3,336 results
All reviewsconverted prisoncell roomsroll top bathunique hotelcell blockexercise yardoriginal cellssuperior cellsunday stopovermain prisonpizza expressporridgebirthday treatcontinental breakfastcar parkingcity centrefull english
Reviewed 18 August 2018 via mobile

Very good food, nice ambience and very friendly waitress. To repeat soon. A good place for a dinner with friends, family or a special night with your special one. I didn’t stay in the hotel but I’m curious, maybe next time.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled with family
Antonio S, Manager at Malmaison Oxford Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2018

Dear Ana M,

Thank you very much for your review.

We are very happy to see that you enjoyed your dinner with us in the Brasserie, and I will share your kind words with the team.

We hope to welcome you back again soon, and maybe for an overnight stay too.

Reviewed 16 August 2018

We went for dinner at the Chez Mal and were very excited but have to say we were under whelmed as the night unfolded. We arrived and we well received but the service was slow and often we felt unattended by our waitress. We felt a bit neglected at times and often had to ask for most things. The meal was ok but overall the evening lacked the sparkle we had expected. To end it all we waited 35 minutes for a taxi to arrive on a slow night in Oxford. At first we thought it was the taxi company but on questioning the driver it may have been poor comes by the hotel. All in all no real complaints but not a memorable experience

Stayed: August 2018

Dear Geordieboy54,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am sorry to hear that your dinner with us did not meet the high standards on which we pride ourselves, and I will be sure to share your feedback with the team to work on the points which you have mentioned.

Reviewed 14 August 2018

After staying in one of malmasion sister hotels, we had high expectations, but unfortunately they weren’t met, this hotel is set in a fabulous location and very quirky, but very dark and I’d even say creepy, I think the most shocking thing about our stay was the price of parking £28.00 for us to park and yet we were staying in the hotel!
Our room was average ( we didn’t get put in the cells, which was very disappointing as you come to stay here to experience that!) with a big step as you walk in and a tiny sign on the front of the door saying “mind the step”, I nearly broke my ankle on the way in and my husband tripped over it during the night and ended up on the floor!
Would I stay here again ? Probably not! Their sister company is much better and make you feel special whereas here we didn’t feel special at all and it was a treat for my birthday!
Reception area to busy and crowded and lady on reception was quite rude, on checking out we questioned our bill because we’d been charged for breakfast which we didn’t have and two cocktails were also added to our bill! So make sure you check your bill before you pay.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Emma R,

Thank you very much for your review.

I am sorry that you left feeling disappointed with your stay. We have many different room categories, some of which are original cell rooms and some of which are in newer parts of the buildings, and these are explained on our website. I can see that the room which you stayed in was actually in the Governor's House Wing of the building, where Prison Wardens lived when the hotel was a prison.

Reviewed 13 August 2018 via mobile

This hotel is perfectly located very near Oxford University, shopping and restaurants. Our room was an old prison cell with a stone outer wall. The former prison look with updates to make it functional were a perfect blend. It’s a very sexy hotel so l wouldn’t bring kids. That just ruins it it for everyone else. The staff was very accommodating. Only two small negatives. The room was very small and pulling in to park is very confusing with no one outside to guide you where to go.

Stayed: August 2018, travelled as a couple

Dear Ralph B,

Thank you very much for your review.

It is lovely to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, and also exploring the beautiful city of Oxford.

We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2018

Gorgeous place - stunning conversation of an old prison, and room (2 cells knocked through) was amazing, with great attention to detail such as the tally mark design on carpets and cushions, and locker as a wine store etc.

Unfortunately nights I stayed were two of hottest this year, and with no air conditioning it was pretty hot. A fan was provided, but as it was noisy and circulated hot air I ended up switching it off.

That said, stay was pleasant and hotel is conveniently located to get into Oxford centre, plus attached bars are lovely.

Do think it is on the high end of what I would pay for a hotel, but guess this is Oxford and you are paying for the experience also.

Stayed: July 2018, travelled on business

Dear Esselsie,

Thank you very much for your review.

We are pleased that you enjoyed the experience of staying in the converted prison, and I would like to apologise for the temperature of the room.