“Pre Theatre visit”

Ranked #181 of 739 Restaurants in Oxford
Price range: USD 16 - USD 39
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Browns Oxford, set near the centre of ‘that sweet city with her dreaming spires’, was the second branch of Browns to open. It has become a landmark in the city, an institution not quite as ancient as the university’s world-famous colleges, but one which has nonetheless stood the test of time.For many years the building was a Morris garage, which we converted into one of the first of its kind: an English brasserie. And the scene out of the windows is also pure England: across the road is the church of St Giles, the church hall and a characterful terrace of 18th century houses. But we’re also just a 5 minute walk away from the busy centre of the city.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

I absolutely love Browns but on this occasion they aided what looked like a dog treat to my pie (marrow bone). In fact I took it home for the dog. In my opinion it looked dreadful and this did put me off a bit; it was not necessary in my view.

1  Thank Andrea D
General Manager A, Manager at Browns Brasserie & Bar Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Dear Andrea D, we regret to hear that your last visit only get us a 3* rating even if you usually love us. The marrow bone in the pie is one of the change from the new spring menu and has received good feebacks until now. I am sorry that it did not meet your expectations. On another side I hope your dog enjoyed it ;)
Thank you for your time and your valuable feedback.

Team Browns Oxford

Write a ReviewReviews (1,259)

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

Visited Easter Monday early evening - not too busy. Greeted pleasantly by a waitress and shown to our table. Decor looking decidedly shabby, lots of marks to the woodwork on the walls where chairs had rubbed. Menu not particularly inspiring. Ordered duck liver pate to start which was ok but rather bizarrely served with brioche instead of sourdough bread - brioche was stated on the menu, it's the wrong choice though as it's very dry and could have done with some butter. Followed that with the Browns burger which was tasty, but the bun (brioche again!) had so much filling it was rather overwhelmed and hard to eat. The fries weren't great, the chunky chips that another of our party had were much better. On that performance I decided against dessert. The service was poor - no interaction, plates and cutlery passed across diners instead of set at the side, never asked if we'd enjoyed our meal or not. Browns have this awful policy of adding 10% service charge. It is discretionary but I bet that most people pay up. It takes away the incentive for decent service, at least it did on this occasion. I really can't think of any reason to return here, so I won't. Oh yes, the toilets were dirty too - tired, cobwebs on the ceiling that I refuse to believe had appeared during the day. There were some scruffy notices on a couple of the doors. The whole place just smacked of laziness. Will eat elsewhere in future and I recommend that you do too.

2  Thank gsdsxm
General Manager A, Manager at Browns Brasserie & Bar Oxford, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2018

Dear Gsdsxm, we appreciate your honest feedback as we are always looking for ways to improve and we are disappointed to hear that you did not have a more positive experience with us.

We are sorry that the brioche was not your favorite option for the duck parfait and the burger. It was clearly too much of it for your taste. Fries and chunky chips are a complicated battle as they are very diferent and the preference again differs from one person to another. I can only regret that you did not mention it on the day and we would have hapily given you a portion of the chunky ones if you liked them more.

No excuses for the poor service as it is not what we strive for. I will have a chat with the team members working that day.

Regarding the 10% service, it is optional and it did create a better team work since it has been put in place as the team now work together for the hapiness of our guests instead of having waiters only thinking about their own money while the rest of the team would not get a share of their hard work too and I am sorry this did not reflect on the service you were given.

Also I have to admit that our toilets are indeed very tired and look dirty but they are cleaned profesionaly every morning and checked during the day by us. They should soon not be a problem anymore as they are getting refurbished and the work starts in just a few days.

We are sorry to read that you will not be back but we hope that maybe one day you will give us a chance again and we will manage to get your trust back.

Reviewed 4 April 2018 via mobile

We had a great meal..... well ya adults did. The Kids pasta was pathetic, over cooked and without flavour. These the diners of the future and when my one shout ‘Chinese’ dad. I can see why!

These kids meals aren’t free and ain’t cheap so take notice and buck up your ideas.

Dear Jppknight, thank you for taking the time to let us know about your recent experience.

We are disappointed to hear that you are not fully satisfied with your visit. It was not all bad but we are very sorry you felt that way about the kids pasta. We will pass your comment to the food development team for them to have a look into this issue.

Kids satisfaction is also very important to us and they should have enjoyed their meal too.

We wish you could have raise this issue to us on the day and we would have tried our very best to make things right.

We hope to see you again and to please the whole party next time.

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Late Sunday lunch - Browns is a big restaurant with many tables, so we were able to get a table without any reservation.

Seemed like fairly standard Browns decor and menu, although there was a Roast Beef special Sunday lunch on offer.

Food was good but not spectacular. Fish Pie and Chicken schnitzel entrees were the best of our selections. Lamb croquettes and crab appetizer were a bit lackluster.

Staff seemed a bit tired and lacking enthusiasm - perhaps after a busy long weekend.

All in all not bad, but there are lots of other restaurants in the area which will keep Browns on its toes!

2  Thank Mark C

Dear Mark C, we appreciate your honest feedback, as we are always looking for ways to improve. Thank you for letting us know about your recent visit.

We are disappointed to hear it was not the best experience we should have provided you with.

On the positive note the fish pie and the chicken schnitzel are indeed really yummy and popular but we are sorry you didn’t feel the same way about your starters.

We are also sorry you felt our staff was tired and lacking of enthusiasm, they are not usually that way and cannot find any excuse for them to come across to our guests this way.

We hope you will be back soon and hopefully make you fully enjoy your next visit.

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

We had a long leisurely lunch over the Mother’s Day weekend, and enjoyed every minute. A classic menu of gourmet pub favorites, the roast dinners were popular with our party along with the tasty salads. A great wine list too, including a beautiful Royal Tokaji dessert wine. Next time we’re in Oxford, we’ll definitely be back.

Dear Andy T, thank you for your kind words. We appreciate your positive review about your recent experience with us and we are glad to see that you had such a good time. We are looking forward to your next visit.