“Executive double room poor value” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Oxford

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Holiday Inn Oxford
Ranked #9 of 44 Hotels in Oxford
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Executive double room poor value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 March 2012

Last year my partner and I stayed at the Holiday Inn Express just outside Cambridge and were pleasantly surprised that the standard double which we booked was more than a bland business person's week night stop-off joint. We therefore booked this hotel just outside Oxford expecting a similar standard, and because the standard double in Cambridge was so good we plumped for the executive double in Oxford for £140 on a Saturday night, thinking it would prove cracking value.

Unfortunately the room was bland, the bathroom in need if refurbishment and the décor was ghastly. Although the room was clean and it had a HD TV with a reasonable selection of channels, it was never worth £140. Furthermore, it was impossible to get hold of reception on the 'phone despite several attempts. Although this hotel would be fine for a business trip, that's all it should be used for. Accommodation suitable for a weekend trip away it is not.

Room Tip: Just go for the standard rooms if you want maximum value.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnOxford, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this review, 12 March 2012
Thank you for your comments following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Oxford. I am sorry that you were not impressed with our Executive Rooms, however they are different from our Standard bedrooms as they include additional items such as: Larger TV, Bathrobe, Chocolate Bar, Improved toilettries, Iron & Ironing Board and a safe.
I do hope that you will consider visiting us again in the future, when we look forward to welcoming you back.
Thank you once again.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Irvine, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

I liked this property a lot the minute I walked in. Built ten years ago, and remodeled five years ago, it has the new feel of the H.I. properties. I was concerned it might be old and noisy since it is so close to Oxford, but that was not the case. It is modern with modern amenities. The lobby is neat and clean, as was my room. I had a trouser press, and a quiet room (as the desk clerk promised me) towards the back and away from the elevator bank. In the room was a heated towel rack (and unlike the H.I. Heathrow Ariel it had towels in it) as well as a trouser press. The only possible downside is the rooms at the back overlook a small patio with tables, and I imagine when the weather is nice the tables will be filled with people smoking and, if experiences serves me right, keeping your window open in the summer won’t be pleasant.
They have a travel plaza (services) just across the lot with a Starbucks, a Waitrose (a grocery/convenience store that has fairly fresh sandwiches, a little fruit, pre-made meals, and assorted drinks) as well as a KFC, and next-door is the Travel Lodge. The best part is the fitness center, which is not a hotel fitness center but a decent sized gym, attached to the hotel with a pool, treadmills, weights, all connected to, and part of the hotel. They had big Life Fitness treadmills.
The internet was more than fast enough to hold a VOIP call, or download work emails, and easy to connect, but pricy at £45/3 days ($71USD). But, they did offer other packages, by the hour or by the day.
Breakfast was £10.50 if you pre-paid the night before or pre-paid, or £14.95 if you just walked in. I did pre-pay for breakfast for one day, and when I got there, the buffet was not running. They said I just had to order what I wanted it. Very disappointing, both in that I paid $15USD for a buffet that wasn’t available, as well as with the pretty lousy eggs and bacon I was served. The next day I went to Starbucks and got an All Day Breakfast Panini for £4 and was much more satisfied.
I needed a taxi to the Gloucester Green Bus station the next morning and the front desk had one arranged for me. It’s not the quaint Oxford Centre hotel experience, but with it just a bus ride away, you can get away from it at night. I’d stay here again for sure, although if I did find a good deal nearer city centre, I might think about that too.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Steve_N_018
HolidayInnOxford, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Thank you very much for posting your review on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Oxford. It is always a pleasure to receive such complimentary feedback and I am very pleased that you enjoyed your visit.
Unfortunately we could not offer the traditional buffet style breakfast as we had a problem with our hot servery therefore requiring our breakfast team to take individual orders - I can now confirm that this has been rectified accordingly.
I do hope that you will visit us again in the future when we look forward to welcoming you back.
Thank you once again for your kind comments which have been shared with the team.
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I wanted to take my family to see Blenheim Palace and Oxford, and came across a very good deal at this hotel. For £122.50 including cashback, the package included dinner,bed,breakfast and entry for four into Blenheim Palace for either day of our stay. That's just over £30 per head. On top of this you can convert your Blenheim tickets into annual passes once inside the palace, for no charge, giving you free access for a whole year.

The hotel was clean and noted my request for a quiet room, which was appreciated, it didnt feel like the room was next to a couple of busy roads. There seemed to be a little confusion over how many people were staying ( only bed linen for three) and also the package we were on in the restaurant. All these issues were quickly and efficiently dealt with by the helpful and polite Angelo in reception.

On arrival we left the car in the hotel car park and took the park and ride bus into Oxford to visit the Pitt Rivers Museum and the Ashmoleon, the bus transfer was easy and good value. The museums were fantastic.

We used the swimming pool with the kids in the evening and morning, which they loved.

In summary I was very happy with the package we received for the price I paid. The hotel is modern, and situated in a service area, but has great travel connections and access to some great places of interest.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room from floor 3 and above.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Richbonf
HolidayInnOxford, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this review, 28 February 2012
Thank you very much for your comments posted on Trip Advisor following your recent visit to Oxford. I am pleased that you found that the Hotel suited all of your requirements and that you took full use of the facilities, also that you and your family enjoyed your time at Blenheim.
I do hope that you will visit us again here at the Holiday Inn Oxford and thank you once again for your comments of which have been shared with the team and in particular Angelos.
Stockport
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

The location is great the rooms are clean

The lady at reception was lovely just on her own

Check out took 15 minutes whilst staff cleaned the lines on the bar and fussed around

At 8am you expect more than one person on the desk

Hired a conferance room again poorly serviced,asked reception for a clean down part way through the day nothing happened.Staff when they passed in the corridor were very efficient and polite.The restaurant staff were again excellent.

Conclusion the on the floor staff are great pleasent and efficient.The senior staff need to have a look at their own practices and help their own team if they want to deliver great service.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HolidayInnOxford, Operations Manager at Holiday Inn Oxford, responded to this review, 1 March 2012
Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor review. I am pleased that you liked the location of our Hotel and that you found the rooms clean and staff polite, efficient and friendly.
I would very much like the opportunity to discuss your findings relating to the senior team with you on your next visit to the Hotel.
Thank you once again for your comments.
derbyshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

We have been staying at this hotel for six years now as daughter is at Oxford university, what can I say we have never been dissapointed with anything, for the price you pay if you get a deal on the web, compared to the price of a hotel right in the centre, the park and ride is excellent anybody would think the centre is a million miles away as some people seem to think. Dont let this put you off.
Its also nice staff do remember you and treat you like friends.
Any requests we have are always carried out straight away.
The only thing we have noticed is the fresh fruit salad for breakfast is not as good as it was, but still plenty to eat.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank noway66
Thank you for posting your comments on Trip Advisor following your recent stay at the Holiday Inn Oxford. I am pleased that you continue to stay with us and that you enjoy our Hotel and facilities and that you always find our staff friendly and attentive.
It is always a pleasure to receive such feedback and I have shared your compliments with all the team.
Thank you once again and we look forward to welcoming you back.