3 people are viewing this hotel
MercureUSD 143
PricelineUSD 143
Hotels.comUSD 143
1,540 results
All reviews high street privilege room car park merton college old building central location excellent location eggs benedict within easy walking distance comfortable hotel centre of town cooked breakfast examination england pubs
Selected filters
Reviewed 26 August 2019

bar and lounge are very nice
bedroom clean and tidy a little bit small
a little tlc needed eg bathroom door bottom and table glass stained
bed was comfy
the wi-fi didnt work in room the whole weekend
drinks fine
breakfast was made to order , the tables very small and very close together
breakfasts were fine except for what i would say was a piece of glass or plastic in the omelette which we returned and showed the staff which to our disgust came back out and said it was sea salt which was white and what came out my omelette was clear and was not sea salt , altho the staff came back out with a bowl of sea salt and one piece of sea salt in a different dish claiming it was ours from the omelette which was not the piece found
only had one cup in room and no water but asked and was given to us straight away
car park was having work done which was a shame we couldn't use
location 5/10 mins walk to city centre
if your catching a bus back to the park and ride at redbridge its just round the corner from hotel bus number x13 , altho on way we got off at city centre on bus number 300 as it doesn't stop near hotel but its about 10/15 mins walk to hotel

1  Thank ken a
PeterWatt, General Manager at Mercure Oxford Eastgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2019

Dear Ken A

Thank you very much for your detailed review, really appreciated and a great report for the team to review and action going forward.

I was pleased to note thateyou had enjoyed the hotel and the facilities, however I was concerned that a piece of plastic was found in your omelette at breakfast. The breakfast chef always makes a fresh bowl of whisked free range eggs ready for a busy breakfast, I have that checks all his containers and any spoons used for service to ensure that they are not damaged or if they are there are removed immediately from the kitchen, very sorry.

I do apologise for the lack of car park, we have after a small delay started the excavation of the hotel car park in preparation for the construction of a small 17 bedroom extension. I am afraid the problem we have in Oxford is that the city is full of great and wonderful history, however every new contruction has to be inestigated as to what may have originally taken place prior to any construction work starting, it can delay work actually starting.

There are a number places to park ones vehicle throughout Oxford and I am very sorry if this was not explained at the time, the front desk personnel have all been trained.

I thank you again for your precise feedback, and I do hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed 22 August 2019

I chose this hotel for the Mercure reputation and its great location to a wedding venue I was attending. On arrival the reception staff were not on the ball and need some training. The system seemed to confuse them, we were told when booking that building works were ongoing and parking was not available. However, there were spaces and we secured one at a cost of £20. Per night. The same cost as the NCP car park down the road. The room was small but clean. The mini bar was empty and there was no bottled water, although it had been advertised when I booked. I was told this was because I was in a Classic room and I could drink the water from the bathroom tap! I checked before I called down to reception and it was still advertised as the amenities included in the room! The receptionist argued the point with me. I went across the road and bought some. I do think at this level it is not too much to expect some bottled water in your room. My room 212 has the kitchen fan outside the bathroom window and it rumbles all the time. It didn’t bother me but might be an irritant for some. There was a large gap under the bedroom door and light shone through all night. This could be easily fixed. Also the bedside light didn’t work. The breakfast was quite good but the cereal was served in large open and uncovered bowls on the buffet. Yuck. Good coffee though. So a mixed bag in terms of this hotel but a great location.

Room tip: Choose the higher room numbers. 204 is close to,the lifts so noisy and 212 is affected by the kitchen fan
Date of stay: August 2019
ManagerOxford, Manager at Mercure Oxford Eastgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2019

Dear Susan E,

Many thanks for your review following your stay with us at the Eastgate Hotel.

Please accept my most sincere apologies for your experience with us at the Eastgate Hotel and the confusion regarding our car parking. We started the groundworks for our current extension project back in July and as we had not seen any movement on that for a few days, we opened up a handful of spaces. Owing to the limited number of spaces available, we were not able to advertise parking for this time as we have operated on a first come first serve basis.

We have recently had a change to some of our room amenities and having just checked this, it does not seem to have updated on our website correctly. I have addressed this my reception team to supply water until such time as all our details are correct.

Thank you for your comment regarding the gap under the door. I have not previously been made aware of this but have asked my maintenance team to look in to a solution similar to a draught excluder to limit the light coming in to the bedroom.

I am very sorry that I was not able to meet you and address your concerns while you were with us at the hotel.

Malcolm Hood
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 19 August 2019

I love quirky places, so this was good for me! Ok breakfast, clean room. One problem: the drain in the shower was nearly blocked, and the person sent to fis it obviously just turned the water on, saw that it went down, and left. Not much help for me when all the water covered my feet in the shower the next day.

Date of stay: November 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Stuntsopran

Dear Stuntsopran,

Many thanks for your review following your stay with us at the Eastgate Hotel.

It is always a pleasure receiving such feedback from our guests.

Please accept my apologies for the drainage issue you encountered. I have addressed this my maintenance team and am implementing a full review of all our bathrooms to ensure the drainage runs away smoothly.

We do hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the future.

Malcolm Hood
Rooms Division Manager

Reviewed 14 August 2019

Beautiful hotel with very helpful friendly staff. ( every one of them ).We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in this stylish friendly hotel. Breakfast was very good including a great ala carts menu.
Would definitely recommend this hotel and you certainly need not look any further.
We were treated vey special and would definitely stay there again. My wife and I loved it.

Room tip: We had a standard room that was more than adequate.
Date of stay: August 2019
PeterWatt, General Manager at Mercure Oxford Eastgate Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2019

Dear FacebookGB

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Mercure Oxford Eastgate Hotel.

Oxford is a busy and vibrant city, with very few rooms in the city centre and we are the smallest of the hotel located in the city centre, and surrounded by the various college of Oxford University and directly opposite the main examination hall.

We have now moved into our new restaurant - Keepers Kitchen and Bar, which is totally different from before and we are enjoying the new environment along with the challenges of a new layout.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we trust you both enjoy the remainder of your holiday in the UK prior to return home.

Kind regards

Reviewed 13 August 2019 via mobile

This hotel is in a stunning location but this was a bit of a disappointing visit. We were greeted by a very nice receptionist who explained that the car park would only be available on the first day and that we would need to park elsewhere in town on day two. We paid to upgrade to a ‘prestige’ room. Unfortunately there was no hot water at all. We did not alert staff as we did not wish to have to move rooms. The TV had limited channels. The influx of a big coach party caused the kitchen staff to be pushed on the first day and the croissants were rather tired! Would not return to this hotel.

Date of stay: August 2019
Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear takeabreakaway

Thank you for your recent review and my apologies for the delay in responding.

I do apologise for the lack of cold water that you experienced on the last night and morning of your departure, we had not been aware of any issue until the early morning of your last day. The gas solenoide valve, which supplies the gas to the boilers in the hotel failed, resulting in the hot water system stopping and only cold water being available, sorry. On arrival at the hotel on Tuesday morning, we checked the system and realised there was a fault - called out main contractor who by 5 o'clock last night managed to get the system up and running having investigated the issue and then driven 3 hours to retrieve a new part, We had hot water, I am so sorry that we could not explain this at the time.

I am very embarrassed and upset that you had a delay in breakfast and the standard of croissant was not good, I have spoken to the head chef and it would appear that his breakfast chef had misread the amount of breakfasts and not prepared enough items in advance, please be assured that he has been spoken to and re-train on how to read the internal breakfast sheets.

We have taken on board your concerns and have spoken to the relevant personnel.

We trust you enjoyed the sights of Oxford and had a safe journey home.

Yours sincerely