintained as it should, the system does not shut off over night and so should maintain the temperature as it does in our other rooms throughout.
I hope this clarifies some of your concerns for you and I would be delighted to meet with you personally to discuss the matters raised, please do not hesitate to contact me directly and we can arrange a meeting to rectify these issues for the remainder of your stay.

Yours Sincerely,
Director of Operations

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Arabic first
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 January 2012

Not sure how old the Hilton is in Reading, but everything looks new. I am still here while I am writing this but so far the front desk staff have been very friendly and helpful. Had lunch at the bar yesterday and it was good. Depending on your needs it is a bit out of the way, but there is a bus stop directly outside that will take you to the city for a pound or two. The only thing I don't like is the bed. It is quite hard and uncomfortable; although somewhat standard for a European bed; it is not the typcial Hilton bed.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank lakrav
Kevin_Byrnes, Director of Operations at Hilton Reading, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Dear Reviewer,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your recent stay with us here at the Hilton Reading on Tripadvisor. Your remarks about the Hotel and the staff are appreciated. Our commitment at the Hilton Reading is to provide the finest in service and personal attention to everyone who stays with us, and it is helpful when our guests pass their opinions and experiences to us, allowing us to refine our procedures and services where necessary.

I am delighted to see you had a lovely stay with us. However, I was disappointed to read your comments regarding your bed being hard and uncomfortable, our Housekeeping Manager has been made aware and will ensure this is looked into.

Gravesend
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 January 2012

My Wife & I booked a weekend break at the Hilton Reading and had a lovely time. The hotel looks brand new, rooms were classy and well equipped. We upgraded the room to a deluxe on arrival for £15 per night which was not really worth it as the standard room was exactly the same just we had bath robes & slippers of dubious quality (we could of brought our own for that money and kept them). The facilities at the hotel were also very good, access to the gym, swimming pool and sauna were all included in the price. Breakfast was a buffett with hot & cold food and plenty to eat whilst reading your free paper. The hotel is very well located just a short bus ride from the town centre which stops right outside the hotel, the only downside it stops at 7pm on weekends so a cab is needed for the ride back about £7-£8 it is also really close to the Madjeski Stadium and walking distance to a supermarket and retail park. The only downside is the expense of food and drink at the hotel eg Sandwich £10 glass of wine £8 but it is of good quality so eat out if you can be bothered. overall very good value.

Room Tip: Don't bother upgrading to Deluxe the cost is not worth it standard rooms are very good.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Takashichamp
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see that you overall you had a lovely stay with us. Your comments regarding the prices of food and drinks in the hotel has been noted and although we match our prices with our sister hotels, this is something we will endeavour to look into at our next pricing meeting.

Essex
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2012

Stayed in a couple of Hilton hotels, and this is by far the best. I stayed just the one night. Its fairly new, so rooms are well presented, comfortable, good shower. Breakfast was fairly good for a buffet, nice coffee.
Staff were all very professional and friendly. All in all very good. Its location is out of town though, so if you want to go out for dinner etc, then its a drive/cab.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see so many aspects of our service and product impressed so much. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hilton Reading on your next stay in the Berkshire area.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

We had a lovely over night stay at the hotel.
As mentioned in a previous review the Hotel is fairly new so rooms and restaurant are in excellent condition.
I used the gym, swimming pool, and sauna which were all clean and to a high standard.
My only complaint was when we went to order dinner in-room, both my first and second choice of meals had already run out...... considering it was only 7pm I was very disappointed.
However, I would like to say a big thank you to housekeeping for forwarding on an item left in the room. I phoned when we got home and received the items the following day! Brilliant customer service! :)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Reviewer,

I am delighted to see so many aspects of our service and product impressed so much. However, your comments regarding your in-room menu choices being not available, has been passed onto our Head Chef whom will make sure this does not happen in the future.