1,403 results
All reviews four pillars room restaurant lovely hotel sister hotel sauna and steam room leisure centre leisure club secret escapes spa facilities weekend break deluxe room relaxing stay buffet style reception area lovely room park and ride stayed for one night
Reviewed 4 January 2017

We stayed at this hotel for three nights over the New Years break.
The reception area is a period building and in the centre was a tastefully decorated Christmas tree.

Our room was a garden view room with a nice theme. The decor was tasteful and modern but in keeping with the hotels age and style. Bathroom is basic but had a nice shower head. The hotel provides you with two white robes but they were both stiff and scratchy so we didn't wear them.

The first night we were there 29th there was a wedding which occupied the main part of the hotel during the 'Afternoon tea' which was included in our package. Sadly the 'afternoon tea' they put on was less like that of a 4 star hotel and more like the afternoon tea at a care home. Three tables with four chairs around them were set up along side a trestle table which had a few cream filled sweet pastries on plates with tea and coffee in large press-to-dispense self serve vats and no staff. Very unimpressed indeed so with no where to sit we retreated back to our room.

Later that evening we attended the River Room restaurant for dinner. The room is as you'd expect in perhaps a 3 star hotel but with very odd choices in lighting and festive decor. There were poorly printed laminated table numbers made on Microsoft Word stuck on each table along side glass cylinders filled with baubles and lots of dead fairy lights with two big black battery packs stuffed in with them.
A permanent feature of they restaurant are the bright purple pink and green up lights shining up sections of the wall like in a cheap indian restaurant. Our hearts sank. This is not what we signed up for.

The waiting staff are nice people but poorly trained. They push between guests chairs to get by and aren't very polite or attentive. The restaurant manager is brash and lacks discretion. To our surprise and delight the ambiance and decor was nothing like the food. The food was delicious, both well prepared and presented.

The next day we went to the pool and gym. Both are very small so felt quite busy though i imagine during the rest of the year the hotel probably isn't quite so full so wouldn't be an issue. The pool, gym and changing areas were clean and in full working order and the dark haired lady working there was friendly and helpful.

We then went to breakfast which is a basic self serve full english buffet with some cold 'continental' stuff such as melon, yogurt, pastries and basic sliced cheddar.
We were still wet from the gym so asked if we could take our breakfast up to the room after self-serving. The lady simply said 'No, because then it would be room service'. We didn't understand how serving yourself breakfast and then taking it away yourself to your room is room service but as we were both taken a back by such a rude unhelpful response we just helped ourselves (during which time a kitchen staff member pushed past me with no apology as i was helping myself to some bread) ate and left.

New Years Eve was a black tie 'gala'. Champagne and canapés followed by a sit down dinner FOLLOWED BY by a party and dancing.
We arrived to the reception for the champagne and canapés. We were ticked off a clip board (bit weird) and handed two drinks. We took a seat and canapés came around - though only once sadly. When my husband went back to the table of drinks to get another the lady with the clipboard said 'Only one drink per guest'. Ridiculous. We have spent NYE in many 4* and 5* hotels around the world and never once have we had a one-drink-per-guest policy applied to us at the champagne and canapés reception. It wasn't just the stinginess of it that was so shocking but again how utterly blunt and tacky her response and attitude was. Even simply assisting us by quietly directing us to the bar to get another which we could pay for would've been an improvement. Rationing? I felt like we were at a Butlins!
Soon we were shown to our tables in the main dining room. Again decorated with he same ugly laminated signs only this time the whole damn room was bright purple and to our shock and disappointment the bloody DJ was set up INSIDE the dining room with his bright flashing disco lights and tacky music baring out off his speakers.
We had intended on having a nice romantic candle lit dinner with warm white lights dimmed and some lounge music playing quietly in the background and then skipping the party part of the evening but now we couldn't escape it.

Although we'd been required to make our menu selection in advance, on all the tables was a plain A4 piece of paper printed in black and white the whole menu and all the choices. Not sure what the point of this was. We've had menus on the tables at other NYE nights on our tables before but in the past they've been a list of the selection we had made nicely presented on a small card to remind us of what we chose.

The food came and was good. Same poorly trained staff pushing past our chairs all night and sadly as all the lights in the room were pink purple we didn't quite get to enjoy the food presentation but it tasted wonderful - our compliments to the chef.
We left as soon as the food was over around 9.45pm.

The next morning breakfast was the same as before with he addition of bucks fizz and smoked salmon.

Overall this hotel has so much potential. The period features, the gym and pool, the location and not to forget their most precious asset - the chef - without whom they'd I'm sure be in quite a spot of trouble.
However, the hotel is being let down so much by the tacky additions to the decor during the festive period, the design and execution of the NYE 'experience', all those hideous multi coloured lights in the dining areas and the extremely poorly trained staff who don't go out of their way to help you or make your stay more comfortable and who are constantly trying to garishly up-sell you.
It didn't at all feel like a 4 star hotel in any way whatsoever and the whole NYE experience was HUGELY overpriced for what it was - A tacky three-course disco.
The whole experience was truly absent of sophistication and class.

Room Tip: The garden rooms have a good view but the walls are very thin - perhaps its quieter in older part of the hotel?
  • Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple
Jonathan O, General Manager at De Vere Oxford Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2017

Dear Axel D,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your experience at the hotel and bringing these things to my attention. I am delighted that you enjoyed your Garden room, and our award winning food. However, I am sorry that some aspects of your stay caused you disappointment and that we did not meet your expectations. As a team, we will be sure to review your constructive comments, the training of the team and the ambience created within the hotel. We are in the business of delighting our guests and exceeding their expectations, which we successfully do most of the time, but I can only apologise that we were not able to meet your expectations on this occasion. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to bring these matters to my attention, for it is only through constructive comments and observations, that we are able to continually monitor, maintain and improve our standards of guest care, and put right what is wrong. We do hope to see you again.
Warm Regards,

Reviewed 4 January 2017

This is the 6th year that we have stayed for 3 nights at this lovely hotel, between Christmas and New Year, and each stay we think it could not possibly be any better than the last but there always seems to be some little things that have improved. We first came to Oxford Thames 20+ years ago and have seen the hotel grow from a small, charming, personal well run establishment to what it is today. Although it is much larger now it still holds its charm and yes, the personal touch is still there, and yes it is still very well run even with the large increase in guests. From the moment we book in the Autumn, with Andreea, the little personal touches, remembering it's my husband's birthday whilst we will be staying for example, all make a good impression from the start. Rooms are lovely, restaurant food is very good and the staff go that extra mile to be helpful and make you genuinely feel welcome. Thank you Oxford Thames for another lovely stay and we will hopefully see you again same time in 2017, if not before.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple
Jonathan O, General Manager at De Vere Oxford Thames, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2017

Dear JnJBadby,
Thank you so much for writing such a wonderful review of De Vere Oxford Thames, following your return visit again this year. I am delighted that you continue to enjoy the ambience, food, the personal service we provide; and how pleased I was to read that Andreea and her attention to detail enabled you and your husband to have another wonderful stay. The team will be thrilled to read your kind comments as they very much enjoyed your company during your stay. I personally thank you for your kind recommendation of De Vere Oxford Thames and we look forward to welcoming the two of you back for many more stays with us.
Best regards,

Reviewed 4 January 2017

Stayed here on a 3 night New Year Package. Wonderful staff from greeting, restaurant (Christopher, Cesar et al) to the housekeeping. Wonderful food, particularly the evening meals. Very well organised and thoroughly recommend.

• Stayed: January 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Neil D,
Thank you for such positive feedback following your recent stay with us, at De Vere Oxford Thames, over New Year.
I'm delighted to hear that you particularly enjoyed your meals in the River Room Restaurant and were able to relax and appreciate the ambience of the hotel and it's grounds. We look forward to welcoming you back again to De Vere Oxford Thames very soon.
Warm regards,

Reviewed 3 January 2017

We have just returned from a New years package at this hotel, and can fully recommend it, the staff treat you as friends not a room number ant food is delicious and plentiful, it is in a delightful location with local buses to take you into Oxford

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled as a couple

Dear thehappyfour186334,
Thank you for such generous feedback, following your recent stay with us at De Vere Oxford Thames over New Year. The team and I are delighted with your comments, particularly the fact that you have appreciated and recognised the level of attention to detail and personal service that we passionately provide and that every aspect of the stay was memorable for you all.
We look forward to welcoming you to De Vere Oxford Thames again in the future.
Best wishes,

Reviewed 2 January 2017

Arrived on New Year's Eve expecting a relaxed and celebratory end to 2016.
Instead greeted - or correction- met- as the receptionist didn't even smile and welcome me . Things then began to slide as she couldn't find my name then asked her colleague and ,oh yes- there's a first name- that's where I saved it!
Room was fine but hot! The usual drinks left in the room but - no fridge- did I mention the room was hot!?
Now some food- theres a gala event and unless you booked- no food available. The receptionist then proceeded to google a list of places where I could get a sandwich!
Again- did I mention a relaxed end to 2016- spa...oh no Madame - all closed as its a holiday and one staff has left. Finally left a day early as no point- did my receptionist notice- did she ask the token - "how was your stay " did she heck. Keys returned and only response given was "that's it" and off she went. Complained to the general manager who proceeded to tell me how much he loved his job- but seeing previous reviews the script was taken out- I empathise , I'm so sorry you were disappointed- it's not the standard we expect- and oh btw- as a customer booking at this time of year - you should have known that no food or spa facilities would be available . My fault then eh. Poor ! Poor! Find somewhere else folks - remove the glitz and surrounding - dig below the surface and that 4 star rating is long overdue for a review . Hotel inspectors, where are you?

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled solo
3  Thank greavesjune82

Dear greavesjune82,
Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review following your experience at the hotel. As you stated, we did discuss together your feedback, and I can only reiterate what I said to you at the time, that that I am genuinely sorry that you were disappointed with your visit, and I can assure you, that as a team,we work passionately and tirelessly, to exceed guest's expectations and we are known for and pride ourselves on the high level of service and customer care that we normally give. Once again, please accept my sincerest apologies that you found the hotel and staff to be of a poor standard and that we did not meet with your expectations.
Best wishes,